Note to New Members ×

Who has good early season snow???

MUD

yeah, for alpine I'd go with copper, great place to carve when there's not too many people around, steamboat too, but I prefer copper that early based on lay out of the resort. steamboat has some miserable flat spots that can be muddy in the early season. not exactly what I want to drag nice board through or burn up my legs on.

Hey. I take exception to that slam on resort snow reports. I look at the numbers and tell the truth. Winter Park has always under-reported conditions and lifts open. I can't say that holds true for all resorts though.

I know another Co resort that has a tendancy to do that, I have shown up more than once with a carving board expecting dust on crust and finding a foot of freshies and no tanker

mario

I know another Co resort that has a tendancy to do that, I have shown up more than once with a carving board expecting dust on crust and finding a foot of freshies and no tanker

mario

Maybe you folks out West are more honest. I've had bad early season experiences at Killington and Tremblant. I once went to Killington in December based on a solid snow report and found that there were exposed steel cables on the runs. I got a nice base grind that day.

Mt. Tremblant is the worst. They count every cat track, run-out and cafeteria line when they report open runs.

Our 3 suburban mountains are pretty bad with snow reports. Cypress has their depth stick at the most wind drifted place you can imagine. When they say 200cm you can be sure it is about 100cm... Also to optimistic with fresh report, often they give 24hrs or even 48hrs cumulative. Although, I have to admit that few times they reported less then it fell, but that's mostly on the days when it kept dumping continuosly.

Whistler seems to be a bit more realistic about the depth...

Back to the real topic, when we are in a snowy year, we often have epic conditions in December.

Interesting topic. I've found the reports at Mt. Snow (one of my regular hills) to be surprisingly witty and enjoyable the last few years. Still, they have switched over to reporting "skiable acres" instead of trails--which really means nothing to most folks. A few other resorts are doing this as well. Obfuscation if you ask me.

And funny about your observations out west. It reminds me of how, around here, the wave cams at several local beaches seem to develop "technical difficulties" every time there's a good swell.

Hey all,

Who has good early season snow out west? late November early December time-frame.....

Thanks.

Mt Hood / It is pretty common for either Timberline and or Mt Hood Meadows to open in the second week of November.

Technically, we always have snow at Timberline. Typically it only closes in Sept. for maintenance.

Mt Bachelor opens at approx. the same time give or take a week.

I'm hoping to carve before Halloween this year :) Mammoth usually opens 1st or 2nd week of November with a white ribbon of death but hopefully El Nino changes that.

5. Mammoth Mountain, California The snow gods always seem to favor Mammoth Mountain; in fact, in some spots on the mountain the snow never melts. Last season they had awesome early snow, and they were skiing and riding here until well after the Fourth of July.