Note to New Members ×

Exotic Materials?

tex1230

To stop messing up the HFP thread, how about a separate discussion of the magic materials?

Texalium

Titanal

Zylon

Carbon Fiber

whatever else...

a quick search of the manufacturer's website shows Texalium is just a cosmetically enhanced fiberglass, not the super-strong material some have claimed...feel free to argue the point, as I do not understand all of the factors in board building - and the cosmetic metal additive may interact with resins or something...

Zylon - someone said this was synthetic spiderweb? I know it was used in body armor...

Titanal - a high-strength alloy of titanium and aluminum?

Vectran?

These fibres are noted for thermal stability at high temperatures, high strength and modulus, low creep, and good chemical stability. They are moisture resistant and are generally stable in hostile environments. They have gold color. They are often used in combination with some polyester as a coating around Vectran core; polyurethane coating can improve abrasion resistance and act as a water barrier. Vectran has melting point of 330 °C, with progressive strength loss from 220 °C. As it has high resistance to ultraviolet radiation, it can be used outside for long term, if inspected regularly.

-from wiki (not the most reliable source, but a good start.)

very cool chart of the vibration dampening ability of vectran:

http://www.vectranfiber.com/pdf/21Pages%20from%20Vectran_broc_final61206-13.pdf

-from Vectran website

It has only traces of Titanium, if any...

However, it is a high strength alu alloy. More or less the same as regular 7000 series aluminum.

Lot of ski manufacturesrs say "Titanium" on their products, but actually mean Titanal. I guess it sounds better to the potential buyer.

Titanium also is not very solid, though very light and resistant to deformation. I remember having broken in two rollerskates chassis made of titanal. Now the top of the line is aluminium 7000 or magnesium.

Just a quick question on Carbon fiber ? I was recently considering a carbon skimboard and noted that there was a big price difference between the US and Europe websites of the same brand. I don't know how nor where they actually produce the boards, but it occured to me that carbon fiber may actually be more expensive for manufacturers in the US than in Europe.

I am surprised that silver is not used or envisaged, as it is supposed to have so many properties.

Titanium also is not very solid, though very light and resistant to deformation. I remember having broken in two rollerskates chassis made of titanal. Now the top of the line is aluminium 7000 or magnesium. quote]

Were the skate chassis titanal or titanium

titanal is alloy titanium is titanium

I'm looking at titanium skate chassis and trucks

why not get lighter? but am interested in your having problems

I'm on a titanium bicycle frame with a solid titanium stem and have never had or heard of any problems unlike magnesium which is brittle

not to off subject :)

It was titanium (Ti 22). Very light chassis indeed. I can't remember for sure the brand name - maybe zephyr - but broke it in half on landing a big jump over stairs. I should have pointed out that the chassis was not designed for this purpose and I kind of knew what to expect. Carbon fiber chassis became popular and the norm (variflex) soon after.

I would simply assume your bike is designed for speed and doesn't need to handle big shocks as a bx or mountain bike would have to.

Djulez sorry to mark that one up as an ASSumption, but I must.

Ti bikes are very established both on the road and the mountain sides of the spectrum.

They are said to provide the supposed supple feel of steel with a serious weight advantage whilst still maintaining much of the strength.

That, and they are bitchin!

Jeff Jones with his Ti trussed fork and curvacious frame heading towards the earth. Edit: Forgot just how much Jones bikes are, 5,500 for the frameset!

riding16.jpg

Sorry King I don't know much about bikes, but what I remember from the time I used to hang around with freestylers in the pipes is that bx/pipe frames were made of chrome-molybdene, not titanium or aluminium. I may be out of date on this, sure.

check this review of a ti bmx frame: http://bmx.transworld.net/2009/01/20/khes-prototype-titanium-flatland-frame/

The properties you describe for Ti are exactly what was great with this chassis, compared to other heavier metal alloys. But I am talking about extreme manoeuvers, not the usual practice. In my experience and in a relatively specific sport, carbon fiber was more solid than Ti. I only broke a carbon fiber chassis once, but landing an aerial on the coping, which was direct impact on metal.

Ursle, You are talking about Ti trucks for skate: do you mean street/ramp or carve/downhill ? In my recollection Indies are still made of steel.

I was recently considering a carbon skimboard and noted that there was a big price difference between the US and Europe websites of the same brand. I don't know how nor where they actually produce the boards, but it occured to me that carbon fiber may actually be more expensive for manufacturers in the US than in Europe.

in the U.S. (and maybe elsewhere) because of defense-related aero manufacturing and Boeing's big new passenger plane (?) on which they'd been so successful in getting advance orders worldwide (?)

This may be "old" info and reality by now.

I do know that as I've watched Ebay carbon fabric prices over a couple of years, they seem to have climbed a lot.

BB

Texalium: "Hexcel texalium is a type of fabric used mainly for cosmetic reasons, having the same properties of standard 6 ounce fiberglass cloth. 2x2 twill weave with minor additional weight due to the hexcel texalium fabric coating that gives this fabric a metallic silver appearance."

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4936

Hexcel invented it. Fiberglass powder-coated with aluminum. Their own site has even less info other than it has an eye-catching appearance.

Vectran is hot in sails right now. Virus and a few others make boards with Vectran. Zylon = synthetic spider silk.

For whatever reason, Texalium feels "softer" than carbon. A board with carbon is more tinny sounding, texalium feels a bit quieter and softer, probably because it's glass fiber, not carbon fiber. Then the synthetic spider strand - wow - quiet and soft but makes the board grippy and snappy. Real nice.

I am surprised that silver is not used or envisaged, as it is supposed to have so many properties.

silver doesn't have any notable mechanical properties that would make it useful as a structural material. it's a soft metal like gold.

zylon® is a polymer material with very high tensile strength and modulus (better than the aramid class of fibers, like kevlar®). i guess they'd call any new crop of fibers that outperforms the previous generation "synthetic spider silk". the differences in reality are too vast.

texalium® makes things look pretty. couldn't find any mechanical data. all I could find digging through Hexcel's website was that they consider it an Aesthetic Glass Fabric (E-glass fiber powder coated with Al).

Ursle, You are talking about Ti trucks for skate: do you mean street/ramp or carve/downhill ? In my recollection Indies are still made of steel.

I street skate

carbon fiber trucks don't really last for me, always been on aluminum

if I can cut the weight of the skates down I'm willing to try titanium

I'd also be interested in a titanium snowboard

almost on subject

before I lost my music room (16 years ago-daughter, she was just inducted into the national honor society how time passes) I used to tune the doors and walls to 40hz with vibration tuning gizmos I see sean is tuning boards to 70hz

I can see a quiver consisting of boards with different vibration frequencies.. ice vs pow, just speculation here must be summer

... bx/pipe frames were made of chrome-molybdene...
just for clarification, most of those frames are medium-alloy STEEL that contains chrome and molybdenum in addition to other more common constituents. Hence these became known as Chrome-Moly even though they are mostly iron.

example: SAE steel 4140 carbon .40%, Manganese .87%, Chromium .95%, Molydenum .20%, silicon .25%, 97.3% balance is iron

By the way.... how much TITANIUM does Columbia use in their parkas?

Jack, this was a good joke a couple of years ago !

Metal is commonplace nowadays and exotic materials too !

===============================================

Having said this...

I just ordered a "das dekapitator" with a macassar wood finish, to look cool :eplus2:

Like this one too:

At company x, you will not find a catalog with diagrams, curves flexibility and descriptions of muddy Antivibration system with masturbatory expansion. The boards x are designed for riders who know how to ride and "insiders" enough to do without the pseudo technoïd lingo major manufacturer whose use and abuse to drown the bitch.

(my translation of swell panik website)

For whatever reason, Texalium feels "softer" than carbon. A board with carbon is more tinny sounding, texalium feels a bit quieter and softer, probably because it's glass fiber, not carbon fiber. Then the synthetic spider strand - wow - quiet and soft but makes the board grippy and snappy. Real nice.

right, I agree, just like a glass fly rod is way softer than a carbon rod

texalium is glass plain and simple from the available information.

this zylon stuff sounds interesting!

right, I agree, just like a glass fly rod is way softer than a carbon rod

texalium is glass plain and simple from the available information.

this zylon stuff sounds interesting!

Zylon: It´s been done already.

Ask Frank, Ray, Bola, TVR or whoever else that drives a Virus board decently

The most responsive board ever in my opinion :1luvu: