Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Racer H here.  I was there with Everette today doing some pow laps over on 3. Unfortunately Twist wasn't open as they were unrolling bnet. Just an fyi, get there early to anyone going this week because they were parking people down at lift 3 after about 4 runs! I guess the holiday has begun. 

• Like 1

1. stupid busy early

2. variable,1- 3 mes scale,  with pockets of blown in and fast

3. reasonable til 10, kookfest after

4.colder than advertised, with delightful little zephyrs spinning the anemometer

5. left early 'cause of itband issues and a previous engagement. pockets of heavy due to overhead singnage, and general stupidity

56 minutes ago, John E said:

Mario - thanks for the report. My boarding days are falling behind even recent years so I am vicariously carving through others. 

I'll try and pick up the slack since ive been a slacker lately

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John E said:

I can dress for the cold. I can't dress for the crowds. 

One of the methods we use to avoid crowds, though counter intuitive, is to hop on the shortbus and head over to 3 a little after 10. We can usually find nice wide open gaps over there, and the ensuing carnage of newbs riding over their heads and falling into my excavation's provides lots of entertainment and hilarity. For some of us more "mature" riders, hitting the throttles hard early on and pushing it does wonders for smoking our legs, leaving us both exhausted and totally satisfied by 11.  Unless you are the Odd one, whom seems to live in the "No Brain/No Pain zone and is still on the hill hours after we have thrown in the towel. There are some weekends that crowd avoidance is unavoidable, though we try.  The sad thing is it is only going to get worse, though lovey can only provide so much parking, and our fixed grip lifts auto regulates how many people can be on the hill at one time

mario

• Like 1

sometimes it just all comes together.

The sun was out, it was sort of warmish for the divide, and of course, the wind was howling up on high, so much so that Angie and I couldn't carry on a conversation on 4 as we passed over the widely groomed 4. Yes, Scrub was groomed, but it was to soft for anyone but the meekest carver to set an edge and hold it. First actual toe side I attempted left me doing a lame attempt at a euro carve to stop, same with the third heelside.  From there we bombed down to the short bus, and over to switchback. Firm but lumpy. Back over to the basin for camera shenanigans, and eventually more riding. I unsheathed the board that wants to kill me for the first time this year, dropped spillway, and for once this season, slayed it, putting down 5-6 turns, and not hitting terminal velocity before shutting it down. The next 4 runs where pure magic, and left me wondering why I waited so long to take that stick out.

The real story of yesterday was not about the exceptional turns I was making ( though they were impressive if I say so myself!:biggthump)  the spotty grooming, or the post 10 am kookfest. It was about the crew that came together to form an impromptu mini session, and the pure joy of riding with and watching other like minded freaks lay it down, and telling each other how awesome we are.  For me, yesterday was a pure stoke fest, and I thank all of you in attendance.

Speaking of which:

Aarron, You are a goof ball, and a sick rider, you fit right in, Inky and Kai, great riding by both of you and nice to see more of you this season, we've missed having you two around, Mr and Mrs Bomber, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule joining us for our sunday silliness. Now on to the the regulars Erazz, stop ditching us, personally, you are giving me a complex, James, congrats on that news there grandpappy, Dude, the Odd one, and Mr. Positively Awesome, great turns as always.

Best day of the season,

see you in a few weeks after the session

mario

Edited by big mario
extra info from the department of redundancy department need to be excised
  • Like 4

Dude, I didn't ditch you.  My boots came apart while walking to get my board.  When I finally got to the lift you guys were long gone.   I do think I have the solution to my hardboot issues though (kindly provided by James).  Might be able to keep up with you next time.

• Like 1

We had so a good day, We carve we carve we carve.

Most excellent day with the exception of the idiot lady skier who hit KarverKai and denied any bit of it. Legs were tired and then came the skate session on the way home. Much fun was had with my awesome friends and kiddo.

Ink

DD278B22-1F0D-42DA-9E0C-65F02C0D4C68.jpg

Edited by inkaholic
Added AM/PM pic
  • Like 5

At Loveland yesterday to do some carving. I've never taken a mid-week day to go carving before. Powder - yes. Carving - no. 

What a great experience! Drive up was very easy. No lift lines. Nobody on the slopes. Carving was quite good. Never had to worry about others on the slope. It was sunny but breezy (windy?).  

The demographics seemed quite different than I am used to: Mostly skiers, mostly older, mostly beginner-intermediate. We ran constant loops on Ptarmigan and #6. We were doing about 12 minute laps (about 5 runs/hour). We rode from 9AM to about 12:30 or so and got in about 17 - 18 runs. Left around 1:45. Drive home was a breeze.

I'm fortunate to be able to get away during the week. Now I'm spoiled and it will be hard to get up the motivation to go on the weekends any more.  

• Like 2

On January 30, 2017 at 5:02 PM, inkaholic said:

We had so a good day, We carve we carve we carve.

Most excellent day with the exception of the idiot lady skier who hit KarverKai and denied any bit of it. Legs were tired and then came the skate session on the way home. Much fun was had with my awesome friends and kiddo.

Ink

DD278B22-1F0D-42DA-9E0C-65F02C0D4C68.jpg

This is so Wonderful...Carver Kai is right !!,   Thank You :biggthump

Edited by softbootsurfer

john e --

i hear what you are saying about midweek, but i wouldn't give up weekends yet.

i was there on sunday, and when l looked down at the parking at lot from lift 1 at 9:30 -- yes, 9:30 -- it was full.

nevertheless, there was room for quality carving for at least 2 hours.  richard's for example, was empty.

so yeah, the numbers keep piling up at loveland, but there is still quality carving to be had.

The euphoria of Sunday, has at last subsided.  Weekend, Schmeekend!  Light approach traffic, blue skies, warmish temps and gentle zephyr breezes; conditions rarely replicated at Lovey.  Sparse lunacy and short lift lines, possibly due to the impending Super Bowl, allowed for a morning of non-stop, bodacious carving.  Snow conditions were firm and grippy, as I continued to reaffirm a long forgotten attraction with an albeit, older glass ride.  Fire Bowl, Turtle Creek and Drifter were widely groomed, but Fire Cut was bump city.  Lower Richards was almost abandoned and just kept calling me out.  The upper section of Roulette became sketchy early, but the lower area was as good as it gets.  Etow was groomed well into the trees.  Rarely does this rider get hoots from the lifts, but it felt good to entertain, while continuing to improve on my aggressiveness(Thanks, Ink!).  Between ATC and the attraction of alternative resorts, I was a solo act, although the Sheriff gave me a casual 1st chair nod and was later observed rippin' it on twin planks.  Legs screaming and lungs contently overworked, it was over entirely too soon.  I drove away with a huge grin.  Quite the day to remember.  Does aloe vera work on sunburned teeth?

later

James

Edited by Dusty Bottle
  • Like 3