Note to New Members ×

Password stealers

Bobby Buggs

I'm getting the warm fuzzies!

Here I thought some troglodyte had singled me out because of inflammatory postings (I really have tried to chill, ya'll)

and then I find out the entire BOL universe seems targeted.

Wow!

And all because a few people like to get together and hash it out over the best way to undertake the most obscure, arcane, snow-sliding sport known to (wo)man??

You're right. The perps must really be bored...

Same here. Is there anything that can be found out from the ip address?

If you're asking in the general sense:

You can get a tad of info from googling "ip whois" and entering any IP address you want to find out about from the sites that result from the google search.

oh great I thought I was spared by this but didn't check email for 2 days - same thing happened earlier today :)

getting what must be spam new user registrations at my own weblog over the last couple of weeks ... guess I will turn the whole user registration off and will just allow posting comments without registration since I don't think I would get much more comment spam than user registration spam

Hurray for switching to a strong password a while back!

...but how do we know that everyone who _says_ that someone tried and failed to hijack their account is really themselves? After all, there's a pretty good chance that some users had their accounts compromised, no?

[hum theme from " The Twilight Zone"]

Fin, maybe you should freeze accounts that have had failed login attempts followed by successful logins during the time that the forum was being attacked. Then maybe contact the owners (if the contact e-mail addresses are still legit??? Maybe you have a backup?) to confirm they're really them, if you know what I mean.

(You could ask some simple questions to get them to prove their carving knowledge/forum familiarity. Like "What is Jack Michaud's favorite kind of board?" -- anyone who doesn't answer "asym!" is clearly a spammer.)

Also, don't feel shy about banning the whole IP block that belongs to that ISP -- that should be a bigger hurdle than just banning that specific ISP. Doesn't sound like there are legitimate users on that ISP anyway (?).

Seriously hot pics!

Amazing, a live human spammer that's actually (I would guess) in this country.

Dude, you're wasting your time and losing money. We know the difference between Cail and Cai1, and although your URL is very funny, no one's going to go there. You'd get better return on your time hanging out somewhere with a bunch of suckers, like AOL forums.

:lol: Cail with an I and Dan go easy on him not everyone can afford a script that also gets those links right :)

:ices_ange

anyone seen this adult snowboarding movie that I call "softie on a good day"?

... okay the funny thing is they actually shot :o it on the ride uh I mean going down anyway they filmed it guerilla style in a gondola cabin at the Kitzsteinhorn glacier which is just 2 hours from here ...

:)

I do 99% of my surfing on my work laptop and had to re-image it about one month ago due to the "blue screen of death". I haven't been logged in here since, and did not receive any email about a login failure. I was curious if those who did experience this are logged in all the time?

So ... that was the most excitement we've had all summer.

Interesting... Are you saying that it was all a ploy just to stir the proverbial pot? In the past various characters (such as skizrule) sprung up and did the same thing... It seems pretty easy that if you could make a bot to try to guess peoples passwords you could just have it guess the password "00000000" over and over until it trips the alarm.

hmmm