Note to New Members ×

Snowboard Back packs

Bobby Buggs

Through my Evil Sports company we are about to produce a multi sport Backpack. It will have the ability to hold 1 board and have a hydration pack built in. Is this something you might consider buying??

build in a goggle/sunglass pocket with a scratchproof liner (whatever they make goggle bags or sunglass cleaning cloths with) and I'll buy one.

Here's my wish list:

Snowboard - Vertical and Horizontal Carry (both options on same pack)

Skis - A-Frame and Diagonal Carry

Straps for ski carry and ice axe should tuck inside when not in use so they don't snag on a chairlift.

Should be able to access the internal section(s) while board/skis are attached.

Section to hold Shovel, handle, probe (probably the section further from your body.

Section for other stuff, including a sleeve close to your body for skins - but make the skin sleeve either waterproof, or have its own drain to outside the pack.

Sternum strap with whistle clip

Padded waist strap with pockets for camera, tool

Padded, breathable back panel

Light color inside so you can see your stuff

Zippered, insulated shoulder sleeve for hydration tube

Compression straps

Avalung would be cool, but probably add a lot of $$ and not a ton of demand.

Bad-a$$ Evil Sports Logo

Optional "Evil Sports Hardboot Team" logo/lettering! :eplus2:

somewhere in the 20-30L size range (maybe a couple of size options)

The Mountainsmith Off-Piste 20 comes pretty close.

RIRDONSI.jpg

• Not a lot of extra straps on the outside to get caught on the chairlift (or straps go inside).
  • good hip belt that is padded, but doesn't get in the way of range of motion for riding.
  • Built in beadless whistle on the sternum strap clip (I think some REI backpacks have this)
  • Waterproof so the jacket inside stays dry.
  • Discount for people on BOL.:D

I don't do backcountry riding, so I only want enough space to hold a jacket or 2 and my lunch. Maybe you could have a backcountry and a resort-sized pack.I think tex was talking about microfiber (or just fleece) lining for the goggle/tech pocket.

I don't do backcountry riding, so I only want enough space to hold a jacket or 2 and my lunch. Maybe you could have a backcountry and a resort-sized pack.I think tex was talking about microfiber (or just fleece) lining for the goggle/tech pocket.

Same here. Maybe have to make 2 models, one for the hardcore expiditer, and another for the resort cruiser who doesn't want to go in. My 2 cents... Big buckles and/or fasteners so you can put it on and off without removing your gloves. Maybe a crush-proof pocket to store small breakable items like sunglasses, i-pods, or for the terminally un-healthy, a pack of smokes.

I have the Mountain Smith Off-Piste 20 and its nice but it has too many straps, the outer pocket is useless for me it has holes/openings so nothing small can go in it, it's also a little large. That's the bad now the good, it has a two different board carry systems for a board, I use mine year round. It has a separate sleeve for water bladder and a very good routing for the hose. MP3 player pocket in the top of bag works very well for helmets. There is an odd padded pocket in the main compartment that I stow my camera lens down and in easy reach without removing the bag. I've had a number of boarding bags and this one is the best so far but it still needs some work

the outer pocket is useless for me it has holes/openings so nothing small can go in it, it's also a little large.

Those holes allow melted snow to drain out and not make a big puddle in there. Great for skins/shovels/probes, etc.

it has a two different board carry systems for a board, I use mine year round. It has a separate sleeve for water bladder and a very good routing for the hose. ...There is an odd padded pocket in the main compartment that I stow my camera lens down and in easy reach without removing the bag.

Plus you can fold down the pack panel for a seat! That big padded pocket fits a Nalgene bottle really well. In Buggs' case it would hold two softballs pretty well ;-).

you might want to think about a backpack that can carry ski boots on the sides outside. One particular backpack -- I want so badly. Cant think of it in the moment, but will post it when it gets to my head. I mean, think about it -- we are hardbooters, are we not ?

Those holes allow melted snow to drain out and not make a big puddle in there. Great for skins/shovels/probes, etc.

Oh I know but I don't carry any of that stuff, for what I use the bag for it's useless,

Plus you can fold down the pack panel for a seat! That big padded pocket fits a Nalgene bottle really well. In Buggs' case it would hold two softballs pretty well ;-).

yes it does hold a Naglene bottle well but then since it has a bladder sleeve thats kinda unneeded...padded as it is just about anything fragile can be stored in it

you might want to think about a backpack that can carry ski boots on the sides outside. One particular backpack -- I want so badly. Cant think of it in the moment, but will post it when it gets to my head. I mean, think about it -- we are hardbooters, are we not ?

http://www.google.com/search?q=spyder+govy ?

I have one and it rocks. Very much. Has extra compartments for tools, wax, snax, etc, and all of the compartments are easy to reach. I did revise the way the boots get strapped in though, the little plastic clips were too tedious, especially with cold hands. I'm using some lightweight carabiners now. Big fastex buckles would be even better.

If the up-and-coming Evil Sports backpack carries boots, I'm interested. The Govy is out of stock everywhere last I checked. I thought it was out of production (replaced with a boot-less version) but it's on Spyder's site again.

The other feature I'd like to see in a pack is a water bladder that doesn't put a hard piece of plastic (the filler cap, usually) up against my spine. No bladder at all is fine too though.

(And if Evil Sports is branching out, how about some gloves with GoreTex and a super-tough outer layer? I killed another pair this year.)

Bingo -- that's the one, Spyder Govy (Im pretty sure it refers to the scene of ski racers kids walking around at T-Line off of Govy (Government Camp, Oregon) with 'em boots dangling on sides of their backpack.

IIRC, one of hte parents at Boulder thought of this idea for Spyder.

Natew: how much did you get it for? I see -some- site got 'em. but not a whole lot of 'em do. you're right, alot of people want those backpacks. I can see a a great usage of those had I had 'em for work.