Note to New Members ×

Warren Miller episode

CarvCanada

I just saw an episode of Warren Miller TV from around 1996 I'd guess that had a huge amount of very good carver content! A group of 4 skiers who had recently switched to radial skis followed 2 really good carvers, one on a completely blank white 200cm, about 18cm wide alpine board (he got almost all the camera time, he was really good, fast and had nice smooth quiet but aggressive style) This group of 6 did two pieces, one on Killington, the other on Heavenly.

It was really awesome to see! Anyone else see it?

If the winter sports media consistently presented alpine snowboarding like WM does in SR2, Bomber, Catek, Donek, Coiler, and others would be trying to keep up with orders and looking to expand production.

When I first saw Will Garrow in SR2 riding at K-ton on a Rossi board with a Rossi tattoo, I thought, "I know what I'm doing this winter."

BTW, WM has some of, if not the best, footy of Craig Kelly in "Tweaked and Twisted".

I saw some of this footy in a Burton video years ago. Kelly was filmed in Russia and all around the world. The soundtrack was the guitar work of Joe Satriani. Anyone got a copy of this unnamed video?

Mark

Originally posted by utahcarver

I saw some of this footy in a Burton video years ago. Kelly was filmed in Russia and all around the world. The soundtrack was the guitar work of Joe Satriani. Anyone got a copy of this unnamed video?

Mark

The video was called "Board With the World" and it also included a bonus video called "Pachemama" by none other than Peter Bauer and Jean Nerva. Both are benchmark works. My friend use to have it, I'll see if he still does.

Weren't the sequences of PB and JN filmed in Chile (for Pachemama; complete with simulated access to the snow via llama)? it seems to me, that later, there was another video that was filmed in NZ. That's the one where PB is wearing some pink and blue granny quilt parka and white pants slashing a windlip that later became a covershot for International Snowboarder or TransWorld Snowboarding? Geez, I'm dating myself here.

Mark

PeeEss: In the past year I contacted Burton Rider Services and asked about the old videos like "One Track Mind" and "Chill". The very nice response I got was that the videos are in a vault deep in the Burton Factory and that there is no talk of bringing them to DVD. I'm guessing when a large group of old schoolers (and one pre-schooler) are all willing to pay $39.95 plus shipping for each DVD will Burton release them. Until then, buy the SES and ECES vids.

Weren't the sequences of PB and JN filmed in Chile

yes

it seems to me, that later, there was another video that was filmed in NZ. That's the one where PB is wearing some pink and blue granny quilt parka and white pants slashing a windlip that later became a covershot for International Snowboarder or TransWorld Snowboarding?

That was Chill (excuse me, Ch!ll) which was released in 90, filmed in 89/90. Great vid, despite the homebrew amateur techno music. Bauer was riding a Safari on that slash that became a cover-shot. I believe Board With the World/Pachemama was a 1991 release.

PeeEss: In the past year I contacted Burton Rider Services and asked about the old videos like "One Track Mind" and "Chill".

I have Chill at home, but no way to copy it. There's some great riding in Chill, it makes me jones for powder, and the carving by P&J was inspirational. Bauer's style will never be duplicated. That movie introduced us to the PJ asym and the "Eurocarve". It also lifted the veil on the Craig Kelly Mystery Air and it was his debut as an out-of-the-closet Burton team rider.

One Track Mind is really only good for historical purposes. The riding is on old old tech stuff - swallow-tails and fastex buckles, etc. I don't have that one. Scream of Consciousness (c. 1992) is a good vid too.

Anyone got a copy of this unnamed video?

Mark

Hey Mark,

I've got a copy of board with the world, along with a bunch of other "Pre-school" vids.

Unfortunately, I lost my copy of "Ch!ll" via a bad relationship, but the others are still intact.

The quality isn't great, but I'm sure we could figure out how to get you a copy.....

When I first saw Will Garrow in SR2 riding at K-ton on a Rossi board with a Rossi tattoo, I thought, "I know what I'm doing this winter."

the first time i saw thoes clips, i knew i had to start looking for an alpine board

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

Which video was it that had Kelly screaming through the trees at some resort in Japan? That was some of the most sick tree riding I've ever seen.

Scream of Consciousness. The cool part was that during that sequence, Shannon Melhuse was following him in hardboots.

Board With the World has some equally sick powder scenes at Red Mtn. in Canadia.

I have Chill at home, but no way to copy it. There's some great riding in Chill, it makes me jones for powder, and the carving by P&J was inspirational. Bauer's style will never be duplicated. That movie introduced us to the PJ asym and the "Eurocarve". It also lifted the veil on the Craig Kelly Mystery Air and it was his debut as an out-of-the-closet Burton team rider.

Jack I was in Austria in Vienna back in 89 when Peter and Jean toured Europe to show the Chill video, I actually spoke briefly to Mr. Bauer, after that show I picked up a PJ6. I'd love to get a copy of that video.

Jon,

That has got to be one of the best ideas I've ever read on BOL! It eclipses anything CF ever suggested, and he had some good ideas. I see Gary Nate every November at our local Warren Miller movie night. But, suggesting your idea would have to be more formal than that, I would think.

Skully, please contact me via email, I'm in SLC enough that I could get a copy of Ch!ll from you without having to ship it.

Mark

Guest Ghostrider

Yea..thats an awesome idea...if anybody needs help submitting the idea to wm entertainment...LOOK ME UP!

And if there is any word of a crew showing up at a session, keep me informed cuz i'll be there.

Guest Ghostrider

Main Office:

Warren Miller Entertainment

2540 Frontier Avenue

Suite 104

Boulder, CO. 80301

T. 303.442.3430

F. 303.442.3402

feedback@warrenmiller.com

Public Relations Contacts:

National:

Sara Delekta / Time4 Media

(212) 779-5527 / Fax: (212) 779-5599

Arizona, Northern California, Oregon:

Barbara Zamost / Zamost Public Relations

(415) 346-2810 / Fax: (415) 775-7076

Southern California

Lysa Barry / Barry & Associates

(818) 716-7111 / Fax: (818) 887-5465

Colorado

Tricia Bennett / Ogilvy Public Relations

(303) 634-2603

Alaska, Idaho, New England, Illinois, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin

Nancy Richter / Entertainment Media

(206) 937-1842 / Fax: (206) 938-0579

I figured since it was brought up I'd throw in my 2 cents. I contacted Warren Miller entertainment about a month and a half ago. Told them that they need to start including more alpine footage since we a growing community, not just in the states but internationally. Gave them the link to BOL, and also informed them about SES '05. I got a response back, which was a little generic, but it was a response basically saying "glad to hear you love the videos", "we'll look into the information you provided", "keep rockin on your alpine board".

Like I said, generic, but they acknowledged my email. I think that would be unreal to have Warren Miller camera crew at SES to film. BIG DREAMS!

Guest Ghostrider

I just heard back from Tricia.

She bumped me up a level in the corporate connections and put me in contact with Chuck Olney. Chuck is head of global distribution for Warren Miller entertainment. It seems to be a step in the right direction. I'll keep you posted to what he has to say or where he directs me.

Guest Ghostrider

I just heard back from Chuck also. Yet another step forward.

He put me in contact with Max Bervy (Producer/Director of Endless Winter, Vertical Reality, True Colors, Freeriders, Fifty, Ride, Cold Fusion..etc..) and Josh Haskins (Producer of Storm, Ride, Fifty, Journey...). They are THE guys in charge of all film inclusion decisions.

However, they are working to wrap up this years movie (IMPACT) right now, so he said to give them till the end of the month to get that locked and loaded. So, that gives some time to get an idea ready for them and then I'll get in contact with those guys then.

Dream Big! ;)

hehe, just ordered SnowRiders2 and ECES/SES 2003, 2002, and 2001... that should hold off my demons until december??

if not, I'll have to start looking for a way to ship over Japanese videos from carvingmachine.com

PS: Anyone seen their videos? Carve&Curve2003 is really good! Especially the section on E_10 (Edge 10)

BOL members. Great to see all the comments on the old school videos!! One of the features I would like to have on my site is an archive of snowboard videos. Particularly focused on early videos and carving videos. Those are what I am partial to. It occurred to me many of the BOL members might be willing to contribute "Write-ups" above the movies? With the write ups and photos I have in the archives of all these great movies , we could put together a pretty cool listing of all these old flicks? Just a thought.

Format something like a "Highlights" write up , list of riders, play time, date filmed, significant carving scenes and historically significant moments. Thanks again. Bryan