Note to New Members ×

Durable waterproof mittens

xxguitarist

Rather than bring up a thread from '06 that I found when searching, I figured I'd start a new one.

I've got a pair of burton gloves from a couple years ago, and they're starting to wear through, despite lots of reinforcements. After surfing through a couple winters I've figured out that (wetsuit) mittens are a lot warmer than (wetsuit) gloves, I figure the same applies to regular winter/snowboard wear.

Anyone have any suggestions for a reinforced mitten, preferably one with goretex?

Well I think you're right. I use mitts. I like Gore Tex, and the seams have to be taped, so simple designs work better than clever ones, in my opinion. I get the gauntlet ones because they keep the powder out without fuss, and you can wear whatever liners you like. If it's cold I'll take a spare set of liners for the afternoon (you inevitably get powder in there if you're doi8ng photography). I also wear thin gloves inside of that lot, to allow my fingers to be useful outside the mits for longer.

Brand wise... I don't think it makes much difference; anything will work if it's made from the right material and isn't full of fashion stuff.

These days I don't seem to wear mitts out much, but when I did, my favoured reinforcement was duct tape.

I just got the Black Diamond Mercury Mittens. This is my first season with them and they are holding up well so far. Its waterproof and has leather on the palms for durability.

I got them at REI and also compared them to the REI brand mittens as well as others. IMHO this mit is by far the warmest and fluffiest ones at the store. The other mits felt flat and this one feels like a thick and soft blanket. Its not on REI's website any more but you can find them at backcountry dot com for $80.

So far its kept my hands warm at 15 degree weather.

HAVE NOT STARTED LOOKING FOR A NEW PAIR YET

try ----- Goggle -----Ice climbing Gear!!!

I like to use a lot of crossover gear

I use Motorcycle body Armor

Also use Water-proof foul weather Motorcycle pants while on the snow/ these things have waterproof zippers-- major reinforcement--almost bullet proof

Black Diamond Mercury Mitts - you die wearing those and when they find you, your hands will still be warm. I only wear them below zero otherwise my hands are a pile of sweat. Insanely warm and with an index finger slot for dexterity. I have had these for a few years for winter use and they do not disappoint. I size them so I can put a liner glove on for when I have to take the glove off briefly, put a wrist guard on and throw in a hand warmer in. Have not needed the had warmer yet. Last winter out at 17 below and the only thing on my body that was warm was my hands. Outside hiking in 20 or so below the hands never get cold.

I just picked up (yesterday) a pair of Swany X-change II mitts from REI as my above zero mittens. I was out a lot last week and had cold hands with my normal gloves. The Swany's have a full glove inside the mitt so they have a lot of dexterity for a mitt. They should have the sweat issue licked because of the glove. They are leather in the palms like the Mercury Mitts. The look rugged and fit great.

I personally own about 10 or 12 pairs of gloves and mittens. In cold weather outdoor activities I change out gloves if they get wet at all, and believe you can never have too many sets of gloves. I use my fingers at work, it's important.

Rick

Ok, so this is Minnesota I am using as a reference.....

I wear moose hide or elk hide choppers with Dachstein wool liners. The choppers only last a couple of years but only cost about $20. The liners last forever.

Dachsteins are boiled wool. I can wear them when it is -10F and my hands COOK. They are actually comfortable down below -20F.

If you are looking for utilitarian warmth, this is it......

When it is about 0, I wear deer hide lined work gloves. These are not very warm, but they are cheap!

Sorry, just read you are looking for gore-tex. I'm no help there.

Black Diamond Mercury Mitts - you die wearing those and when they find you, your hands will still be warm. I only wear them below zero otherwise my hands are a pile of sweat.

I totally agree since my wife and I each have a pair. During the beginning of the season when it was warm I thought I made a mistake b/c the weather was warmer and the gloves felt like a sauna. Now that the weather is 20 or below the Mercury feels so good.

I wear moose hide or elk hide choppers with Dachstein wool liners. The choppers only last a couple of years but only cost about $20. The liners last forever.

Where can I find these 'choppers'? I routinely ride at -30 to -40 and have a heck of a time keeping my hands warm.

If you don't put your hands on the snow I don't need to here how good your mitts are. All mitts are good if you keep them off the snow.Thanks everybody for the good info.

:rolleyes:EXCUUUUUSE MEEE:rolleyes: I am not a hand dragger and I was responding to the O.P. requirement for warmth not being bulletproof