Note to New Members ×

Best Home Tuning System?

*Ace*

I'm also a big fan of the tooltonic tuning file...

Doing about 30-40 boards a year, this is simply the fastest tool there is for:

- removing sidewall and fiberglass above the edge.

- sharpening with accurate angles without effort or pressure needed using the now famous Icecut chrome files from Vallorbe that is now used by all pro ski mans in the WC tour.

- polishing quickly with the rotofinish that fits on it ( rotating diamond disks)

Of course it does not comes out cheap but we ( at swoard) highly recommend it..I got rid of all the other tools i had for that kit and its accessories.

I even carry it in the pocket with a roto finish so when i catch a stone on the edge, i can just repolish it while standing in the lift line :D

N

Just get the individual tools that you need. I started just waxing my own stuff (iron and scraper), then deburring edges after minor mishaps (svst DMT diamon stone), then non-trivial edge work (files, SVST side edge file guides, Ski Man 1* base bevel guide).

I have a Ptex gun too which in retrospect is overkill.

I like way's way Wax Whizard for applying wax, I use the glide enhancer for cleaning sap out of bases. The side beveler is good for polishing edges, but they really need to be deburred first using something else. Don't think about setting a bevel using it, unless you are trying to seriously punish yourself and have several days to do it. I don't like the base beveler.

+1 for Tooltonic: IMO the best edge handling system. I tried several others: some were cheaper and lighter (plastic), but didn't work after a while (files dropped off, hard to handle etc), some were cheaper and bigger and weighted more, but similar to Tooltonic in terms of compactness and usability I have to find yet. Yes, it costs a lot, but IMO it's well worth of.

Waxing/tuning edges myself generally, only in case of bigger base repairs go to tuning shop....

I have a "deal" worked out with the resort I work at......

I make the board tune shop a gourmet meal once a month, they do my boards when ever I want.

my best tool is the "SMILE STONE" :eplus2:

be careful, some shop folk are dangerous

I had a guy honestly tell me that snowboards are not meant to be flat

I am a firm believer in Ray's Way after talking to Ray several times over the phone. I urge you to call or email him and ask him about his white paper on hot waxing. I love his waxer and side edge sharpening tool. Idiot proof.

Agree. His products are just so easy and easy to use. And they ask only a little investment. I use Ray's products in combo with Tooltonic.

Another fan of Rays waxing tube and side edge polisher. If you have a nice tune on your ride then it's easy to keep the edges just perfect if you touch them up every day. And the waxing tube makes a fast gliding ski or snowboard too, I like to hit it with the rotobrush after pushing the wax in and it's faaaast!

For big stuff I use a pansar file and guide...or just a visit to a quality shop. I use hot wax maybe once a year if I want to hot scrape a bunch of junk from my board or right after a grind.

Some good music, an adult beverage, and a couple of boards to touch up and it's a fun time!