Note to New Members ×

Do you carve 100% of the time?

SWriverstone

Just a random question 'cause I'm curious. :)

Let's assume for the moment that your goal is to ride 100% on edge, 100% of the time. Can you do this? (Do you do this?)

I'm talking "silent running" here—no skidding at all—nada, zilch. No "scrapy" noise. Nothing but clean, pure, edge carves all the way.

I ask because...rightly or wrongly...this is the standard I hold myself to. And of course I fail miserably as a result. LOL Every time I go downhill, I want nothing but 100% clean edges all the way...with pencil-thin trenches all the way. for me, it's never happened...but then I'm also an intermediate at best.

So I'm wondering for you experts out there, the folks who lay out on the snow on every single turn no matter what, all the way down the hill...are you literally on edge 100% of the time?

Or is there ever even just a little tiny bit of skarving going on? Just a little tail washout...or someplace where your trenches get a little wider than pencil-thin?

(And like I said, let's temporarily set aside the idea that sometimes you might want to skarve or skid, for whatever reason.)

I'm just wondering how far I have to go to reach that 100% skidless nirvana...or if it's even possible?

Scott

People here place too high a standard on carving.

There, I said it. Carving is just another tool to use in the snowboarder's bag of tricks. To be on edge 100% is: a. Impossble, and b. limits you in what you actually can do on a snowboard.

Skidded turns can be just as fun as carved turns.

Scott, "No scrapy noise" = a Western Trip !!

Riding on the Ece Coast at smaller resorts (with narrower 'trails') don't always fit the radii of the sidecut we are riding, so 100% Carving would NOT be an easy task. Specially with hundreds of 'moving obsticles' thrown in just to keep you 'on your toes'. Anything is possible, and a lot more probable not on a Trail but out in a Bowl, somewhere with about 4' of 'real snow' and Natural Terrain (I'm thinking The Hoebacks @ Jackson Hole). I didn't hear a 'scrapy noise' for a week, thought I was going death, had a SMILE ear to ear & was hooting like a giddy teenager the whole time!

SES beckons............Unfortunately for me this season, so does the new job. :nono: :(

Yep, what Jim said too. Here in over populated Southern California the slopes do tend to become crowded at times. Carving would be downright impossible if not totally dangerous to do. Look at this photo taken last weekend at Snow Summit here in Calif. Do you see room to carve?? I think not. post-56-141842267914_thumb.jpg

While I would like to carve 100 % of the time it is just not possible. If I want to carve more I usually jump onto a pair of skis, that way you can carve to your hearts content. One other thing I experienced last weekend was leg fatigue. I know at the end of the day I was skidding my as* off just to make it down to the bottom of the mtn. Usually I never have leg fatigue, should've been on the bike more during the off season!!

OVR

Is that really the goal – pencil-thin edges, silent running, no "scrapy" noise? That sounds to me like the board isn't being carved aggressively enough. :D

greg

Well, if you have deep enough snow that isn't more than 2 days old so that the crystals are small, it's quiet. If it's warm and turned into potatoes, then you're pretty much stuck doing 1950's ski jump turns.

Fresh completely man made base and tops are so strange because they are DEAD silent and you hear your roostertails hitting.

If the run is only 4 or 5 turns and empty sure i can carve 100%!

Most of the time i look for open space to hit a couple and do it over and over again because of the danger (once while doing a fast layd out one a skier hit me really bad but he got hit worse ,he did 3 somersaults and landed on his back)and the fitness I'm in that sucks!

Do I carve 100% of the time? Hell no. I love powder too :biggthump

Now on "carving days" I do tend to carve most of the time, except when I'm stopping, avoiding someone or something that can't be safely avoided while carving, approaching a congested section, etc. In all those cases, safety first.

I agree with Jim, but I do try to fully carve a run if all of these conditions are met: there are no other interesting features on the trail besides cord; I have the energy; the trail is wide enough for the board I'm on; the trail isn't solid ice, the trail is uncrowded or there is a break in the traffic (I'll sit and wait for a break rather than skid down with traffic). Sometimes on my 158 I'll aim for the solid ice patches just to see if I've got the mojo.

anyone who answers yes is either lying or doesn't know enough to recognize when they aren't carving.

I love laying out an arc as much as anyone, but there really is no better feeling in snowboarding than throwing a big slashing spraying turn...especially when you douse your spouse (or even better your child) with the spray...and you can't do that carving :D

Only carve when I'm forced to, but it's entirely enjoyable when there are no other options.

But you should see what he does to a mogul field!!

Anyways, if you think you carve 100% of the time, you are lying to us, or you need to get out more often...on steeper narrower stuff. Excluding of course, human pylons, which make it difficult, too...but fun!

Hey, oldvolvosrule, I see a great line through that!