Note to New Members ×

Protective Gear

rhaskins

This is sort of a reprise of the Gilmour Gear thread from last winter.

I am looking for left hip and left shoulder impact protection. All my falls that resulted in any injury happen at slow speed, and I always land on my left side. I jacked my left shoulder up so bad that I forced the Doc to xray it because it hurt so bad. I also got a huge hematoma on a fall that bulged out 2 inches from my hip. I fell on it 2 days later and shattered the hematoma and it spread throughout my entire posterior. Dark purple with some of that there green color for some contrast. That hurt. I landed on that same spot about 3 more times after that, and ended up with a hematoma into early May. All at slow speed. At high speed I either cartwheel or skip and slide without any injury - so far.

I am really interested in the d3o material, like the Spyder Stealth Top http://www.the-raceplace.com/spy_stealthtop.html That looks good except for the shoulder pads which are not d30. Has anyone used that? I want something to spread out the force of the impact.

The impact shorts that I have looked at from the various manufacturers are bulky. Like the 661 shorts. http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Snow.aspx?id=920542a2-1cbb-49ca-b17b-279b74b3ae14&product=462827e2-f723-4c69-a579-4a0eb699bbf9

I am looking for impact shorts that will only protect my left side, again to spread out the impact force. If I have to purchase impact shorts, I will remove all the padding except for the left side. Anyone know of any shorts that have d3o material or removable pads that don’t have migration problems?

Anyone know where to buy d3o material so that I can have it sewn into a pair of shorts?

Is the Gilmour Gear going to be a reality?

I am going to spend some money on this. I was really playing hurt at the end of last season, and want some protection this year. None of my injuries kept me off the slopes, but they did force me to switch to skis on some days because of the pain from boarding and landing on my hip. On the upside, my helmets did their job as they were supposed to. I completely destroyed one in one memorable high speed crash – a triple cartwheel right under a chair lift with a big audience.

<O:p</O:p

Rick

To be honest. I've only smacked my face on the ice once in over 22 years, and have had only one wrist injury due to a huge drop and one hell of a knee injury due to the same. I've never had a shoulder injury or hip injury from this sport. My advice would be to look into the Red protective gear they have for boardercross.

But this opens a window to the helmet issue that is off limits but I want to get into due the fact that I've been "playing nice" for so long and am sick of it as it so reminds me of the highschool days of kissing ass while skateboarding.

If I really wanted to protect my head or any other part of my body I wouldn't do it on the slopes. Seriously. Snowboarding has to be one of the safest sports in the friggin' world. If you're wearin' a helmet on the snow you deserve to be made fun of. I've been clocked by a local Sheriff at 63 mph coming down a sheet of ice at my po' dunk resort and the worst head injuries I've ever had are... in the top 5...

1 - knee to face on the 3 meter board doing a "watermelon" breaking my nose and putting me in the hospital over night

2 - forehead to handlebar on a quadrunner after impact from a 20 foot drop, knocking me unconcious.

3 - chin to asphalt after hitting a pot-hole while slowly cruising down the driveway of my own home giving me 5 stitches to my chin.

4 - bridge of nose to camera at a girls basketball game after the ball flew over my head and 3 highschool girls crashed into me breaking my nose... again.

5 - Finally a snowboard accident, however, it was in the park doing a 360 stale-fish grab that went sour and I hit chin first on the ice, giving me a nasty scab below my lip, plus a fat lower lip. No hospital, no stiches. Just a few minutes to think about it and then back on the horse.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2M4cirjiwU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2M4cirjiwU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

All in all I find carving to be safer than windsurfing, "fruit-bootin", and even photography... I had my knee wacked by a receiver plowing into me at a highschool football game. All you helmet nazi's should be more concerned about wearing a helmet in every day life than on the slope. I knock my head more getting into my car than on the slope.

Snowboarding has to be one of the safest sports in the friggin' world. If you're wearin' a helmet on the snow you deserve to be made fun of.

Why the hate against helmet-users? :(

You'll want to laugh at people that want to protect the one body part with the most infamous of consequences on injury?

Shooooot. It seems you've missed this thread!

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=19584

If I really wanted to protect my head or any other part of my body I wouldn't do it on the slopes. Seriously. Snowboarding has to be one of the safest sports in the friggin' world. If you're wearin' a helmet on the snow you deserve to be made fun of. I've been clocked by a local Sheriff at 63 mph coming down a sheet of ice at my po' dunk resort and the worst head injuries I've ever had are...

My house has never burned to the ground so I don't need home insurance?

Your single data point is meaningless. Do you now wear a helmet with a faceguard while cruising down your driveway at 5 mph or while going to girls' basketball games?

To get back to the original poster: I ride with the Dainese impact shorts. I like them, though I haven't fully "tested" them yet.

--

Ken

I ride aggressively. My issue is with cat tracks and flat areas and always falling the same way in hard boots at slow speed. At speed, on edge, on a slope, I rarely have a problem. I never have issues in soft boots. I started boarding on Dec. 1 of last year and hard booting in Feb. All my hip and shoulder problems started after Feb. At slow speed I seem to catch an edge on my hard boot setup a lot. I don't know why. And I don't do it a lot, but when it happens . . . it hurts. OTOH, I can tuck and roll very good now, what with all that practice.

Rick

I could also use some shoulder protection. In January I landed hard on my left shoulder, and it still hurts a little bit today when doing certain movements. I also landed on it again in February, which didn't help. In both cases it happened when transitioning from heelside to toeside at high speed. My toeside edge didn't engage or engaged and then let loose, causing me to fly through the air horizontally and slam down on my left shoulder (I ride goofy foot).

To be honest. I've only smacked my face on the ice once in over 22 years, and have had only one wrist injury due to a huge drop and one hell of a knee injury due to the same. I've never had a shoulder injury or hip injury from this sport. My advice would be to look into the Red protective gear they have for boardercross.

But this opens a window to the helmet issue that is off limits but I want to get into due the fact that I've been "playing nice" for so long and am sick of it as it so reminds me of the highschool days of kissing ass while skateboarding.

If I really wanted to protect my head or any other part of my body I wouldn't do it on the slopes. Seriously. Snowboarding has to be one of the safest sports in the friggin' world. If you're wearin' a helmet on the snow you deserve to be made fun of. I've been clocked by a local Sheriff at 63 mph coming down a sheet of ice at my po' dunk resort and the worst head injuries I've ever had are... in the top 5...

1 - knee to face on the 3 meter board doing a "watermelon" breaking my nose and putting me in the hospital over night

2 - forehead to handlebar on a quadrunner after impact from a 20 foot drop, knocking me unconcious.

3 - chin to asphalt after hitting a pot-hole while slowly cruising down the driveway of my own home giving me 5 stitches to my chin.

4 - bridge of nose to camera at a girls basketball game after the ball flew over my head and 3 highschool girls crashed into me breaking my nose... again.

5 - Finally a snowboard accident, however, it was in the park doing a 360 stale-fish grab that went sour and I hit chin first on the ice, giving me a nasty scab below my lip, plus a fat lower lip. No hospital, no stiches. Just a few minutes to think about it and then back on the horse.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2M4cirjiwU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2M4cirjiwU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

All in all I find carving to be safer than windsurfing, "fruit-bootin", and even photography... I had my knee wacked by a receiver plowing into me at a highschool football game. All you helmet nazi's should be more concerned about wearing a helmet in every day life than on the slope. I knock my head more getting into my car than on the slope.

Please at least tell us that your kids wear helmets...

If I really wanted to protect my head or any other part of my body I wouldn't do it on the slopes. Seriously. Snowboarding has to be one of the safest sports in the friggin' world. If you're wearin' a helmet on the snow you deserve to be made fun of.

Cough.

Regardless of your opinions, there are too many argumentative babies on BOL to be making these kinds of posts.

You know that. Remember one of my earlier postings? I hold my tongue.

If I really wanted to protect my head or any other part of my body I wouldn't do it on the slopes. Seriously. Snowboarding has to be one of the safest sports in the friggin' world. If you're wearin' a helmet on the snow you deserve to be made fun of.

I will speak out for the argumentatative babies:

You clearly aren't moving very fast at all.

Not everyone on this forum is going mach-schnell on the hard-stuff riding a stiff 170+cm ride but many are, and they would be MORBIDLY STUPID to not protect themselves. And even if you aren't, you are still pretty dumb to be riding around without a helmet, because there are plenty of out-of-control joeys out there just waiting to straight-line into you at full speed, and regardless of how soft the snow is, when another skull, body, board, ski, pole or boot comes in contact with your skull at any significant speed it WILL **** you up.

I used this Spyder's top last season. Haven't had serious testing (knock on wood!) but from experience can say that seems comfortable (used also Dainese's back protector vest on top of it and managed to completely forget about them during riding). Only issue seems to be that elbow protector pads seem to rotate out of position and couple of landings on hard ice were quite painful.

What I don't like is that it is top model and forces me to wear additional layer on top of it: without this my beer belly shows up between pants and top:eplus2:, full length would be better.

Three days after a one-point landing off my motorcycle, sitting in the waiting room the doctor told me from the door I had a concussion. I guess my fully-dilated eyes gave him his first clue. It took a week of recovery to just get my eyes half working again in bright light. I would not be here entertaining you without the helmet I was wearing then. On two occassions last winter it was just me and 2 skiers on the same slope, me with the "right of way" both times and I got hit both times. Both times it was the two skier's racing each other. The skiers got the worst of it, they were going way faster and both times launched into perfect Superman's to land face and arms first many feet down the slope. Both times they claimed not to have seen me - tunnel vision because they were focused on racing. Both times my helmeted head hit the ground. I like helmets.

But I digress, that is a discussion (helmet) that each person has to decide.

I need shoulder and hip protection, something unobtrusive, easy to wear, as inexpensive as possible. I would like to get some of that d3o material to try either on a shirt or sewen into the liner of my coat. I have viewed the shovel test on the one of the sites, and it looks like the d30 will provide all the protection I want. Some of Spyder's biking shorts with the d3o look good, but probably come with a chamois. Not what I want on the slopes.

I don't plan on ever falling this coming winter, just so that you know.

Rick

:freak3:

I doubt I would be typing this had I not been wearing one last December. As more than a few on this board know, it is more often a matter of when, not if, you will go in to the trees. Experience has taught me that trees are much harder than snow.. Go ahead, laugh at me all you want jackass, I know that by wearing a helmet, I have greatly reduced my chance of becoming nothing more than a brainstem by wearing one, and my head will be nice and warm

Live fast, Die stupid

mario

If I know its a hard hard hard packed day, I wear my crashpads.

Its underarmor I wear for gate racing, but sometimes. its just nice to have a lill extra cooshin around my lanky arse and all the pokey pointy areas on my body.

137400.jpg

they have shorter ones also for like 70, but I like the shins protected !

Would it be easy to remove some of the pads? Without destroying it or the integrity of the remaining pads? I really want something to protect my left hip area.

Rick.

check out the skateboard sites . I wear a pair of padded board shorts under my gear that work great and the pads are removeable. the pad shorts that go under football pants would work well to. you can take either hip pad out as well as the tailbone pad.

the rest of my gear is mtn bike stuff. 661 has a great compression top that has hard plastic shoulder cups over the shoulder pads. they saved my shoulders at least twice. Once from a fall in the deep and steep and once from a straightlining idiot skier.

anyone who doesn't like helmets hasn't tried one on. The comfort level is so much better temperature wise that I wouldn't ride without one for that reason alone.

Why the hate against helmet-users? :(

You'll want to laugh at people that want to protect the one body part with the most infamous of consequences on injury?

Shooooot. It seems you've missed this thread!

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=19584

Sorry, I must appologies for that drunken rambling. After a half of a bottle of rum and an arguement with friend... who is still my friend.. I went bolistic without cause on this forum. I am for safety, but do have a differance in oppinion with some people on this forum and took it out in the wrong place. Circumstance and timing was off and I accept my wrong doing. My original opinion does still stand, but I will apologies to those that were in the wake of a hostile rampage that was not caused by you.