Note to New Members ×

nose folding breakages

xy9ine

Hey, Jon. Yes, we rode a few years ago. I remember riding down one of the runs on the east side of Highlands and I thought the snow was bumpy, and in between the bumps the snow was too hard, and it was too steep anyways, and then you went down and just killed it, without even really looking like you were using any effort.

I think the turn you are describing is the turn I have been trying to progress to over the last few years. I know the feeling you are talking about - you let the board go further out in the middle of the carve, and towards the end it naturally and effortlessly carves a really smooth, fast track and ends up under you with very flexed knees (and then you can fall over the board in one movement to start the next turn). Instead of feeling like 10 Gs of force and tons of power sometimes it feels like the board is on smooth rollers.

The whole thing has a much more relaxed, effortless feeling to it,and you can ride with your arms down by your sides instead of albatrossing all the time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the turn you are describing is the turn I have been trying to progress to over the last few years. I know the feeling you are talking about - you let the board go further out in the middle of the carve, and towards the end it naturally and effortlessly carves a really smooth, fast track and ends up under you with very flexed knees (and then you can fall over the board in one movement to start the next turn). Instead of feeling like 10 Gs of force and tons of power sometimes it feels like the board is on smooth rollers.

The whole thing has a much more relaxed, effortless feeling to it,and you can ride with your arms down by your sides instead of albatrossing all the time.

Yeah, it looks like this:

toe-heel.jpg

You can see how far the board is in front of the stance at the end of the turn.That is what helps to make the transition effortless. You just have to be ready for the pop and then roll over, landing in the perfect position for the next turn.

Yeah, it looks like this:

toe-heel.jpg

You can see how far the board is in front of the stance at the end of the turn.That is what helps to make the transition effortless. You just have to be ready for the pop and then roll over, landing in the perfect position for the next turn.

Hmmm.. sounds a lot like an exaggerated " feeding the dollar" analogy , ever have a problem being too far over your tail come rollover time?

*Disclaimer* This is my second season on hardboots and am accused of overthinking nearly everything:

I believe I can relate to both the "stretching out" effect while in the apex of a carve and the other technique ya'll are relating to.

When I feel "laid out" in the carve (or stretched out) it's much like when I used to salolom water ski and carve around the bouys. I'm more laid out and keeping upper body somewhat rigid and feeding the board out and around the apex with total commitment to edge hold. Blow an edge and the system fails due to sudden exit of resistive force from the edge holding my body up. Maybe like a pendulum? but with feeding the board through?

The second technique is more of sitting over the back of the board, knee's flexed until your butt feels about 2 feet off the back of the board and "rolling" the board edge to edge. This has allowed me some very fast edge transitions with relative constant edge pressure throughout. It's a very cool feeling rolling edge-to-edge and being somewhat in the back seat just picking whatever line or arc feels good. I use this most often when navigating people-pylons.

I'm beginning to think that I'm working on at *least* 4 different techniques, depending on what I'm trying to get out of it. A couple are now starting to blend together at times.

I'm beginning to think that I'm working on at *least* 4 different techniques, depending on what I'm trying to get out of it. A couple are now starting to blend together at times.

Cool. It never hurts to have too many tricks up your sleeve.