Note to New Members ×

Question? Snowboard Exterior Outline

Steve

pipe boards are designed differently than freecarve boards. And you should be landing fairly flat when riding the pipe then edging through the tranny.

Plus with the size of boards the pipe guys run in combination with their stance width there is little pressure in the middle of the board so it doesn't quite turn like an alpine board.

What are you suggesting no sidecut? Reverse side cut? Something new that hasn't been put into production yet?

And Please it's half pipe, not half pike. You are going to flamed pretty hard for that one.

I love all you carvers and snowboard racers out there. This is way beyond my wildest dreams.!!

We are in the Olympics....can you believe it?

Hey guys..... don't be like the skiers when snowboarding first started......

(close minded)

Hey don't take me wrong, I was referring to a real board, this one:

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp154/bvarsava/2641.jpg

It has no sidecut at all, that's the all point.

I guess a genuine answer to your question is, yes the sidecut is here for turns, but halp-pipe riders turn in the air mostly and will use the edge of the board either to initiate a rotation or land a jump, they won't carve the pipe, so for them the shape of the board and its edge hold matters less than its flex, its weight and other parameters.

On the other side, since carving means turning on the edge, the sidecut becomes a crucial parameter to determine the radius of the turns you will make without having to pressure the board like a barbarian to decamber it.

I think the pic above explains all. :cool:

I really don't get what you are saying???

I watch quite a bit of pipe riding and see how side cut works and why you need it.

You are saying that a carving board and a pipe board should be designed differently. I said that they already are.

I asked you how you think a snowboard should be changed design-wise to suit pipe riding better.

Then I made the comment that you had the wrong wording on one of the most basic snowboarding terms. If you want people to take anything you say seriously you should get the wording somewhat correct.

Then you come back to me with....don't be closed minded.......wtf

Hey don't take me wrong, I was referring to a real board, this one:

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp154/bvarsava/2641.jpg

When I saw that picture I just assumed it was a joke - bindings bolted to piece of siding torn off in an upgrade to someones house or something. Are you sure it's not just supposed to be funny?

Anyway, does anyone know what the average sidecut radius is for a half pipe board?

As I've said before, I tend to think that plenty of freestylers would really like big sidecuts if they knew what they were missing. Have the pipe guys tried it yet?

FWIW, I ride half-pipe on boards with 13m and 10m radius and IMO 13 is better. Especially in bigger pipes where the speed across the flatbottom is higher.

I am neither a shaper nor a park-rider, but found the question interesting somehow, even though, like Phil pointed out, it is not very clear to start with..

This is why I came up with the no-sidecut board picture of Bruce Varsava from Coiler, to stir up discussion. If it turns up in an argument, I'll just look somewhere else.

Now my 2 cents:

As far as shape for park boards is concerned, I would say, from my experience in the park in both skateboard and rollerskates, that the sidecut length must act a little bit like the flex in the trucks (either by tightening/loosening thm or by varying the flex of the silentblocks). So, from there, I would say that the longer the sidecut the less forgiving the board would be, but mith more performance.

Having said that, it seems to me that most of the shape evolution for freestyle boards has not been on this parameter and rather on rocker (like the skate-banana) or flex of boards. There must be a reason.

One option could be to have a board with no sidecut or a very long one and a slightly concave base, which would cover reception/turn initiation needs. But I guess it would be detrimental to speed, hence to overall performance.

Just spekalatin' here, as I don't ride pipe but - my impression is that the better riders carry a lot of speed from one wall to the other, achieved not through skidding I'm sure. They also don't want to travel too far down the pipe as that limits the number of tricks they can do in a run. So a sidecut radius tuned to the typical turn required would be ideal, which implies that a larger radius would be better in the super-pipe compared to smaller ones.

DjulesD, don't get park boards and pipe boards confussed. They are very different. The trend in Park boards has been going to rockered boards, but pipe boards have not going in this direction because of tracking issues and the boards tend to squirt out while going through the tranny.

I still don't know what the original question is supposed to be. When it comes to a snowboard you have sidecut. Or you can reverse it, or you can just make it with no side cut. I don't see how reverse or no sidecut can be logically promoted as being viable.

Am I missing something. Other than we are supposed to stir up the industry and revolutionize "pike" board design on our carving site?

If the reason for the curve in the snowboard outline is related to carving semi-circles in the snow, then why do the snowboards designed for the Half-Pike competetions have that same design??

Probably because the competitors don't want to be at the mercy of the pipe's shape and size determining what turns they can make and what direction they can make them in.