Note to New Members ×

Critique my camera work

shawndoggy

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hOovDN6jzE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hOovDN6jzE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah, that was kinda a joke! I used the glue-on mount and glued it straight to the board. Didn't work so well. It went rolling past as I came out of a toeside.

They make a suction cup mount too, which the moto guys say stays on during 140mph hot laps. Might have to throw down for that.

Beautiful footage, nice watching the rag doll physics of your body while you wait for the empty piste ;) Awesome when you railed... really great footage, I want to try this!

So the only thing thus far that I've had to be able to see my own riding is my shadow. And whenever I see my shadow I've got what I would term "spaz arms." Seeing other people's vids, they've got very cool arm placement and mine are flailing all over the place. At least my tongue isn't out too. :D

Thought it captured your turns nicely -those set-ups look pretty fun. Gives you about an hour of running video-is that right?

Yeah something like 57 minutes on a 2gb card and supposedly a firmware upgrade is in the works for a 4gb card. I just need to get this mount rather than the stick on one, I think:

SUCTGoProSuctionCupMount--9fe87-M.jpg

They claim on the gopro webside that the suction cup mount will pull car dents and stay on an airplane going 200 mph.

How about a 1/2 or 1/3 speed version of just the carving part?

Very cool though, thanks for sharing!

You asked for it!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKa2LY0w4a0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKa2LY0w4a0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

On Mtn now making another one. This time the glue stuck. Will post up tonight.

So I got the glue sorted, but I'm not pleased with the camera angle because I keep cutting off my own head. This is also a marginally shorter board (173 vs 183 yesterday), so the camera is a little closer too.

Front facing... kinda weird.

<object width="576" height="432" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1106581657731" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1106581657731" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="576" height="432"></embed></object>

+1 on the angle where the cam faces the rider !

I see a good use to the front facing angleview, though: mount it on a pair of skis or short snowboard to follow a fellow carver.

You will have a better viewpoint on the subject than on a helmet mounted cam, plus if the cameraman gets to do a few turns or jumps it will add up some extra kink to the vid.

I hate to be a "me too" but these videos are great. I'd like to get one of these cameras and post some vids here and have people tell me what I'm doing right and wrong. Thanks for posting these!

We've sure come a long way since 2000 or so when all we had here were a few still images and text articles.

I hate to be a "me too" but these videos are great. I'd like to get one of these cameras and post some vids here and have people tell me what I'm doing right and wrong. Thanks for posting these!

We've sure come a long way since 2000 or so when all we had here were a few still images and text articles.

Hey Steve, I'm only posting these for the "me toos" so thanks!

And btw a smarter person than me suggested tethering the camera. Like duh! Camera leash in my future.

And btw a smarter person than me suggested tethering the camera. Like duh! Camera leash in my future.

Maybe... maybe not. If the camera comes off and it's tethered, you might run over it instead of having it just roll clear.

These are pretty awesome as-is, but have you tried image stabilization post-processing? There's a free video processing program called VirtualDub and a free VirtualDub filter plugin called Deshaker that produces pretty good results. Instead of the board being fixed and the background having shakes, it will stabilize the background and let the board look like it's shaking. It has lots of control over motion analysis and smoothing -- pretty cool for a free filter. I was using a tool called SteadyHand, but that costs money and I couldn't get it to handle 720p HD video from a TZ5, so I tried Deshaker and am really impressed.

These are pretty awesome as-is, but have you tried image stabilization post-processing? There's a free video processing program called VirtualDub and a free VirtualDub filter plugin called Deshaker that produces pretty good results. Instead of the board being fixed and the background having shakes, it will stabilize the background and let the board look like it's shaking. It has lots of control over motion analysis and smoothing -- pretty cool for a free filter. I was using a tool called SteadyHand, but that costs money and I couldn't get it to handle 720p HD video from a TZ5, so I tried Deshaker and am really impressed.

Thanks John, I'll take a look at that. These are just quick and dirty with windows movie maker. I'm a total newb at video editing.