Note to New Members ×

Anyone ridden the never reverse-cambered (2009/2010) Tanker?

Helvetico

The new tanker works well in all conditions...I am not going to even try to start the arguments for or against reverse camber, but as for the tankers performance compared with last years, it does ride a bit different. The full rocker allows the board to flow through turns much easier than the previous years model and yes it will still carve, but that is not what it is designed for. I took the rockered boards to Mt Baker and Mt Hood in the spring of last year and let Bryan (oldsnowbaords), Jim, and Jon Dahl give them a try and they all enjoyed the ride with Hardboots in very mixed conditions with almost no powder. Addtionally, RJ (exoticboards) held the Tankers in Tahoe event in April and he, Baptiste, and Randy T. all rode the board with plates as well and they enjoyed the ride of the new shape as well, but I will let them answer with their own reviews on the board. I ride primarily with soft boots and own all of the 2m tankers that have been made and I like the rocker for all but really hard snow days and on those days I would prefer the regular camber model. Hope that helps.

cheers,

sandy

p.s. Shawn Farmer liked the new shape well enough while we were in Tahoe that he is now riding for Rad-Air on the rockered 172 and 200.

I actually rode 2 different prototype rockered tankers last in more like carving conditions . They actually where very easy to ride and held a good carving line in mixed conditions. The will be super in powder ! They had 3 and 6 degree rockered ones to try and decided on the 3 degree for production.

Anyways buy a new and I will trade it for last years 2k if you dont like it.

Jim

We will let you know in a month or so :eplus2: Can't wait to check out the final results. I enjoyed the Proto type, I was riding around hollering "Rocker Can't Carve" and acting like a 52 year old park rat. Buttering this and bonking that. Riding with my hands down at my side and my pants about to fall off :1luvu:

To be frank, chances are you won't likely be owning one until next year.

This years model is an anniversary ltd edition of only 100 boards. Majority of which are already in the hands of their owners. I believe RJ has the only four available 2010 Tanker 200cm in the USA.

Rad-Air has served me well for many years. I can't wait to see what it will do for me this winter!! Sure is purdy!!!

My initial flex test would lead me to believe that Sandy was right, a bit stiffer than the proto types and not quite as much rocker through the middle. Looks like it should do the trick.

post-198-141842289048_thumb.jpg

post-198-14184228905_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842289052_thumb.jpg

I actually rode 2 different prototype rockered tankers last in more like carving conditions . They actually where very easy to ride and held a good carving line in mixed conditions. The will be super in powder ! They had 3 and 6 degree rockered ones to try and decided on the 3 degree for production.

Anyways buy a new and I will trade it for last years 2k if you dont like it.

Jim

Jim, get out that big roll of bills, you are going to want one of these. Well maybe not, caus you are thinking your just going to ride mine :eek::confused::biggthump

why has Rad-Air stopped making conventional Tankers entirely?

http://www.rad-air.com/09/en/svt.php

Why indeed?

Because they rode them last year in the pow and got completely stoked about the ride that they made the entire run "rockered".

Having ridden the proto type on groomers last season. I can tell you they can still carve!!

post-198-141842289061_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842289062_thumb.jpg

Corey, It is aluminum.

Year: 2010

Specs:

6000 grade sintered base

Perforated 48 HRC Carbon Steel edges

Vulcanised rubber edge damping

Biaxial & Triaxial Carbon / Fibreglass laminate

Carbon Stringers

8 Aramid stringers for shock absorption

Super Light tip to tail wood core

35 degree bevelled ABS sidewalls

Aluminium topsheet

post-198-141842289072_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842289074_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842289077_thumb.jpg

I'd buy last year's model - it's half the price, and will work well in all conditions.

There are some really killer deals on the last three years of boards at Exoticboards.com

I still love my 2003 in many conditions. (It being the heaviest of my Tanker quiver) They all ride well but slightly and not so slightly different.

The Red 2005 (I think) that I bought from Sandy, sold to Brett, bought back from Brett, rode and sold back to Sandy was one of my favorites. It would not have been sold had it not been Sandy trying to recreate is "EVERY TANKER 200cm MODEL EVER MADE COLLECTION" PS, What a site that is!!

A POW board thats not a carving board. eh.gif

I think this thread needs to be moved to Off Topic just like the POW Skwal.

:rolleyes:

You might be able to buy some of the older models at Exotic Snowboards.

http://www.exoticboards.com/snowboards.html

Looks like Rad Air totally revamped their line with rocker.

I , for one, don't really care much where it goes on the forum, however, it does carve nicely. Maybe it was moved because Skwals are Skwals?. Seems like they should be considered a type of snowboard but not sure the users want that either? My personal definition of "Snowboard" is perhaps much broader and more incompassing that others. Being a serious lover of all things oldsnowboards, it comes up more frequently. Seems to me that a Skwal is a Skwal Snowboard? I could be VERY wrong in some circles. I hope we are more open about such things here at Bomber Community.

I need a new longboard, and this one is very shiny, but will it be any good in mixed conditions? What I've read so far from Sean Martin's post leads me to believe it won't.

If the jury is still out on this technology, why has Rad-Air stopped making conventional Tankers entirely?

http://www.rad-air.com/09/en/svt.php

Being in Europe, you probably have a much better chance of getting your hands on one. Pretty steep price but it is a "Special" board.

My guess is next years 2011 will incorporate much of the same good stuff and be back down to the normal pricing structure. You pay a premium for having it this season and all purdy!! Me? It was just one of those "Had to have it kinda things" a long awaited treat after a couple tough years.

Then again, I only have to justify it in my own mind and that was pretty easy :eplus2::biggthump

Interesting they opted for a single (top) sheet of aluminum... It tends to contract a lot more then plastics in the cold, so it is crucial to have the bottom layer to stabilise the composite. Unless they wanted to have "active rocker system" - colder it gets, more rocker to the board ;)

Maybe all that carbon at the bottom does the trick...

How can we get Harry to buil a comemorative Hornet, or Hornet 2, using all that fancy technology from Tankers? With a bit of rounded tail and slightly more nose, it would be a killer all-rounder...

Love to see that too!! My guess is all it would take is a way to get Harry on one and promise that they would all sell? I think Harry is very open minded.

Wow Bryan I am in for a new silvertanker . They are way cool looking. Thanks for giving me the call tonight !

Jim, swing by, check them out in person. Much more impressive in the hand.

There are a number of new places to have a beer near by too :eplus2: or just hit Blind Onion for some killer Pizza? It is about time to get a few Oldshool -Powder Pigs-Carving Fools-Oldsnowboarders together isn't it??