Note to New Members ×

Attn: Oregon Carvers

philfell

So there is some talk about a snowboard program starting the Mt. Hood area for next season. If this happens is there any interest in a recreational race training program. Kind of like a beer league thing, one night a week race training, very casual, focus would be on fun while making turns around plastic.

Would anyone here be interested in something like that?

Totally interested in any racing I can get into - however Hood is 2+ hours away so not sure I would be able to make it every week. I'd certyainly do my btest to make it as often as possible!

Also, depending on interest I would love to have a "just for fun" course (no timing equipment) during OES. I will be talking to Mt Bachelor soon about reserving a run just in case something like this comes to fruition

Well that's a pretty good response considering it's summer and this site dosen't get that much traffic this time of year. Ideally there would be a full comp team like we have here in Park City, but for a while I've wanted to do more of a fun night where people who don't really race, but still would like to come out and run some gate could do so. I'm not sure what the cost would be and how many would need to join to make it happen, but if there is interest it just may come to reality.

Well the stars maybe alinging to put me at Mt Hood for next season. It looks like I may be moving there and starting a program (freestyle, SBX, and alpine) so I'm putting out some feelers to see if there is interest in doing some things I've wanted to do for some time but haven't had the oppertunity to.

Things are still in the very early stages of program developement though. If things work out, it could be very good for all.

Phil -

If only I was near hood...I'd definitely be into it.

I have been trying to get something started here in MA, with little support. JohnDeere is really the only other guy who comes out with me and fleck. On the other hand, It has worked well getting kids who are involved with freestyle programs on the weekends out to train gates for a few hours.

Sweet!! I'm interested, but getting up to race on weeknights on a consistent basis would definitely depend on what kind of car pooling we could get set up. Weekends would be easier.

Sweet!! I'm interested, but getting up to race on weeknights on a consistent basis would definitely depend on what kind of car pooling we could get set up. Weekends would be easier.

Car pooling Yes :biggthump

What ski area would you be doing this at ? Tline, skibowl or MHM ? Will need to know for season pass purchases this next year....

Jim

Hey Phil.

Sounds like a good time thing.

I am interested in that. Never been much for competition. Raced at Mt Hood in 1986/87 ONCE or twice. Didn't like waiting while there was good riding to be had.

Last / next time was at Donner for Legends. Raced against Jacoby. He won:ices_ange

Point? It was about 20 years between my first and third race course.

Although hangin with Tim, Mike, Dan, etc and BEER. Sounds pretty good.

Just need to get past the broken leg thing.

Bryan

Well .... I'm moving to Hood River around September ...

So I am definitely in ....

Went through some gates for the first time today ....

Have no interest in Racing ... but had great fun doing them ... and obviously a great learning experience for me .... and judging by my performance today ...I need all the practice I can get.

I don't drink beer .. so as with my paragliding buddies ...

I presume I will end up being the designated driver for Snow Boarding Race Night ....

AND ... I have a big van ... so great for car pooling from Hood River !!!

Meadows would be preferable for me .. (Closer to Hood River)... but will go where ever you decide to have it.

On another note .... I am having a blast riding with John and Galen at Timberline (Mnt Hood) ... while on our three day course with Snow Performance .... Sean, Mike and the other Gavin are great ... but more about that in a later post. (Today was my 18th day on the snow this trip ... and plan to hit a total of 27 Snow Boarding Days by the time I head back South on the 5th July)

And on another note ... Bryan .... After watching Mike Jacoby ride the past two days .... I can see why he beat you ....even though I have never seen you ride !!!!

:o)

Gavin

Cool it sounds like there is enough interest to make it work. I will add it to my list of things to try to organize for next season.

Location will probably be at Meadows, since they have a pretty good night training setup.

Next is what night works best. Weekends are out since I will be traveling often for other race events. Let me know if you guys have a preferance for which night.

Any night will be fine for me ....

So I'm sure I can just fit in with what ever the majority decide !!!

Glad to hear it will be at Meadows !!!

Just one thing .... if you are going to be using those tall gates that we have to wear body armor for ... I have little interest in doing that ... as I have no interest in doing any racing ... but if you are going to be using those short "stubby things" ... I am all for doing those ...

I have just been having fun and learning a lot with those short "stubby things" .... and have been watching the USA SKI teams and summer campers etc bashing their way through the tall gates and that just does not seem like any fun to me.

BTW. Timberline was FREEZING COLD this morning !!!!

Gavin

• 3 months later...

I came really close to setting this up in Oregon, but a great oppertunity unfolded for me in Colorado.

Tim Windell is still planning on organizing a team in the area. Not sure if he is still going to include alpine or not. You should contact him through his camp if you guys still have interest.