Note to New Members ×

Best Advice for mailing your boards to yourself on a trip?

queequeg

So I've got a summit country trip coming up on November 16th, and given the way that airlines are gouging snowboarders on luggage fees - I think I am going to mail myself my board along with that of my friends. It seems like there is a good possibility of getting stuck paying some considerable cash for trying to check anything but the most amusingly miniature of boards in at the gate, so I'm going to try and avoid the risk altogether by sending them fedex. I searched the forum to see if there was any handy advice about this to be had (and I'm sure there must be) but I could't find it.

Does anyone have any advice about how to do this successfully? Right now the plan is to put all three boards in one box without bindings, send them early enough to get there a few days ahead of time, and then send them back right before leaving.

Mostly I'm concerned about where to send them - we are staying at a share and I'm not sure that anyone will be there to get them if we send in advance, so I think we have to be creative about where to send them. Otherwise, I imagine we can fedex them back on the way to the airport for our return trip.

I once did this for a trip to Alaska- I sent my boards without bindings by fedex to Anchorage, but routed them to the Fedex freight office at the airport.

Once I picked up my luggage at arrivals, I caught a cab curbside and went over to the freight terminal. I called ahead from arrivals and my boards were ready for pick-up when the cab pulled up in front.

I don't know whether this particular arrangement would work outside of business hours though.

QQ - you can send them to our place/our PO Box (depending on USPS or Fedex) in Breckenridge. I've also found that using priority mail through USPS is a good way to go. I live one block from the PO, so if you mail I can pick up for you. Or, you can have them shipped to our house, and we can all go out for drinks when you get here. We're about 15 minutes from Frisco, if that's where you're staying.

Email me to set it all up if you want.

Angie

I can give you a addy to send them to if you are worried that they might not be recieved.

However it will be in highlands ranch.

marked with high insurance requiring a sig, makes it held at the post offirice.

mark next day air and fragle the less time in the transit = less damage.

they may charge for oversize...... Lamemmme. but makes life easy for travel.

You can also ship them to us if you like. However, you will have to make arrangements to pick them up from us when we are open, or we can arrange something else for you. Might be easier than going to freight at DIA, and the PO has restrictions on size and weight. Just a thought but if intersted, email me at bomber at bomberonline dot com.

That's a generous offer Michelle made.

I have a real struggle when traveling to an event like the NASTAR Nationals because I'm transporting skis, board, and two pair of boots plus tuning/waxing gear. Last year I managed to keep everything under the 50 lb weight limits by putting one boot in my suitcase but this year I know I'm going to get dinged with the more restrictive limits.

As a retailer I have a UPS account and I'll just ship everything from the shop to my hotel in Steamboat and vice versa. UPS will pick up from the hotel on the return trip. The only caution I'd give you is to allow for delays but UPS is pretty reliable.