Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Ink, Congrats! Sorry we missed you. We did a family day on the big hill, powder day! It was surprisingly good. You guys ride Howie?

Thanks Dave, Kai had fun and can now reset his gymnastic goals and plan better for the season.

Sorry for not calling, the weekend was like herding cats. Not to mention the hot tubing and adult beverage consumption that ensued in the evening. We did ride Howelson yesterday. Had fun just sliding around in softies with friends. I did get to speak with Justin Reiter and Galen G.(ColoradoKing here on BOL) for a bit and introduce KK to them as well. He was pretty excited about that too.

Ink

Check out Fins video on the new website page, can you guess who the 2 featured riders are?:biggthump

mario

We saw it and chose not to post for fear your head may explode.

KarverKai had day 2 on HBs. No vid this time with snow coming down all day. He rode from 845 till 130 while working on hand and body positioning as well as angulation...the kid is getting it. He hit an ice patch, slipped a little with only a slight bobble, the edge re-engaged and he continued riding. That was when he learned what the right positioning can do for you. Till next time.

Ink

Wow! everyone coming out of the woodwork to see KK on HB's eh? JK but cool!

Looks like Concussed may have her HB's on tomorrow and maybe Sunday as well. It has been since the Monarch Invasion that she has ridden HB. Wish I could be there to help out.

KK has a gymnastics meet on Sat then a meeting with HBs on Sunday.

PLAN ON IT: Currently Jan 28 is the first Family Fun Race of the season. Hopefully this one won't get cancelled. If you show up to ride that day plan on racing as well. No excuses if you are on the hill.

Ink

My 1st day this season.

Saw D.T. in the lodge but he thought he might go home because of the wind. Looked for Ink & KK all day but no sighting. Rode #2 & #6 all day.

It was windy but not out of the ordinary for Loveland. Snow was good. About 8" overnight and 20+" the last several days.

Softboot carving off Lift 2 was pretty good mid-afternoon. Rode until about 2:30.

Hopefully the weather pattern has changed for the better for the rest of the season.

I know this is a ride board but what local shop would you guys recommend for a base / edge tune?

Bola uses the Christy Sports half a block north of his shop, on 30th. Tony just struck up a good relationship with with the Christy Sports at Flat Irons.

Both should be convenient for you.

I have not found anyone in the Denver area that I would bother going back to...

My 1st day this season.

Saw D.T. in the lodge but he thought he might go home because of the wind. Looked for Ink & KK all day but no sighting. Rode #2 & #6 all day.

I made two runs on #1 then called it quits. Ink and KK turned around at Silver Plume.

Tony just struck up a good relationship with with the Christy Sports at Flat Irons.

I've been to both. I drive by the one at Flatirons every day on my commute.

I've never requested a special grind. What angles would you recommend?

I did buy that Hot Blast listed on Bomber from the guy in Florida (about 13mm of camber).

I've been to both. I drive by the one at Flatirons every day on my commute.

I've never requested a special grind. What angles would you recommend?

I did buy that Hot Blast listed on Bomber from the guy in Florida (about 13mm of camber).

I'll ask Tony for the name of the guy he worked with.

My preference for angles is 0.5° to 0.7° base and 2° side. The shallow base angle is quick to engage and the 2° side gives a nice knife edge when encountering hardpack/ice.

I planned to ride Lovey yesterday and hang with the LCI, but my son and his co-pilot friend flew some folks in to Beaver Creek Friday and invited the wife and I over to ski/ride on Saturday. I thought we could swing back by Lovey on Sunday morning... little did I know...

The wife called it quits after lunch on SAT and retired to a base restaurant and as I can remember, I was having the BEST CARVING DAY OF MY LIFE, so I went back out with the boys for more.

The next part is per the boys, as they say I supposedly avoided an out-of-control skier getting a beginner lesson on a blue run? screaming as she squated over her skis straight-lining. They said I was locked on toe edge, looked up and saw the girl, tried to change directions, high-sided down the mountain, smacking the left, rear of my head (helmet), then flipping and coming to rest on my back. I don't remember. They scored it a solid 9.8... prior to impact.

I guess I was out for quite a few seconds before I could speak and I vaguely remember the ski instructor asking if I was OK and did I hit my head. I remember mumbling yes and asking for my son, who showed up with his friend a few seconds later. The boys said the instructor then skiied off with his student making some remark about how I shouldn't have been on the mountain on an old directional board, with ski boots (Donek FCI with Raichle 324's and TD3's), as they clipped me out of my step-ins. They helped me sit up and after a few minutes, I somehow rode down the mountain on beginner trails.

I barely remember walking in to the restaurant where my wife was waiting and we immediately went back to the hotel room, where she watched me closely, while I nursed a pounding headache for 2 days. We made it home last night and the headache has now gone, but the ears are still ringing, the memory is spotty and I'm bruised and bumped all over. Bottom line? I'm here to relate this story, thanks to my new helmet, my wife bought me over the summer. I haven't felt like inspecting it yet, but I know it must have taken quite a smack, so it will likely be replaced.

Hope to see all the LCI again soon!

James

Buy a helmet and wear it!