Note to New Members ×

The Float

nigelc

yeah, I agree with Erik

either I'm missing something or it's a skill that we all have to master to even a half decent rider.

I think at least most of us are doing it with every turn we make to some degree.

the biggest difference seems to be our descriptions of how we accomplish the same thing. lots of input we give our boards people will describe in totally different ways. Whats actually happening may actually be what we trying to do (say pressure the nose or "peddle") but it still accomplishes the same thing.

Semantics can make you stiff...

Think of your board as a Guitar string and your body as the thumb

that is plucking it...The more you pluck the better the music. :biggthump

Expert snowboarders are technical, precise, and fluid riders, however people with overly active analytical minds often struggle with the flow of the movements that are necessary to be fluid and precise, but knowledge is power! The trick is to balance the technical knowledge with the skills and the riding to become fluid, versatile/adaptable, powerful, and precise.

I have met a lot of snowboarders (and guitar players) who have been doing it for years but they still can’t make good turns or good music.

Only perfect practice provides perfect results!

Practicing incorrect movements reinforces those incorrect movements, which will result in bad habits that will be very difficult to correct later on.

Understanding the technical terminology and knowing how and why things work (or do not work) is beneficial to learning and being able to efficiently communicate.

If you don’t understand it, then that indicates you don’t know it. If that’s the case, you might want to take a lesson from someone who knows it, can do it, and can teach it. ;)

Understanding the technical terminology and knowing how and why things work (or do not work) is beneficial to learning and being able to efficiently communicate.

If you don’t understand it, then that indicates you don’t know it. If that’s the case, you might want to take a lesson from someone who knows it, can do it, and can teach it. ;)

Bullsh!t.

Just because I can't tell you in your terms what is happenning throughout my turn, or skid, or whatever, does not mean I don't understand it. My muscles have a better memory than my mind...and if I have to think about every part of a turn, I can guarantee it will fall apart.

Bullsh!t.

Just because I can't tell you in your terms what is happenning throughout my turn, or skid, or whatever, does not mean I don't understand it. My muscles have a better memory than my mind...and if I have to think about every part of a turn, I can guarantee it will fall apart.

yes, I agree to a certain extent.

No schoolrider you're giving a standard PSIA lecture and there's less to it for most people.

Even if the movements are right it might be for the wrong reasons. doesn't matter though as long as you don't focus too much on how the board is working. I've heard softboot AASI guys talk about twisting the board before but there's so many variables that to me their movement is fine but but the reasoning behind it is flawed.

I've known some pros, some of which are clueless about HOW their gear works but are unreal at making it work. that's the other side of it, some people figure it out pretty naturally.

Bullsh!t.

I never said, "if you can’t explain it then you don't understand it".

I said, "If you don’t understand it, then that <b>indicates</b> you don’t know it".

Those are two completely different statement, you have twisted what I said and my use of the word "indicates" is not an absolute meaning ("indicates" as in a sign that you don’t know it – it is not the same meaning as saying "you don’t know it").

I agree that there are people who can do it but they can’t explain it, and that when something becomes instinctive through repetition then you don’t need to think about it. However, I think you’ll agree that if a person can’t explain it, then they are not the most qualified person to teach it to others.

Even if the movements are right it might be for the wrong reasons.

If you’re using movements for the wrong reasons then they might not the best choice of movements.

Try this one then!

Think of your board as a Book, and in your case the Body is made up

of all the Words in the Dictionary...Then ask yourself this,

Just where do Instructors come from anyway?

Who taught You, Who taught Them?

Can you do a Backside Floater?

Do you know what a backside floater is? of course not!

It is a move I made up years ago and named. :rolleyes:

Will I teach it to you...maybe :D

Some people can read better and faster than others – they are usually the ones who have had better instruction.

A Backside Floater comes from a trick that surfers do - when they "float" on the lip of the wave (ride along on top of the breaking lip on their backside). That trick was adapted to skateboarding and snowboarding a long time ago. I have several old videos that show Craig Kelly doing Backside Floaters on ridges and spines. It’s actually an easy trick to learn, but since you invented it then you must know that. ;)

It looks like this has been too much mental stimulation for some – sorry!

I'm working on a picture and pop-up book. :1luvu:

sorry you disagree with my premise that to much input can make us stiff and tight. No disrespect intended. :)

Actually, I do agree. I thought this point came across when I said, “Expert snowboarders are technical, precise, and fluid riders, however people with overly active analytical minds often struggle with the flow of the movements that are necessary to be fluid and precise, but knowledge is power! The trick is to balance the technical knowledge with the skills and the riding to become fluid, versatile/adaptable, powerful, and precise.”

I'd love to rip some carving backside floaters with you sometime.

Have a great summer (I'm probably done posting till next season).

On the hill don does have a knack for being able to articulate quickly and precisely what his students are doing (and doing wrong) and can convey the message in a few words and a few "like this!" follow-me moves.

He's way more "talky" or theoretical in this thread than he is on the hill. Even "master carvers" would be served by his keen eye. But it is good to know he knows WTF he's talkin' about.

On the hill don does have a knack for being able to articulate quickly and precisely what his students are doing (and doing wrong) and can convey the message in a few words and a few "like this!" follow-me moves.

He's way more "talky" or theoretical in this thread than he is on the hill. Even "master carvers" would be served by his keen eye. But it is good to know he knows WTF he's talkin' about.

With your video skills and Don's teaching prowess, perhaps we can look forward to some instructional "How To" videos next season?

Some of the videographers and alpine instructors will eventually get together to produce some instructional videos. Tom has done some and they are all welcome for sure!!

See you next winter Don!! Thanks again for the tasty "Get Well" package, I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!

Noschool has been skoolin' riders since I met him 20 yrs ago at 'acres, I'm sure his riding, tech knowledge, teaching skill have distilled like a fine whiskey since then.

You don't have to ride well to understand b.e.r.p. & d.i.r.t. & you don't have to understand b.e.r.p. & d.i.r.t. to ride well and go big.

Elite instructors, by way of practice,practice,PRACTICE, know & do, with distilled communication skills, and adapt the retoric to an individuals learning style.

Over analyzation can distract the body/muscle memory from feeling the fluidity required for adaptive/versital riding,

ie turning anywhere anytime in any conditions.

may the float be with you