Note to New Members ×

Jack Vs Alex toeside

alexgforce

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the reaction I'm looking for, I will use either position with respect to the upper body.

If I want to let the board launch ahead of my core, I will "stay out of it's way" in a position like Jack's. It makes down-unweighting separation easier, aka- Feeding the dollar, push-pull and so on.

If I want to up-unweight, or get some torso "pop" from the turn and advance my whole body forward, I will "get in it's way" and stand on it like Alex.

Two examples of this would be;

-Super-fast edge change... Jack method.

-Loading up to jump off the toe edge (bridging a bump, say). Alex tech.

It has been noted that Alex is deeper in the turn, but I doubt his position would be like Jack's if the photo was taken a moment later.

The desired result is what is important here. Phils comment, looking at torso before arm / hand position, is sound. As a racer "getting in the way" of the return spring could have you wind up out of the course. The same could be true, however, for a rider in the Jack style who is careless and lets the board get away from him when it pops.

:-) Well if you're being *that* picky about style, then the toeside shot of the racer is rather spoilt by the huge halo in the snow around the rider, especially around that left arm. Probably it was under exposed and clumsily fixed with shadows/ highlight?

Softbootsailer; Step into those hardboots and that could be you.

YEA, I agree with Bola, come and join us, it's about time now. Not that we see you next season in your rubberboots again all the time ;) Hard enough to live with the fact that John Gilmore is... well, don't want to get started something new here...

(Btw. I consider it the "sunny" side)

Cheers!

Dropping low and not touching the snow is entirely dooable, but there is some sort of inner need that we posess that makes us want to touch it. Its the connection we make to it and be "one" with the snow that seperates us from other snowboarders IMHO.

then again, If Im really ripping I do NOT want to touch the snow because one split second of bad form and it is all it takes to bust a rad/ulna or worse. I had one close call where my arm was "snapped-back" behind me as I caught a bit too hard of an arm drag in the snow and POW ! my arn felt like it was going to rip right out the socket.

cant stress enough KEEP YOUR ARMS OUT IN FRONT ! lol.:freak3:

You are right there is no "right or wrong"

But some positions are stronger than others. Some positions will allow you to recover faster than others. Some will allow you to ride a cleaner edge in more varible conditions easier than others........

Grazing your hand on the snow is not an issue if you have "let the snow come to you" and your center of mass is that low anyway. The problem is with breaking at the waist and bending over which if usually caused by reaching down for the snow.

I like to use my hands like a motorcycle racer uses their knees. It's just a feeler to gauge how far over I am. I would say if you're riding at 9/10ths or more and you're on the brink and you're busy thinking about whether your hand is on the snow or off, you're probably going to lose the turn.

• 2 weeks later...
Grazing your hand on the snow is not an issue if you have "let the snow come to you" and your center of mass is that low anyway. The problem is with breaking at the waist and bending over which if usually caused by reaching down for the snow.

I am so with Jack on this! Too many times I see people whose only purpose is to touch the snow ASAP, with their entire body completely unbalanced and in such a position they cannot flex it properly anymore. But hey, if that is what they want - let them do it. If however, they would be on a somewhat less forgiving slope, this is not the technique to use IMO. Shifting the hips towards the snow and not necessarily touching the snow, although it might happen. Quite often I notice racers touching the snow, not for a specific purpose, but it happens...

@Philfell: You're right, I would like to add one more thing: touching the snow means if you don't lift your hand you'll gonna hit the gate, too...It just sooo hurts... :mad:

http://www.frozenlines.com/racing/20080127_EC_PGS_Sudelfeld/video-0081.mp4

At the first gate it shows what happens if you touch or don't touch a gate during a PGS race. (Schoch vs. unknown rider) Race was at Sudelfeld (D), January 2008, and I sucked.

I am so with Jack on this! Too many times I see people whose only purpose is to touch the snow ASAP, with their entire body completely unbalanced and in such a position they cannot flex it properly anymore.

Totally agreed. I see way too many people these days just “reaching” for the snow and totally bent in the upper body... it totally messes with the balance and in my opinion looks dumb on top of it… only time, lots of time on the mountain will bring the rider further to the ground, if this is actually the goal at all. It seems these days for many it’s the only goal… YEAHH I AM TOUCHING THE SNOWWWWW :biggthump

Cheers

PS. Ah, why do "regular riders rule"?

• 3 weeks later...

Splitt'n hairs??? Look at the avatar. 65 years old! On Sitka at PC. Dave was on that run too. Serious speed! You young guns got something to shoot for? Living long enough to do this as old people?? LOL This is great fun, anyway you cut it! Tim

Splitt'n hairs??? Look at the avatar. 65 years old! On Sitka at PC. Dave was on that run too. Serious speed! You young guns got something to shoot for? Living long enough to do this as old people?? LOL This is great fun, anyway you cut it! Tim

You are so incorrigible and lovable. You've given me something to shoot for (instead of my neighbor across the street who's dog barks at 6 am on Sunday mornings). Great avatar!

Mark

Totally agreed. I see way too many people these days just “reaching” for the snow and totally bent in the upper body... it totally messes with the balance and in my opinion looks dumb on top of it… only time, lots of time on the mountain will bring the rider further to the ground, if this is actually the goal at all. It seems these days for many it’s the only goal… YEAHH I AM TOUCHING THE SNOWWWWW :biggthump

Cheers

Why? They don't rule! We're on the northern hemisphere, everything turns right. Therefore Goofyriders with the right foot in front are much better in terms of carving. Regulars should all move to the southern hemisphere, there is your home! Or to compensate a little, drink milk with righthanded milkacids. This may help you to improve!

Oh, and after SNOOOOOOOWtoched, you're going for

SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED :eplus2:

Cheers

I am with Max on the goofy thing.... You regulars go south !!!

But seriously, I have got that bending problem.... whenever I am too slow, insecure or when the slopes are ****ty, I bend to get the turn initiation, then stretch.

Even counterrotate if needed.

Than fastly swift weight backwards to rescue it all.

This also is to avoid to get too fast too early on steeper pitch.

It´s normal I guess, untill you are totally or more secure.

Ray, we drove together 1.3 years ago and I hope that has stayed in your memory so you can evaluate this comment

cheers

Eric

Ray, we drove together 1.3 years ago and I hope that has stayed in your memory so you can evaluate this comment

cheers

Eric

Eric. Man, my memory is sooooo bad, I can’t remember at all :rolleyes: I guess only way to check, you HAVE to come back to Aspen next season :D