Note to New Members ×

What is a Coiler SCHTUBBY?

surfin'carver

What is a Coiler SCHTUBBY?

Just curious as I've never seen one.

short board, long sidecut, minimal nose & tail to maximize running length - designed by Bruce & Shred Gruumer

Schtubby X2 is 171 x 20 w x 13.2 scr

don't remember the dimensions of the others but search Shred's posts and you will see them.

Here's the first schtubbies were made.

The middle one is Shreds and this is how suppose to come out.

Bruce change/rounded the nose little bit to the others.

They are 1cm narrower than Jacks Safari at 20cm waist,other than that normal with 13.2mSCR.

Left is Hans and right is mine.

Also there is a difference in the binding inserts position according rider preferences.

post-1761-14184226501_thumb.jpg

DETAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D I'll let the man himself post the details; I don't want to get them wrong. I know the specs for mine but not the others.

Somewhere there is a picture that James Ong posted of the 1st gen Monster he had made last year. It was a 188cm, black topsheet with gray elipses.

:D I'll let the man himself post the details; I don't want to get them wrong. I know the specs for mine but not the others.

Somewhere there is a picture that James Ong posted of the 1st gen Monster he had made last year. It was a 188cm, black topsheet with gray elipses.

This baord is a kick in the ass! I rode it for the first time last year at SES. 188, 23 cm wide and scr of about 16.... i think

First run on the board felt like coming home :1luvu:

Bruce was kind enough to ship it board to J. Parker in Carbondale in time for the big event.

Good timing too, my "other" metal board developed a crack on the first day of SES.

I like the idea of the Stubby -- long effective edge on a short board, but I'm not sure if the big SCR would work for me. Has anyone tried one with a smaller SCR, like less than 12?

There is a "TurnSchtubby" design that is, I think, 11.5m.

IMHO the 13.2's can easily be turned as tight as any 10.5-12m non-metal board as I've been on.

I never had the chance to do an A/B comparison between a 10.5-12 non-metal and a 13.2 Schtubby but I know the runs at Bachelor pretty well and, I'm 99% certain I can crank the Schtubby into a tighter turn on early-spring-morning bulletproof than I ever could my Donek FC 175 which is 11.75 SCR. The Schtubby is most certainly more grippy, much more grippy. One of the things about metal that is not often discussed on these threads is that one can bend them more, with less effort.

Fun fact: The standard Schtubby 171 template has an edge length of 155, which is **EXACTLY** the same as the edge length of the Donek FC 171.

There is a "TurnSchtubby" design that is, I think, 11.5m.

IMHO the 13.2's can easily be turned as tight as any 10.5-12m non-metal board as I've been on.

I never had the chance to do an A/B comparison between a 10.5-12 non-metal and a 13.2 Schtubby...

I rode a 12m 72AM metal for a 1/2 day last year. The board was built for a much heavier rider, yet I could crank it just as tight as my 10.5m glass 72AM. The metal/12m scr provided better stability at speed and much better grip on hardpack.

Bruce just shipped my 173x20x13.2m Stub and a 172AMT to PTC. Can't wait to try em out. Curious to see how the 73Stub compares to my glass PR 173x18x13.2m. The Stub should be much more versatile and a blast to ride.:1luvu:

So my question is, what is the "Monster" that Bruce has been talking about?

The monsters are the big boys of the carving world. From the man himself:

"I have been doing quite a few of the "Monsters" this was originally inspired by a customers design and after testing I immediately built a 188 x 23 x 15/16m for myself and it was one of my favorite rides last season. They are actually quite soft but can be ridden pretty hard in varied snow. They use the race board decamber to give a great feel of control despite the length.

Early season I will be developing a full line which will be:

182, 185 and 188 all available in 20, 21.5 or 23 wide. Sidecuts will be 14.2/15m or the already tested 15/16m

Even did a 188 x 24 for a guy!"

->Ben