Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

​Sunday 01/03/16

I think the 4 horseman of the apocalypse made an appearance at lovey today, in very clever disguises.

Their presence was manifested by the following: 

A complete lack of wind

Warm temperatures

Abundant sunshine

Light holiday Crowds ( no one on my lawn! )

The usual 4 knuckleheads of mediocrity  where joined by many guests today, drawn to our big little mountain by the promise of shiny new demos cascading from the cavernous confines of the Bomber Bus. Semi regulars  Inky, and Karver Kai made their return today, as well as  Arneburner on skis, whom is nursing a torn achillies and is on the carving  Ir for a bit. James was out as well with family in tow

Out of towners Skoony McGroomer, Scott, as well as "Kevin SmooveDougal" (all the way from Park city Utah!) joined us on the hill and helped us rutt up and lay waste to hundreds of acres of prime lovey carving real estate. No collateral damage was witnessed  or reported during the days festivities

I rode the board that wants to kill me for quite a while today, and I am happy to report that we have come to amicable terms; as long as I show it the respect it demands and needs, I will not be catapulted off of any runs and into any rocks or trees. Once again, an excruciatingly fun time was had by all

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 3

Yes, an odd day indeed... sunny, calm, warm, excellent grippy groom and acceptable I-70 return traffic... weird... TOTALLY AWESOME DAY!

In addition to Mario's picturesque verbiage, a huge "Thank You" is extended to Jim and Angie Callen for offering a "Bomber Demo Tent", featuring a plethora of boards, boots and bindings for any and all to experience for absolute gratis! Jim and Angie worked diligently to assure anyone who wished to try hardbooting was gratified, once again exemplifying their commitment to customer service and promotion of our sport of choice! Noted interest was sparked within a number of possible recruits and even some veterans were drooling on the goods! Here's hoping Jim and Angie are currently enjoying a well-deserved hot springs recovery!

weird... my face is warm... I think I got some sun...

later

James

Edited by Dusty Bottle
  • Like 4

A most excellent day of fun with friends. So good to see everyone out and meet those I had not met before. KarverKai was thoroughly exhausted after continuing to ride after I called it. Thanks all for ripping turns with my little buddy. Jim and Ang, was awesome as always to see the two of you.

Ink

• Like 3

Thank you all so much for coming!

And then sticking around, too.  I can imagine traffic wasn't awesome by the time you left, and it means so much to Angie and I that you all were in attendance.  

I think the 4 horseman of the apocalypse made an appearance at lovey today, in very clever disguises.

The Four Horsemen b-team was at The Basin on Sunday because the a-team exhausted themselves at The Valley on Saturday. Lines, Goobs, Scrape, No Open Tables were all in attendance. It was as if the ski school ran a "Take a Lesson, Get a Handgun" promotion. It begs the question, "why on Earth were you over at the Valley" for which there's no easy answer.

• Like 1

It begs the question, "why on Earth were you over at the Valley" for which there's no easy answer.

Chair 3 and switchback of course, and the incredible joy of getting yet another ride on the short bus....

• Like 2

I miss Switchback.  I considered it a challenge to fully carve the narrow top section without hitting a tree or flying off the side, then timing my turns to make the most of the two or three rolls on the way down then turning straight at whoever was working the unload to give them a laugh and finally straightlining the runout to attempt a 360 in the open area next to the lift.  That place is great.

• Like 3

I miss Switchback.  I considered it a challenge to fully carve the narrow top section without hitting a tree or flying off the side, then timing my turns to make the most of the two or three rolls on the way down then turning straight at whoever was working the unload to give them a laugh and finally straightlining the runout to attempt a 360 in the open area next to the lift.  That place is great.

Sounds like every run we do on it, as well as leaving nasty trenches that catch the zombie death wedge skiers. And some unsuspecting fellow riders.

Also nice to hear the hoots and hollers from the ski racers on the chair

You're right, it is great

• Like 2

Switchback (confusingly named since there is no switchback) definitely delivered the biggest smiles of the day. It should be renamed All Smiles, while All Smiles should be re-named The Killing Field. Zig-zag should also be re-named I-70 for the terrible driving, snags and pileups it delivers.

And my wife gets carsick on the small bus, so there's another reason for a day at The Valley.

The location of the Switch Back is inobvious:

attachicon.gifswitchback.jpg

Well, I'll be damned. And the funny thing is that I saw the road sign from the chairlift marking the curve and thought, "surely that can't be a road sign marking a curve." Every day brings new opportunities to expose my ignorance. Being in the 5th percentile makes for some long days.

• Like 2

​Sunday 1/10/16
​"All is right with the world"
Things where relatively back to normal on the divide yesterday, temps were hovering around or below zero at the base, slightly breezy and much colder up top. Sun dogs were out when the light cloud cover allowed it, and crowds where light and dispersed. Groom ran from softish off of reload, hero firm on roulette, spillway, and Richards, to superheroawesomefirm on switchback. After the rather brisk temps whittled the crew down to Odd Job and I, we hopped on the short bus for a foray to the valley, where it felt at least 15 degrees warmer. It was good. It was really good. It was so good that next time it is that chilly, we need to hit Mambo for a wamup lap or 2 and then haul ass over there. We did 8 high speed nonstop until my legs started to get a little pissy around 12:30, when I called it. That pitch is soooo fun, though I did almost carve off of the top of the funnel on one of my runs. We where in the orbit of a snowboard lesson, which we thouroughly enjoyed carving around, and showing them the possibilities of what they could do on a snow board.
On the hill today the usual suspects where joined by Terry, John E, James, Ink, Kai, and possibly 3 other hardbooters that are yet to be assimilated.
I 70 west bound was crowded early yesterday, I hit Morrison at 6:15 and it was a zoo, causing me to occasionally revert to some old habits. I need to get out a little sooner,I think people have finally realized that its winter. Eastbound was nice, I was back in town in 45 minutes yesterday, which is not too shabby for getting out at close to 1
mario
Ps. There was no one on my lawn yesterday
All is right with the world

Edited by big mario
  • Like 2

When most of the crew departed for #6, I stayed on Ptarmigan. It was pretty cold but I had most every layer on that I owned. Ran into a new oldguy (Greg). He said that he had been away from carving for some time. He was on an older Donek & some 1st gen Bombers. He didn't know anything about this forum. We rode for a bit & he went down to change gear. I then ran into Ink & Shelly. Ink left to find Kai so Shelly & I rode for a few runs. She disappeared & I rode until 1:10. On the highway by 1:30. Traffic not too bad.

I thought the snow was very good and remained so through most of the day.

Every time that I saw a liftie grooming the ramp with a rake I thought of Mario. Maybe we should get him a rake so he can shake it over his head & yell at the slackers "Get off of my lawn!".  

Good to ride with you all again. 

Edited by John E
  • Like 3

Since I just finished one job and am starting another on monday, the stars have aligned for me to take a much needed mental health day tomorrow. If we get some decent snow, I will be at the basin, if not I will probably just park at the race lot at the valley

3aught3885848aught

• Like 1

Bigs, Odd Job and me on a twin tip Donek mono, completely DESTROYED our favorite run @ the Valley. 11 runs there and the trenches were wicked and plentiful. While riding back up we took strange pleasure in watching the beginners literally crashing when encountering said trenches. Over and over....I kinda' felt sorry for those poor souls who encountered Mario's heelside carnage. The nightly grooming will need a few extra passes tonight to erase the mark of the LCI.

• Like 4