150 members have voted

1. 1. Rate your skillz

• World Cup/Olympic
    • Master Freecarver
    • One of the best on my hill
    • Right down the middle average
    • I suck
    • I only come here to chat with the cool carve geeks
    • I thought I was good, but BB said my equipment sucks, So I'm re-evaluating

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by tex1230 viewpost.gif

Jack changed it a little. there were actually fewer options originally.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

According to the poll I don't suck anymore! woohoo! Now I'm average :)

once again i was too late, if i voted early enough i could have been a better rider without the help of one of those "NEW BOARDS"

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say I'm one of the best on my hill...that is of course if AlexJ, or PaulK, or Shaggy, or Eric don't show up. But then again that rarely happens:lol:

haha, you still rip and you are WAY more cute than the stratton boys you run with.

With your avatar in mind, I'll have to change my "Special Olympic" category.

Welcome to the small club with of gifted athletes.

Like that, eh? I crack up every time I see that pic (I can't even take credit for it - it's not me and I didn't take it, though it is a friend of mine - I think it is his good side) He's a special guy.

Man, you're back to the regular "Special Olympics".

Ha! I'm not sure I ever left. Actually, it won't be long before I can compete in both the senior and special olympics. Maybe somewhere out there there's an olympic category just for me...

I think it depends on your reference. Technically, I think I am average: I can carve whole runs (green and blue), remain in control and have fun. I do what I can on black runs (which involves lots of skidding/speed checks). I don't think I am much to look at as I am mostly a static rider, but I get around. My technique is not necessarily good, but I don't think I suck. There are lots of better riders out there, and when I look at them, I think that statistically I am below average.

@Jack: You should've added "Terminal Intermediate" as a catergory.:p

literally :lol::lol::lol: at the poll results. The egos on this site are astounding.

There are some RIPPERS though.

Me? Average or below in my opinion. I have some good days but my technique is horrible and variable conditions kill me.

That, and the fact that I understand the concept of humility. Wow.

Lord of the Ruts

literally at the poll results. The egos on this site are astounding.

Ya you nailed it also. I can't believe that there were 7 other guys that think they're in the same category as me. Some of the Egos are hard to believe.

Course I had my own "Special Bump Olympics" going. I think there's only 4 entered so far, so I only have to not be last to medal.

who are very good / excellent riders....

wouldn't actually have to mention how good they are - b/c people already know (and b/c saying "i rule" is just lame to begin with)...and they're not loud / outspoken guys to begin with...

i recall hearing about a psychological phenomenon that described most people thinking they are more skilled than they actually are...maybe it's just human nature.

Ya you nailed it also. I can't believe that there were 7 other guys that think they're in the same category as me. Some of the Egos are hard to believe.

Course I had my own "Special Bump Olympics" going. I think there's only 4 entered so far, so I only have to not be last to medal.

:lol::lol::lol: nice one.

the idea that we usually think we are better than we are is a valid one. I'm disappointed almost every time I see photos or vid of myself doing ANYTHING. We imagine we are one way, when we're not even close.

Only time I ever saw pics of myself where I looked "technically correct," fluid, stylish...the whole package, was skating ramps, bowls and ditches.

Bear in mind that a lot of the poll results got shifted up one notch after Jack monkeyed with the choices. Most of those "master freecarvers" are guys who said "one of the best at my hill".

Nope, all the votes are legit. If you voted before the change, it will show your vote in the wrong category in italics, but that's different logic and it doesn't affect the numbers.

I'm not surprised. I've seen lots of people at ECES/SES and other smaller gatherings that I would call Masters. I've also seen some WC types that weren't any better at freecarving, so I don't think we need lots of levels between MF and WC/O. Just because you race doesn't automatically mean you're a superior freecarver. I've seen a few examples of people who raced and didn't even know how to carve a "C" in the snow.

D-Sub is soapboxing just for the sake of it. This is an anonymous poll, so nobody's tooting their own horn here.

who are very good / excellent riders....

wouldn't actually have to mention how good they are - b/c people already know (and b/c saying "i rule" is just lame to begin with)...and they're not loud / outspoken guys to begin with...

i recall hearing about a psychological phenomenon that described most people thinking they are more skilled than they actually are...maybe it's just human nature.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 376pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=501 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 376pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 18322" width=501><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD class=xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 376pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=501 height=21>Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one's own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains.</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Yes, I'm sorry to have to say it, but it is clear that even some folks here hold overly favorable views of their own abilities.</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17 x:str="I suggest that this overestimation occurs because these folks who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: ">I suggest that this overestimation occurs because these folks who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>1. Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions to questions they fail to even ask of themselves and thus make unfortunate choices, but</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>2. their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize they are making errors.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:cool:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 376pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=501 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 376pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 18322" width=501><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD class=xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 376pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=501 height=21>Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one's own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl27 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains.</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Yes, I'm sorry to have to say it, but it is clear that even some folks here hold overly favorable views of their own abilities.</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17 x:str="I suggest that this overestimation occurs because these folks who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: ">I suggest that this overestimation occurs because these folks who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>1. Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions to questions they fail to even ask of themselves and thus make unfortunate choices, but</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>2. their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize they are making errors.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:cool:

Harsh but true.