Note to New Members ×

Knock the fawk out

Mat Laf

Hi guys,

I had a bad luck yesterday, I knock myself out... dont really know what happened, I wasn't riding so fast, It was my 2-3 ride of the day, I was warming up...

Any advise for the next ride, I will probably ride tomorow if I feel good of course.

If you want to share your experience and how you get over it, I would really appreciate.

2 Tylenol every 4 hours...

By the way, always wear your helmets... I'm glad I always do :smashfrea

Wow, Mat, glad you're OK (except for a headache). Maybe you should get checked out.

I was riding at Mt. Rose along a cat track once on some pretty hard stuff and turned around to look behind me. I caught my heelside edge, the back of my head hit the snow and there I was, laying on my back, unable to move my arms or legs. One or two guys rode up to me asking me if I was OK. For some reason I was trying to tell them I was, but I couldn't talk or move anything. This lasted for about ten seconds, and then I recovered all of my movement and speech over the next five or ten seconds, and everything seemed back to normal. It was the weirdest thing. I always wonder what I would be like today if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. Maybe pretty much the same :rolleyes:

I whacked my head around Christmas time. There is a thread about it with some good advice here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23415

I had some short term memory loss but felt okay the rest of the day it happened, but the next day I had a very bad headache and vomiting, so I had a CT scan done. If you are feeling okay the couple of days after then you are probably okay, but be careful because the symptoms can be delayed. Also, if you have any brain swelling then another whack to the head can be pretty dangerous.

I knock myself out...

Any advise for the next ride, I will probably ride tomorow if I feel good of course.

:smashfrea

Advice:

1. You probably have a concussion (maybe mild but I'm no doctor), which just means you whacked you head so hard its swelling up and that's what is giving you the headaches. You can get a mild concussion from a non-black out crash, so a black out crash is pretty bad.

2. Did you crash and black out or blackout and then crash? if its the later there is something else wrong with your head or blood flow. So #3 is...

3. The doctor visit would be the smart move for tomorrow.

4. If you decide to skip the doctor visit, sleep in the same apartment/house as someone else and have them wake you up every 2-4 hours. If for some reason they can't wake you up, its likely there is enough time for a doctor to drill a couple holes in your head and save you.

5. Don't ride tomorrow, take the day off. if you whack your head again you will probably end up in the hospital, and that's way more expensive than taking the day off.

6. Wax your board and sharpen the edges and do some deep knee bends with lots of weight on your shoulders. and play some video games.

I don't think that I black out, I was feeling like seasick, very dizzy and so freaking tired. I feel like a little drunk since then and when I woke up this morning I feel like a truck run over me by night. My left shoulder hurts and I have a lot of pain in the neck.

No big headach but I feel like a little lag.

I will not ride tomorow, I'm gonna Xbox and take it easy...

By the way, for the edge tuning, what do you guys use, I want something to refresh the edges in between the sharpening. I know that my board is 88 degres...

Thank you for sharing and ride one for me tomorow :)

I would recommend a trip to physician. Had similar experience, drove head into snow off a kicker, dented helmet, blacked out, friend said I was out about 1-2 mins, felt punch-drunk, uncoordinated, was skiing at the time, crossing tips to get back to the condo, fuzzy vision, a little slow putting conversation together..alot of what you're describing. Don't screw around. I didn't go back out for 2 weeks and it killed me not to but I think it was for the best. Seriously.

No X Box either. The latest concussion reasearch studies have shown study groups who play video games take longer to reach their normal baseline after a head injury, than those who "rest their brain".

Goggle second impact syndrome and you will find a ton of stuff on how serious head injuries are.

A hit like that can also misalign your atlas axis C1 and/or C2 putting pressure on your brain stem and leading to the symptoms you describe. I recomend a visit to the Chiropractor while you are getting things checked out.:biggthump

A hit like that can also misalign your atlas axis C1 and/or C2 putting pressure on your brain stem and leading to the symptoms you describe. I recomend a visit to the Chiropractor while you are getting things checked out.:biggthump

Never mind the Chiro, you need an actual MD (to whom a Chiro will direct you to if you show up there, unless he wishes to lose his license.)

Good Chiros have a place, this isn't one of them, maybe later though (there's a good one in Repentigny? he works with a lot of MTL cops.)

just go to your family doc...you know, the real ones. Stay away from the Chiro...:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

You are flaming a whole profession here dude.WTF??

I couldn't even move at Christmas time and one visit to the chiropracter was able to get me functioning.

A few more treatments and I was out and carving hard again.

Annnnnnddddd....in case you reading understanding is impaired:

D suggested a visit while getting checked out. Which I thought was an excellent idea. If you don't that's fine, but you really don't know what is going to help our KO'ed friend out.

So unless you have something positive to contribute why don't you keep it to yourself.

D suggested a visit while getting checked out. Which I thought was an excellent idea. If you don't that's fine, but you really don't know what is going to help our KO'ed friend out.

So unless you have something positive to contribute why don't you keep it to yourself.

This is excellent advice. See the Doctor for your concussion (from your symptoms you have a concussion), and then see a Chrio for your neck and shoulder.

And ignore what "CIV" says. He's just FOX news here. Entertainment, not factual information.

This is excellent advice. See the Doctor for your concussion (from your symptoms you have a concussion), and then see a Chrio for your neck and shoulder.

And ignore what "CIV" says. He's just FOX news here. Entertainment, not factual information.

I hate Fox news. But that's pretty funny.

I got knocked out Monday by a skier collision, and the skier and his son say I was probably out for 7 to 8 minutes. An eternity for such things... I was bummed to hear that. My memory loss covers about 5 hours, including the trip to the ER and CT scan. I feel pretty good now, and it's killing me not to ride; I think tomorrow will be a powder day here... grr... but all the info I've read says don't bump your head again too soon. A concussion is a bruised brain, not unlike a bruised wrist or knee, only it's your brain, and it's more sensitive to further bruising while still healing from the previous injury. Certainly don't risk going out while you're still having headaches from the first hit. Then be really careful to avoid another hit for several weeks or months. E.g. Lay off the park and pipe if you do that kind of thing. I'm going to lay off the carving and just soft boot for a while to reduce the risk of getting hit again.

Seeing a doctor is good advice, but unless you're having any ongoing symptoms like bad headaches, nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, and so on, they are probably not going to order a CT and just send you home with advice to come back if any of those symptoms appear, and to not risk bumping your head for a "while". Also, aspirin is not advised as the risk here is bleeding and it prevents clotting. My instructions were Ibuprofen or Tylenol, not aspirin.

Somebody piss in your cheerios this morning?

:boxing_sm:smashfrea:AR15firin

Not at all, in fact today has been glorious. Basically finished another degree today.

I just dont believe in back crackers, I think that I should reserve the right to state that.

Also, I dont remember making any statements of fact, just opinion.

Keep the flame up though, I need some reading before I go riding tomorrow.

I just dont believe in back crackers, I think that I should reserve the right to state that.

Some of us reserve the right to swear by them. I do. Mine fixes my snowboarding and weightlifting owies on a regular basis. If there's ongoing pain in your shoulder and neck, a visit to a good chiro won't kill you and might actually help.

Heal fast ... concussions bite.