Note to New Members ×

New Swoard model: the Dual

nils

Hi all,

We've been a bit busy and I forgot to post the news of our new model on bomber.

You'll find discussions as well as info from Jacques here:

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6312

PDF Brochure can be seen / downloaded here:

http://www.extremecarving.com/swoard/announcements/Swoard_DUAL_en.pdf

( 4.3 mb)

Basically we wanted a board able to carve well despite its shorter contact length, as well as ride with performance in the powder, be able to do small tricks and be ridden with hardboots and softboots as well. It has taken us 3 seasons and many prototypes do achieve this, and finally we were so happy with the result that we decided to release this new board.

Its name comes from the ability to achieve almost anything: It is able to EC to some extend, go air when needed and handle powder runs as well as mixed terrain. It will not be as performant as an Extremecarver or a 2m Swallowtail of course, but despite its freeride shape, it handles power carving turns pretty amazingly...

Softbooters will find a surprizingly easy board, able to guide them into carving world, with very very low angles ( 175cm is 27cm wide).

We hope you will have the chance to ride it, and see for yourselves...

More action pics and vids will be posted during the winter...Feedback from riders/ tests will also be, hopefully, on EC forum or here somehow!

Nils for the Swoard team

First of I must say that I really like your step into the softboot world :biggthump!

But as Jack pointed out, your text immediately reminds one of a BX board. I know that you are trying to market your board differently, but still it is built for similar purposes.

And therefore I would like to hear your opinion on the different constructions. If you look at top BX boards like the Kessler The Cross or the Apex Pro+, they come with the latest technology (metal, decambered nose and tail, new sidecut forms, bigger radii? (at least the Apex has 12.85m at 165)). Advantages have been discussed here many times. What´s your take on this subject? Why does Swoard not use these new technologies or am I just mistaken?

Cool! Sounds like many of the BX boards that are popular now. Although I wonder if you tried any longer radii in your prototyping? 10m seems very short for a 168, also 10.5m for 175.

not in softboots if your goal is carving without having to scrub off speed

Jack: its a bit different than a BX board because we kept the flex pattern very soft compare to what is needed in a BX board. We are testing stiffer versions for BX for the future.

The radii are kept in the middle range for various reasons, one beeing that, as Bordy and Bob said, in softboots you don't want to get too high speeds for high angle carving. Radii are therefore a compromise for softboots AND hardboots to be able to enjoy the versatility.

As for Titanal: Jacques will explain maybe later why we are not using it on this board. We have found that it is very hard to control torsion distribution with titanal, and since our goal is to control it against flex softness to be able to carve, the result is much better without it.

Nils

- Why 27 and not over?: its very simple and comes from the target of the board: be ridden by softbooters AND hardbooters. It means a hardbooters with lets say 35/28 angles or more is still able to turn the board on its edge, tilting it without having to fight with the tibia.

Simply put plates with 40° on a 30cm wide board and you'll understand the problem pretty quick... It means the board is a compromise, a positive one and not a stripped down version of specs so the performance can be achieved for hardboots and softboots

- why change the width of the board with the size: on the Extremecarver and on the Dual the idea is to give the same behaviour to all riders: it means the smaller guy on the 158 will be able to do the same things than the bigger guy on the 175, radii follow accordingly.. its more a parametric size growth than just a few cm added here and there. I have personally difficulties to understand why some manufacturers just add lenght, edge length and keep the width the same on their models... its sounds not right..

Anyway it is our philosophy regarding this ' width' progressive increase.

Hope this answers your questions!

Nils

• 2 months later...

Here is the first decent pics we get from the Dual in action, protos were not cute and first prod boards were too late in the season so here it is! Thnx to rider and to photographer :)..there is old school mood in those pics ( maybe its the hair :) or the stoked face :).

Resort: Peyragudes, Pyreneans, France, January 10, 2010. / Swoard Dual 168

Nils

pierre1small.jpg

pierre2small.jpg

pierre4small.jpg

pierre5small.jpg

pierre6small.jpg

pierre7small.jpg

Here is the first decent pics we get from the Dual in action, protos were not cute and first prod boards were too late in the season so here it is! Thnx to rider and to photographer :)..there is old school mood in those pics ( maybe its the hair :) or the stoked face :).

Resort: Peyragudes, Pyreneans, France, January 10, 2010. / Swoard Dual 168

Nils

So this board only turns heelside? Nice pics would love to see some toes too.