Note to New Members ×

Any Coiler Monster ride reports yet?

MUD

Nah, 16m is no big deal, I have that on my Madd 180. 23cm waist on a 188, now that's a lot of lumber.

I tried a Donek 205 with 18.5m radius for a day. It was surprisingly usable, and crazy stable. I want one.

Thanks for the feedback Jack, I have also read that the Monsters/Schtubbies ride shorter than they are.....

Don't hesitate, i have had a couple of 2 meter boards and it's surprising how easy it was to adapt to the speed.

The metal boards seem to turn a bit smaller than the size would indicate , or it could be that it takes less effort to ride that the runs seem wider.

Bruce posted some comments here..

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22696&highlight=monster

There are not too many out there yet and I have yet to build a fair number still on order.

I'll give a decent report on how mine rides.

I have thge 188 x 23 x 15/16m which is a pretty much exact copy of James' board

Firstly I must give full credit to him for kicking my ass to build it as it was so far off any previous metal design I had done it was a bit intimidating to take on the project due to unknown design considerations. I was not a "wide board liker" to that point and had the opportunity to test his as I do that with all untried designs during snow season to make sure I get a feel for what is going on. On a side note, I test a fair amount of customers boards as my production method will allow me to do it before the board is totally finished off. This is a huge advantage in the design advancement as I have a real good feel for testing and each new design or any board which has a small tweak can be tested head to head against my personal boards, demos or other customer boards. I live about 20 mins away from a 300' hill so taking half a dozen runs on varied hills really lets me know how things are going. To test larger or race boards I drive the extra hour on occasion to get to a more formidable hill.

As for the monster, took me a few runs to get used to it as I had not ridden a wide board much but once I got over that I really started to like it. So much so I built myself one but just a bit stiffer as I am a bit heavier than James. Initially I found it easy on hill when being aggressive but didn't like the feel at the bottom of the hill as the width simply took more energy to get up on edge to slow down. Got over that soon enough too. The conditions that day were typical hard underneath with a layer of softer stuff on top which got clumped up . Seeing as I had my bindings set to allow for about 1/2" clearance on each side, it was not concern booting out! The boards are actually real soft for the length and I found I could really wrap turns quite tight when needed. With mine I can carve a pretty clean 360 almost anywhere on a moderate hill . I originally thought the tail was a bit too soft but then after getting bounced around and put in the back seat a few times, I found the board just kept on carving! I know jokingly refer to it as the " save your tail, tail!" Stubbies and AMs are very similar. You do give up a bit of rear board energy but I learned to really like it and surely others will too.

On real steep hills I can get away with throwing the body towards the snow and hoping the board comes around, which it does.Was testing it last week on real steep ( no skiers can do a solid carve on those hills) and it was not as easy as the stubs or AMs of course mostly due to sidecut as I did have to jump a bit sometimes to get the direction changed before setting the edge but I knew I was at its limit which was expected. On that day we had hills solidly covered in death cookies and that is where it outperfomed the shorter effective length boards as it gave more of a Caddilac ride. Had a very short opportunity to ride it in some soft snow blown into the side of a hill and pushing it through that was fun too as the board softness and decamber allowed for pretty easy manipulation. My favorite move to pull on that board is to find a banked run with solid snow and get the board up higher than your body in a carve, the metals hold and boot clearance really make that a fun turn to try! Riding aggro in soft snow it has let me know I was reaching the limit by bucking a bit when the nose started to really bend but it has snapped me back each time with just a warning so I consider that stiffness just about right on mine for my weight as it allows for the widest range of usage. The metal also lets them come in at a very reasonable weight as mine is approx 8.5 lbs which when you look at the size and then pick it up, it is surprising as to the light weight.

If you are considering it as your first and only metal, you really should like wide boards as if I had the choice I would probably go with a 176 AM x 21.5 or a stub with 20 or 21 waist as my favorite for a do all board.

BV

Bruce correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I demo one of your proto monsters at the ECES at Stowe? If it was a monster with a 16m sidecut I was able to crank it fairly tight. I rode it all morning on Lift Line at Stowe which is a fairly steep trail. I was surprised at how tight I was able to turn a 16m board. The only thing that freaked me out was how damn fast the board was. Once it hooked into a turn it just took off:eplus2:

You can definitely crank a metal board tighter than a glass board, so if your questioning sidecut keep that in mind.

Thanks for the feedback Jack, I have also read that the Monsters/Schtubbies ride shorter than they are.....

I would say that they ride according to their sidecut, but that they *can* be tightened up a bit more than their glass counterparts. In other words, if you know you want an X meter sidecut radius, just get that. You don't have to specify X + Y when buying metal. There is no "conversion factor".

I had a 12m board, a 15m, and I have a 16m board, and my 14.2m metal board carves exactly the size I wanted and expected. But it is more versatile and I can tighten it up more when I want. I think this is a combination of the board being a little softer, and the Titanal performing better at higher edge angles...?

I would say that they ride according to their sidecut, but that they *can* be tightened up a bit more than their glass counterparts. In other words, if you know you want an X meter sidecut radius, just get that. You don't have to specify X + Y when buying metal. There is no "conversion factor".

I had a 12m board, a 15m, and I have a 16m board, and my 14.2m metal board carves exactly the size I wanted and expected. But it is more versatile and I can tighten it up more when I want. I think this is a combination of the board being a little softer, and the Titanal performing better at higher edge angles...?

I see..... Makes sense. I just need to decide what I want. I am struggling with whether or not to replace my Axxess. If I do, it will be with an AM I think........ Maybe get the AM first, then go for the Monster if I want more.

Ugh..... It is nice to have all these choices, but it sure is hard to make them.:o

Bruce correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I demo one of your proto monsters at the ECES at Stowe? If it was a monster with a 16m sidecut I was able to crank it fairly tight. I rode it all morning on Lift Line at Stowe which is a fairly steep trail. I was surprised at how tight I was able to turn a 16m board. The only thing that freaked me out was how damn fast the board was. Once it hooked into a turn it just took off:eplus2:

You can definitely crank a metal board tighter than a glass board, so if your questioning sidecut keep that in mind.

Correct you I must!

That was a 184x 19.8 x 14.2m early version Classic without tail decamber and a nasty aggressive grind that buzzed when you slid it a bit. The Classics are derived from the first generation of metal raceboards and have more mid and tail stiffness. This actually inhibits the extra bending as it forces the nose forward to accelerate you instead, thats the feeling of acceleration you describe. Good for racing at provincial levels and a good call for a dual duty race/freecarve board. Tougher to use on steeps for the acceleration reasons. One other thing you have to keep in mind is the higher sidecuts are great when the snow is reasonable but get to be scary when you can't set the edge due to snow you cannot trust . The order for scariness is something like this

NSR, classics, monsters,stubs, AMs.

At ECES I used the Monster with good results in the morning but when it stated to get real soft it was a bit too fast as you couldn't " sink your teeth" into the slope to bend it and slow down. Testing an NSR in frozen granular spring nasty conditions last season was too fast so I switched down to the Monster which was a bit better but the AM was the hero that day.

Another thing is different manufacturers boards have always had different bend characteristics. My glass models rode longer than the sidecut indicated while I have heard that Doneks ride shorter and could turn pretty tight per sidecut. Lots of factors involved and each design has its strengths and weaknesses so its a matter of choice and always neat to experience it all. So for me to go to metal, it was a large change in flex type so they really are quite different from my glass boards.

Chew on that for a while:)

BV

I see..... Makes sense. I just need to decide what I want. I am struggling with whether or not to replace my Axxess. If I do, it will be with an AM I think........ Maybe get the AM first, then go for the Monster if I want more.

Ugh..... It is nice to have all these choices, but it sure is hard to make them.:o

If you have or travel to powder frequently, or if you like shorter turns, get the AM. Otherwise, I vote for the Schtubby M-spec. 171cm, 14m sidecut, 21cm waist. The 21cm waist makes it great for all-mtn duty and big feet. Unless you're like size US13+, then you probably want to go wider.

I am struggling with whether or not to replace my Axxess. If I do, it will be with an AM I think........ Maybe get the AM first, then go for the Monster if I want more.

Looks like you've got the Nyberg 182 Axxess, 12m sidecut? Well the new AMs would have the same sidecut. I've ridden the regular 182 Axxess and new new AMs have a very different feel... Way more grippy but less pop. The new AMs hook up more easily. They're almost too easy to ride! *Almost * :)

Looks like you've got the Nyberg 182 Axxess, 12m sidecut? Well the new AMs would have the same sidecut. I've ridden the regular 182 Axxess and new new AMs have a very different feel... Way more grippy but less pop. The new AMs hook up more easily. They're almost too easy to ride! *Almost * :)

Thanks Mike! That is correct. I may end up with an AM, sell the Axxess and then get a Monster for next year.......

My biggest problem right now is my Virus BX is a serious quiver killer. It holds together way better than the Axxess when pushed and can handle anything I throw at it AND is a really easy ride. I was hoping to get a bigger board with similar properties.

Thanks Mike! That is correct. I may end up with an AM, sell the Axxess and then get a Monster for next year.......

My biggest problem right now is my Virus BX is a serious quiver killer. It holds together way better than the Axxess when pushed and can handle anything I throw at it AND is a really easy ride. I was hoping to get a bigger board with similar properties.

The AM is almost a quiver-killer. It'll work anywhere, it can handle being pushed hard but it dumps speed aggressively in the process of being pushed hard. If you're looking for something that holds speed better go with something with first and foremost a bigger sidecut radius, and second more length if that's what you want. (Jack's probably thinking the same thing when he suggested his Schtubby spec... or something like my 177 Classic)

If you're looking for serious speed, can't say enough good things about the NSR. I used to have a PR188 Superboard (15.7 sidecut) and the NSR will get up to speed faster, and can tolerate bad input much better. I have JoelP's old PR 196 (17+ sidecut) and I haven't decide which one is more stable at high speeds yet, although I can say for sure that the NSR feels a lot safer when you need to scrub speed quickly or change direction quickly. MUCH safer.

I haven't ridden a Monster myself but will do so at the earliest opportunity.