Note to New Members ×

Ouch

eajracing

Just got back from three days of riding, but unfortunately, only two on my hard boots. I picked up a new-to-me prior 175 WCR over the summer and had a blast tearing around on it. As the second day progressed, my calves started to hurt. By the end of the day, I took my boots off to find massive bruises across both of them that traced out my boot cuff. I couldn't even put the boots on this morning. I ride deeluxe suzukas.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? I've had the suzukas for about three years now and didnt have the problem before, although I can't think of any time i spent more than a full day in them.

Is it time to get a new set of liners or a bts system?

are my novelty-sized cycling calves no good in these boots?

binding angle adjustment? (currently running 60/55)

suck it up and treat bruised calves with heavy doses of labatt 50?

any help would be appreciated.

E.

Do you launch yourself forward aggresively at the beginning of a turn?

You could try Booster Straps. Fin sells them here. They may take up some slack at the top of the boot. Sounds like the BTS would be a good idea as well. This sounds a lot like skier's shin bang from boots being too loose at the top of the cuff.

thanks.

definitely not the shins - right across the back of my calves, and it traces out the top of the boot liner's cuff. Will try and post pics tomorrow when i get back to the big city and reasonable internet speeds.

no chatter. no big heelside spill.

cant figure it out.

my soft boots (burton driver-x) come higher up my leg than the suzuka's do and i was able to ride in them all day today without any noticeable pain. That said, it still hurts like a _____ when i accidentally touch them against something (i.e. car seat, dog's tail etc).

Had a lower cut pair of Raichle boots that cut my calf at exactly the wrong height, and were painful. Got rid of them and got rid of that problem. Had some problems with my other Raichle that ended up being the liners. The liners were a bit too short and didn't disperse the pressure from the shells. Cured when I remolded the Thermoflex liners, and pulled them 2" higher than the shells.

Now when I mold the Thermo's I gently pull the liners higher than the shell before I step into the shell.

Good Luck.

I know I have to be careful to not go too tight or too hard of riding for the first run or two if my legs aren't warm from hiking or something.

After my legs get up to temp and blood flowing then I can tighten down and go really hard.

Sucks when you get that bruising. Has only happened once or twice to me over the years but fairly memorable when it does.

good luck.

If you are new to hardboots it could just be your body adjusting to the new pressures that are being exerted on it. Not sure how good of shape you are in, nor am I a medical professional by any means.

I went out west once with a friend who really hadn't been doing much physical activity for a while. He had once been an avid hardbooter/turned accountant. Once he started riding with me, pushing him harder than I should have, he developed some bad bruising as well. He ended up taking a long afternoon off, sleeping at the lodge.

It is not uncommon for hardbooters to experience shin-bang, but I've never heard of calf-bang before - I wonder if you are not leaning forward enough.

Being new to hardboots, I wonder if there is any chance that you are riding in the back seat? It seems to me that in order to bruise your calves your boots would have to be either excessively tight, or you would have to be leaning way back.

Do you have narrow ankles and thick burly calves? That seems like it could also cause problems with uneven pressure distribution (do your calves get all the pressure while your ankle/achilles area is floating around in the boot?).

I have the forward lean set at 3 (haven't played with it much), but will try a 5 for a run or two and see how that goes.

I've been on hardboots since the early 90's (pink koflachs and elfgen bindings) and this is the first i've experienced this kind of bruising.

i have not tried removing the plastic spoiler either. I will take a closer look at that next weekend too.

Thanks for the help.