Note to New Members ×

The Annual Summer Beer Thread

utahcarver

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO!! That's even funnier than Skullsplitter! I'll have to try some.

Double IPA, eh? Makes me think of Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. <b>20%</b> ABV. That's right. And it's delicious. You'd never guess it was 20%, but it is. And if that doesn't limit you to just one in an evening, the $6.75 price tag for one 12oz bottle will.

I'm a huge fan of both Stone and Dogfish beers... Probably my two favorite American breweries. I like everything Stone makes (especially the oak aged Arrogant Bastard), and everything Dogfish makes...

...except the 120 minute IPA. I've only tried it once, and I plan on giving it another shot, but I felt like it was really unbalanced. I tried it out of a couple different glasses, and just didn't get what the big deal was. I found it overly sweet, so much so that the hoppiness was almost completely missing. The sweetness probably comes from having to add sugar to get the alcohol content so high, since there's not enough in the grain. The alcohol content wasn't obvious, but that may be the only good thing I can say about it. Hate to say it, but I was really disappointed by that one.

If you want to try some really high alcohol beers that are a bit better, try a couple from Avery. They've got 3 beers in the 15% range that I know of. Mephistopheles is a monster stout that changes drastically in flavor with even small temperature variations. Pour it cold and drink it slowly as it warms up for the full experience. Samael is amazing as well. It's oak aged, and doesn't really taste like what I expect of beer. If you can imagine, it tastes more like a carbonated mead made of caramelized honey. I'd serve it as a dessert beer with creme brulee. The third of their monster beers is The Beast, a belgian style. I didn't care for it at all, I found it unbalanced like the 120 minute. At $7 for a 12 ounce bottle, I don't drink those much, but it's a treat when I do.

Heh, I have the 120 on my dessert list at work.

Anyone tried the Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu? Holy sh*t, it's sexy as hell. Talk about a sultry, exotic, come hither beer.

Dude. Step a-WAY from the beer!

But I agree, 120 minute IPA is crazy-hoppy.

Hey jack and geoff and the other new englanders.

If you want to come up to bradford, nh for the fourth of july celebration I'll just have time to brew up a batch of my five malt (from grain) + honey scottish imperial ale. Dangerous stuff at 13.5 to 15 %. i have to finish it with yeast booster or champagne yeast. Goes down smooth like a robust porter but with the hop bite of the late and much lamented international prize winning Lucknow IPA. I also brew an Ipa much like the Lucknow but it is a bit strong at 9%.

Now with this kind of alcohol you guys have to bring your tents and turn in your keys to join the partai. We sorta (it is not legal) live in the 40 ft bus conversion next to the house, which has five bedrooms (empty no beds or furniture) and we are in the center of town in a box canyon. (Any body want to get together and buy a nice multi family ski/snowboard house?) The big white fireworks bangers have 7 to 9 echoes here. and the whole show can be watched from lawn chairs in the yard.

So if you locals or any travelers want to contact me PM we can have a partai. I will brew for it but due to NH laws not give you any .....you will have to go through the barn basement and break into the wine cellar and "steal" it. OK

GWS

Ps geoff will be in east douglas sat for my dad's funeral. if you would like to meet afterward we can. 603 938 5282 cell 603 748 9602

Now yer talkin'......:biggthump

Saw the Heinie mini keg fridge at BBB with mrs WW last night.Not my flavour, but a cool idea. Put it next to the Krueger coffee machine.

I guess they're catching on in Europe and many other beers make mini kegs that fit. Only 4 and 5 liter kegs but stays fresh for 30 days:rolleyes:(ok ? sure)after the first pour.

Philips makes one also

http://www.perfectdraft.com/home.htm

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060919/pull-the-perfect-pint-at-home-with-the-hd3600/#comments

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/search/heineken

http://www.beertender.com/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5izGcFdIAIs&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5izGcFdIAIs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJ_Is8TnNQ&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJ_Is8TnNQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njzy3oOXsqc&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njzy3oOXsqc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

still, think I'd rather

HOMEBREW KEG SYSTEM:

(4) 5 gallon kegs, full 80 lb Co2 tank, dispension system w/both gauges.

$200

Being a proud Pittsburgh expatriate. I have to recommend the Church Brewery out at the end of the Strip District.Its right up the hill from the original Pittsburgh Brewery (Iron City).Sadly Iron City has fallen on hard times and is $2,000,000. dollars in hock to the city for water!!! (It tastes so bad that everyone thought they used river water out of the Allegheny .) I remember many a case of 16 ouncers on weekends. Tubby's over in Mt.Oliver would sell us cases because no one else would buy Iron City...Our 60 Chevy Impala would hold at least 4 cases in the deep trunk....

is now He'brew Messiah Bold (has that hoppy British bitter taste). It's so sad that now there are all kinds of Brit beers available, the shrinking dollar is putting them out of reach again. Though if money is no object, then it's Theakston's Old Peculiar.

BobD

post-340-141842258354_thumb.jpg

post-340-141842258355_thumb.gif

Not quite beer, but they're now making a 100 proof version of 1800 silver tequila. I want to stress how bad an idea this is. Common sense should have told me before I bought it that tequila was strong enough, and stronger tequila isn't necessary. Instead, I wake up in the morning, still a bit tipsy, with an epic headache.

Stuff tastes great though.

First I gotta say, if you can,t get at least 15 cases in the trunk of a 60 Impala your not tryin' very hard.

I usually keep Peebers, Icehouse or Kokanee for the cheap mainstaple. When I'm feelin wealthy (rare these days) I go for any flavor, depending on my mood, by New Belgium, Rouge, and especially Kona. I'm suprised noone mentioned Kona yet, every flavor is top notch. Thier barley wine is a great dessert beer, but you'll have to go to Hawai'i to try it. Oh darn.

Luv to sample the local micros wherever I go. I like a berry brew if its subtle & not too sweet, Huckleberry Lager by Whitefish brewing is one, Blackberry Wheat by Henry's was great & cheap, but haven't seen it for a couple yrs.

I also like experimenting with black & tan. Some blends work, some don't.

Sandpoint local brewery is Laughing Dog. They make a huckleberry but it's way too sweet, however, mixed with New Belgium 5150, a not too sweet black ale, It makes a refreshing "black & blue" that'll convert most fruit haters.

Available on tap exclusively at Pucci's Pub, Schwietzer Mt. Idaho only during Mt. bike season or untill the supply of huckleberry runs out:biggthump

tell'em Troy sent you, mug #46.

I like to eat organic when I can, but for a long time couldn't find a tasty organic beer. Now there's one made in my own back yard: Green Lakes Ale by Deschutes Brewery. It's kinda amberish palish, smooth, goes down easy during summer especially for something that's not see-through. It's tasty, the fact that it's organic is purely bonus.

I definitely prefer something with a little more body and oopmh when it gets colder though.

Not quite beer, but they're now making a 100 proof version of 1800 silver tequila. I want to stress how bad an idea this is. Common sense should have told me before I bought it that tequila was strong enough, and stronger tequila isn't necessary. Instead, I wake up in the morning, still a bit tipsy, with an epic headache.

Stuff tastes great though.

Try Patron, Cabo Wabo, Chamucos (if you can find it), Don Julio, and you'll realize 1800 is piss.

Try Patron, Cabo Wabo, Chamucos (if you can find it), Don Julio, and you'll realize 1800 is piss.

Most likely, the best post of this entire thread. And it has little or nothing to do with beer. Margarita's and beer are traditional summertime drinks. The $50-plus tag for the Wabo is money well spent and probably the best business decision Sammy Hagar ever made except for jettisoning Edward Van Halen out of his life. What a sad story there is there.

When Hagar made Waborita's on Emeril Live several years ago I knew I had finally found a mixer that I could drink.

Don Julio/Patron are topshelf, too.

Mas Tequila!!!!

Mark

+1 for the Kona Lava Rock PAle Ale, it's also one of my fav t shirts. ( HAd the sweatshirt too but it got swiped, disappeared)Crazy T's factory outlet in Oahu has the goods.

Did ya know that Mike Anthony has a hot sauce ?

WAbo Tequila Bloody Mary's ?? :rolleyes::nono:

http://www.gourmetmikes.com/madanhotsavh.html

The $50-plus tag for the Wabo is money well spent

Indeed. There is a fifth in my cabinet right now. Truly top shelf. Plus I consider each purchase as a personal thank-you to Sammy for 5150 which I wore out when I was 12. NH liquor stores usually have the Reposado for $50, and recently it was on sale for $45. (I actually prefer Cabo Wabo Reposado over the Anejo) Really quite reasonable if you consider the fact that you get about 4 or 5 times as many drinks out of a bottle of liquor as a bottle of wine. And who thinks twice about buying a $12 bottle of wine?

Heh, this is interesting... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_halen

Tried all those, and I agree that they're much better. However, the 1800 is the only 100 proof tequila on the market. Since I'm back in college, $50 bottles are a luxury I can't often afford. I haven't had any 100% agave tequilas I'd call piss, but maybe my standards have dropped with my budget. :D

If you're a tequila fan, check out the tequila list at the restaurant where I used to cook. Not a bad selection.

Tried all those, and I agree that they're much better. However, the 1800 is the only 100 proof tequila on the market. Since I'm back in college, $50 bottles are a luxury I can't often afford. I haven't had any 100% agave tequilas I'd call piss, but maybe my standards have dropped with my budget. :D

Why would you want 100 proof tequila anyway? Certainly wouldn't be any better for sipping.

Pretty much any 100% agave tequila tastes good in a margarita. Sipping is a different story.

But yeah, sipping tequila probably isn't (or shouldn't be) on the radar map for a college student. I was totally ignorant of tequila in college. And $12 was a lot to spend on wine, and only for a hot date!

But if you have to have 100% agave tequila, you have to have it. So on a budget, look for Cuervo Tradicional (reposado, $22 for a fifth in some places), or Milagro Anejo, at $40, the best value in Anejo.

If you're a tequila fan, check out the tequila list at the restaurant where I used to cook. Not a bad selection.

Impressive. I've never seen Chamucos on a menu. Now THAT is the gold standard.

Yeah, sipping tequila is a rare luxury these days, but any of the cheap blended stuff tends to give me a headache very quickly. I usually prefer Sauza Hornitos to Cuervo Tradicional. The 100 proof stuff just goes farther when you're mixing it... unless the person mixing the drinks doesn't adjust accordingly, then it's a recipe for a brutal hangover. :lol:

I do like the Chamucos, though. Actually just had it for the first time in April. Wish I could afford to keep it around. The only time I spend the extra on something worth sipping these days is for ski trips and camping trips.