Note to New Members ×

boots

willywhit

these were on tramdock.com this am. I wonder if they'd be decent for entry level carving.

GARMONT XENA G-FIT ALPINE TOURING BOOT

The Garmont Xena G-fit Alpine Touring Boot charges like a warrior princess.

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/GAR0093/Garmont-Xena-G-fit-Alpine-Touring-Boot.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO002&CMP_SKU=GAR0093&mv_pc=r126

post-123-14184226918_thumb.jpg

they are ladies boots. I'm curious if I could get a boot like this for wifey to ski in and eventually get her on a Sims Carve2 or similiar board once she's confident. They remind me of my Nordica SBHs, vibram sole etc. I've actually skied in my SBH's, just as a goof while snowkiting but it worked. not really super safe but I threw a spread eagle and landed it without coming out of the binders.

I'll ask Sinecure.

Err..I would point out where a great deal on new hardboots is fairly consistently, but it would be a complete undercut of bomber.

Hardboots are such a superior tool, it's not worth the money saved by going the ski boots route..that's a given, but I think looking for a ski boot that works for carving reinforces the notion that ski boots can work, when they really just kick you around.

ski boots can work. They're not ideal, but for someone who primarily skis it makes perfect sense to use ski boots. My wife does this. Being able to easily switch between the two is ideal. Even just the mental factor of knowing you can bail out back to skis at any point in the day is a good thing for the attitude.

I've taught several skiers how to snowboard in skiboots, and they actually had an easier time than the poor folks struggling with crappy rental softboots.

Err..I would point out where a great deal on new hardboots is fairly consistently, but it would be a complete undercut of bomber.

If they're DeeLuxe boots, the fact that a dealer is not adhering to the MSRP set by the distributor is already uncutting Bomber.

Hardboots are such a superior tool, it's not worth the money saved by going the ski boots route..that's a given, but I think looking for a ski boot that works for carving reinforces the notion that ski boots can work, when they really just kick you around.

Some ski boots can and do work for some riders... it's not just a notion.

Who is Steve Carol?

If you read some of YYZ's recent posts most racers are moving to stiffer boots - alot of them are now in Dalbello Kryptons, which are basically a stiffer modern version of the boots we were racing in back in the late 80's/early 90's (Raichle Flexon)

If you want precise control at high speeds, ski boots (properly adjusted) work very well. If yu want all day comfort for freeriding, Snowboard HBs are the way to go. The boot willy started with is an AT boot - which would probably work very well and allow you to switch from snowboard to skis during the day. This particular model is probably way too soft for most guys, But I know a few riders using Adrenalines with some success.

sorry, I must have misinterpreted that comment about Alexa's boots being a stiffer than normal plastic from the deeluxe factory and applied it all around. I have seen alot of younger racers on Krypton Pros though...

That could be a modified stiffer Track 700 = also called by Deeluxe Track 1000

these were on tramdock.com this am. I wonder if they'd be decent for entry level carving.

Probably.

I'm riding / wearing Garmont Adrenalines at work, which is basically the "bloke" version - they are orange. Relatively stiff for an AT boot (although not as stiff as the Endorphins). A reasonable fit out of the box, vastly improved by binning the footbeds and putting something better in their place. You may find that the instep rivet on the foot strap closest to the ankle causes rubbing and blisters when combined with the original footbed (I did).

You'll be looking at steeper angles than with a snowboard oriented boot (as per usual, the sole is quite a lot longer) and slightly less adjustability (you have "ski" and "walk" mode, with no variations inbetween, no differing positions I've found, and you'll not be able to add a BTS without some shell surgery.

Simon