Note to New Members ×

SES 09 - Let us know you'll be in Aspen!

Michelle

Ok, this may be a bit NeoMaxiZoomDweebie of me but - would it be a good idea to set up an SES 09 facebook group, so that everyone can sign up and "meet" each other online prior to meeting each other in person? It could make setting up plans/events etc a bit easier.

Oh wait ... nevermind. There's allready a group. I swear, I'm gonna be late to my own funeral.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jose - go join the Bomber Carving Community Group ... most of the people who are on Bomber and on Facebook are part of it, and while not all SESers will be a good chance to see faces.

Really I am just trying to make my group wicked popular.:rolleyes:

PS If you can't find it, go to my info on my profile...I started it so its in my groups!

Booked the flight and confirmed housing today. Two days ago I had no intention of being able to attend SES. I've been saying to myself just wait until next year, kids will be older, blah blah, etc.... Then my SO said why don't you just go, the kids and I will be fine, have fun. Took me 1/2 a second to change my mind. I have the best girlfriend ever :D.

Solo pocono carver reporting for duty and my first SES...

Jesse

Max - Where will you be boarding on Thursday and Friday (Feb 5 and 6)? I will arrive early for the SES and would like to ride with you guys - if I can keep up. Of course pushing your equipment until it breaks will slow you up a bit! Dan Lambert

Hi Dan. Unforunately we're just arriving on Saturday at the beginning of SES, but we'll also be boarding then on Sat 14th. Let's meet at some day during SES?

Max

PS: I'll try to speed down a bit without breaking any equipment ;)

So I have this on the schedule tentatively.

Mats. As a certified Burner boy, I hereby request a demo reservation of the Afterburner and Metalburner. Please. Pretty, pretty please.

:biggthump

No probs. I will have them waxed up and ready to go.

/M

So...(as always, forgive my ignorance of past SES activities)...I have a feeling that trying to "organize" SES might be like herding cats...but would it make sense to pull together a full list of everyone coming and identify people by skill level/experience?

I'm not suggesting segregation so much as just knowing who else is a beginner, who's an intermediate, etc.

I've organized several big events in the past in other sports (motorcycling meets, paddling events, etc.) and sometimes (but not always) it gets a bit chaotic and uncomfortable when you have beginners mixed in with ultra-experts (because the experts don't always like being held back for the beginners and the beginners aren't always comfortable around the experts). Sometimes it's not ideal to throw everyone into the same bucket (or onto the same slope).

If nobody likes this idea and/or if this has never been an issue in the past, no problem. :) It's just a thought. :biggthump

Scott

PS - I do know there are usually clinics for people at different skill levels, right? And while I definitely want to watch and learn from the experts, I don't want to be in their way or run down by anyone!

Don’t worry about it Scott. Last year was my first at SES, I had as many questions as you did.

Imagine you’re taking a bus to an unfamiliar ski resort with people you don’t know. When you get there you can pretty much do whatever you want, including making friends and going riding with them, or riding by yourself all day. The Bomber tent is always there, waiting for you to demo gear, chat, or buy more goodies. There’s usually a crowd there too.

The clinics I went to were very inclusive of all skill levels. Sean gave people tips appropriate for their own riding level. There was never a feeling of being rushed or held up. You talked about something to try, then went down the run for a little ways before stopping again to discuss that action and getting the next one to try.

My advice: Put sunblock on your face (this was new for me!), show up at the Bomber tent, and go with the flow.

Kinda off-topic...but can any locals tell me the best driving route from Gunnison to Aspen (well, Snowmass Village actually)?

When I zoomed in (in satellite view) on Google Maps' "1st choice" route (135 north through Crested Butte and continuing north to Aspen), it looked like we'd either need a Snowcat or pack mules! lol.gif

The 2nd choice (from Gunnison through Baldwin on County Road 730 heading northwest to 133) looked only slightly less gnarly.

I'm all for rough, twisty roads...I just wanna be sure whatever route we take is passable in February. (And of course I want the fastest route—not necessarily the shortest.)

Thanks!

Scott

When I did that drive 2 yrs ago, it took me 5.5 hrs on mostly snowpacked roads. Maybe going thru GJT would be faster, but I doubt it.

Maybe even going thru Buena Vista to Copper to Glenwood would be good. I think the speed limits are higher.

From Gunnison to Salida is a solid hour (65 miles) and depending on conditions going over Monarch pass might be pretty slow. From Salida it takes us usually from 3.5 to 4.5 hours to get to Aspen. Rather than going through Copper though, go via Minturn -- it's faster and you avoid Vail Pass.

Gunnison to Grand Junction should be about 2 hours (IIRC), another hour from there to Glenwood Springs, so a total of 3.5 - 4.0 hours to Aspen.

YMMV :)

ORDER YOUR LIFT TICKETS/PACKAGES/BANQUET TICKETS TODAY!!!!!!!

Cutoff time is Monday, so please order them ASAP.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in 2 weeks!

Already done :biggthump

Is it ok, to pick them up @ the first day of SES on Buttermilk?

From Gunnison to Salida is a solid hour (65 miles) and depending on conditions going over Monarch pass might be pretty slow. From Salida it takes us usually from 3.5 to 4.5 hours to get to Aspen. Rather than going through Copper though, go via Minturn -- it's faster and you avoid Vail Pass.

Gunnison to Grand Junction should be about 2 hours (IIRC), another hour from there to Glenwood Springs, so a total of 3.5 - 4.0 hours to Aspen.

YMMV :)

I should've done my homework better. I learned a lesson from this, which is do NOT trust directions provided by Google or Mapquest! (I previously thought they were fairly trustworthy.)

When booking our flights to SES, I found a screaming deal for flights into/out of Gunnison. So I did a quick Google Maps directions search, and it said "73 miles" from Gunnison to Aspen. Cool, I thought—no problem.

Only last night when I zoomed in on that "route" with satellite view did I see it traverses the rooftop of the Rockies on what appear to be dirt roads! :confused:

I'd be curious to find out if what Google says is "THE" way from Gunnison to Aspen is passable in a non-4WD vehicle even in the summer?

Scott

LOL, funny link Tom...which confirms what I discovered eyeballing that Google route up-close. At least I had the sense to do that—I feel sorry for those poor folks who blindly followed Google's (or Mapquest's) directions and ended up stranded on a 12,000-foot pass!

(Looks like an awesome dualsport motorcycle ride in summer though...gotta put that on my list!)

Scott