Note to New Members ×

Are metal boards really that much better?

snowboardfast

groovastic, are you coming to ECS? i have something for you to test run :rolleyes:

I'm only gonna be in Soelden for a week in March, and the rest of my carving time I'll spend in Slovenia (weekends only). I'm going to Thailand for 3 weeks now, so won't have enough free days for snow :mad:

Got any test models in Soelden?

PS sorry for the OT

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know which part of Europe you refer but atleast here in dark North trend is stronger for Titanals than ever due boards are getting more durable and more easier to handle. Only expeption to this rule is Tinklers, but i dont cosidere them as traditional boards ;) all others are mainly Titanals. And i dont wonder :1luvu:

There are always leading and lagging indicators… I am telling you what product is/was being moved these days and maybe it’s a leading indicator… But as I mentioned many times before, it’s always a personal opinion and most important is to have the most fun with the product someone purchases… in regards to “easier to handle”, many people I know don’t consider that always a good thing. Could it be that people are getting a bit more lazy these days and compensate… boards are getting easier to ride, therefore the rider is not be pushed hard enough to grow into a board he couldn’t handle well from day one? Kind of like "no pain no gain”. Just a thought.

Yea, agree, Tinkler is in it's own league...

Cheers!

Could it be that people are getting a bit more lazy these days and compensate… boards are getting easier to ride, therefore the rider is not be pushed hard enough to grow into a board he couldn’t handle well from day one? Kind of like no “pain no gain”. Just a thought.

you can call me lazy if you wish but if i can have "GAIN WITH NO PAIN" I will take it

My point is same as some wrote above, metall allows you ride longer and have fun for longer period. Yes i know that some people enjoy challenge to fight with board, but what i have seen is that these people right shortly on slope and rest then to get power to get few more runs.

I like to ride and enjoy of every turn i make, this is area where metall rules :ices_ange

From what I see and hear from Europe, a sure trend back to non-metal boards this season for free carving boards that is, don’t know about racing. Seems the European riders seek aggressiveness and like to get the most snap and liveliness out of their boards vs. maximum dampness. Sure, it all depends on the most sophisticated combination of high tech materials, but still, dampness also in my opinion is a little overrated for free-fun carving boards.

Yes it is, but you have to try a Coiler. He really does have the balance of lively-to-damp nailed. I would also think Donek would have a good balance too, their boards have traditionally been very lively and fun. The Prior metal I had was first generation, and I think was a little too damp for my taste. Priors appear to be much different now.

Yes it is, but you have to try a Coiler. He really does have the balance of lively-to-damp nailed. I would also think Donek would have a good balance too, their boards have traditionally been very lively and fun. The Prior metal I had was first generation, and I think was a little too damp for my taste. Priors appear to be much different now.

The new Priors are supposedly even more damp: http://www.priorsnowboards.com/boards_wcr_metal.php

Not only does Coiler have the "add some pep to the metal" thing figured out, he can do it in varying degrees depending on what you want. My AM 176 has a nice amount of spring to it - probably more so than his standard construction boards that I have ridden. I asked him to make my new Classic GS with even more rebound.

They are the most versatile, sure-footed boards ever. They do not chatter. ... However on a perfect carpet of firm, 20 degrees F corduroy, a more lively glass board is going to be a bit more fun. ...

I totally agree with Jack. While on perfect hero cord I could pick my classic big WCR, it is not a board I can ride all day long at full blast. Call me lazy, call me unfit, but metal is so much easier with extra edge grip.

+but it's the fact that I can ride two or three more hours in a day before I get too tired to turn

what, now with metal boards you get in a whopping hour fifteen to two hours of riding per day?!?

Give it up, we all know you talk more than you ride. :flamethro

:D

Matt - demo one and you will be in heaven! Trying to get another Loveland Carve Session organized.

... It’s kinda like explaining that we are in a downhill sport and the weight of the board doesn’t matter… I rode very light boards and also those heavy tanks and I strongly believe for free carving (not in particular racing), the boards on the lighter side of the scale deliver way more fun and versatility… I also believe they are saver, once a “real heavy” board is twisting on you (crash related) it creates quite some leverage and can be very painful…just another 2 cents…

I believe I did demo a metal board last year at the Loveland carving session. It was the SG 185 with the hangl plate that Bola brought up. I thought it was Way too heavy to ride all day with the hangl plate or even too heavy for general free carving. As far as how it rode it was fine although I didn't think it was that much different than any thing else I have ridden. I didn't have any trouble riding it with the Hangl plate even though I had never riden a hangl plate before. Also Bola told me that the board had an 18 meter sidecut which I didn't find out until after i rode it and I didn't have any trouble turning it and It felt about the same as the 185 B&S that I used to have. Does this board qualify as a metal board-the SG ? Again I thought it was too heavy and wouldn't want the hangl plate.

Im sure engineers have pondered this for years, but I guess there is a "magic" titanal thickness that will give you just the right amount of dampening without sacrificing too much pop. I'm reminded of when atomic's skis first used texalium, which when you think about it, mimics triax or quadrax glass, except with metal fibres. I thought about metal stringers, (strips), but they would only control vibration, and do nothing about tortional stiffness. Maybe a combo of the two, a solid sheet below the core, and stringers on top? I'm pretty sure it's all been tried before.

Oh well...........

Dave R.

... It’s kinda like explaining that we are in a downhill sport and the weight of the board doesn’t matter… I rode very light boards and also those heavy tanks and I strongly believe for free carving (not in particular racing), the boards on the lighter side of the scale deliver way more fun and versatility… I also believe they are saver, once a “real heavy” board is twisting on you (crash related) it creates quite some leverage and can be very painful…just another 2 cents…

The metal boards aren't any heavier. I believe they require less fabric. Actually the Prior metal I had was the lightest board I'd ever ridden, it was fun that way.

I believe I did demo a metal board last year at the Loveland carving session. It was the SG 185 with the hangl plate that Bola brought up. I thought it was Way too heavy to ride all day with the hangl plate or even too heavy for general free carving. As far as how it rode it was fine although I didn't think it was that much different than any thing else I have ridden. I didn't have any trouble riding it with the Hangl plate even though I had never riden a hangl plate before. Also Bola told me that the board had an 18 meter sidecut which I didn't find out until after i rode it and I didn't have any trouble turning it and It felt about the same as the 185 B&S that I used to have. Does this board qualify as a metal board-the SG ? Again I thought it was too heavy and wouldn't want the hangl plate.

Conditions as Lovie that day were pretty much hero. So no, you would not notice the benefits of a metal board. Yes, the Hangl adds significant weight to the board; only the competent racers really "need" a plate system such a the Hangl.

Did you join us two Springs ago at Winter Park when Bola did the informal demo? The melt-freeze conditions were brutal in the AM and death cookies were everywhere. Most of us were having trouble setting an edge. Inkaholic was riding the same board, 185cm SG with Hangl. I wish we had video because the board was vibrating like crazy as it went over the uneven, firm terrain. When you looked up as Ink's knees, nothing - no movement. None of the vibration was transferring through the plate system to him. That means that he was not having to counter or absorb the vibration input - the translation... he was using significantly less energy than the rest of us. I rode a Vampire later in the day and noticed a substantial difference - improvement over a standard construction board. As Ink mentioned previously, he liked the riding characteristics of the board so much he now has one.

Yes, the SG has an 18m SCR and you were able to decamber the board and make it turn super small radius turns. Yet the board had superb torsional rigidity. THIS IS ONE BIG BENEFIT OF METAL BOARDS, YOU COULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT ON A STANDARD CONSTRUCTION BOARD! So, yes, you did experience one big benefit of a metal board. Metal is extremely versatile; that is part of the reason that everyone callsthem quiver killers.

Talk to Bola, take a metal board to Lovie on a Sunday here in the early season. They are not grooming on Sundays yet; the condition will be firm and uneven. This would be the perfect time to demo a metal board so that you will understand the benefits!

The metal boards aren't any heavier. I believe they require less fabric. Actually the Prior metal I had was the lightest board I'd ever ridden, it was fun that way.

I am not saying metal boards are heavier, wasn’t the point… it’s more the argumentation and explanation I and other boarder friends of mine hear, which is being used why something is suppose to better than the other. I have nothing against metal boards, I like mine and I think everybody should have one, but I think it still comes down to what an individual prefers and expects from their boards, that’s all.

Cheers!

MAybe There is a reason why almost every all went to metel....It just make riding easier,,

Exactly what i meant, easier. But maybe with a limited potential for what some expect from their equipment. All I was saying.

and if you think it dont have pop... well then you just dont push it;;\\\\\\\
Good one. It is well known that a non-metal board is the more agressive board with more pop. If that is what someones perfers.
its such a feel of what you want..

Also exactly what I said...

for ice... nothing beats metal..

How can you be so sure about this? If you would say that "you" don't know anything better as of right now I would agree, but as a general statement, nope.

:ices_ange

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Shred Gruumer viewpost.gif

for ice... nothing beats metal..

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

How can you be so sure about this? If you would say that "you" don't know anything better as of right now I would agree, but as a general statement, nope.

Hmmm

OK any board under an advanced rider can carve ice, I'm thinking bullet proof east coast ice, the day after a 68 degree rainy day when it's 19 degrees and dropping...

but a metal board will be less strain on the rider

that's a better board