Note to New Members ×

Big Boy Board

*Ace*

I carved on a doughboy before I knew what carving was ;)

Does your friend ride already? If he's a total newbie, Try to find an Axxess or 4WD - should be wide enough, and at his weight very forgiving rides.

if he's already a decent rider, and can handle high angles, think about (if you can find one) a rossi 184 WC - plenty stiff for a big guy. also what previous guys said - if you can find a big guy custom, go for it.

Big Boy Club:cool:

We should weigh in here, us BIG guys.

Big Canuck , BobDea,Dano,

BigMario and Tex is a big dude.

I personally think that all the extra ballast works great for bending a stiffy race sled. If ya know HOW to pounce on and flex the snot out of a board, the extra speed and amplitude takes a back seat to the sheer power in the turn.

Peter Thorndike is biggest WC guy I've seen in person slay turns on a "Race" board. Pete's gotta be at least 220 with gear on.

tell your buddy he's gonna need a custom Coiler EX beefed up for his 275.

start saving now....or maybe just get an old Burton UP 173 and wing it:nono:

Wow. That's a giant. Either K2 Fatbob (if they still make 'em) or Lib Tech Doughboy. :)

tho those two aren't exactly "carve boards."

the dough boy is replaced with the skunk ape which has magnetraction and is more width appropriate with wider waist than the doughboy which is enough to make me return to Lib tech after falling in love with the tanker wides.

I carved on a doughboy before I knew what carving was ;)

Does your friend ride already? If he's a total newbie, Try to find an Axxess or 4WD - should be wide enough, and at his weight very forgiving rides.

if he's already a decent rider, and can handle high angles, think about (if you can find one) a rossi 184 WC - plenty stiff for a big guy. also what previous guys said - if you can find a big guy custom, go for it.

I can't suggest the rossi 184, I have folded them more than once. I've heard this is NOT a issue with the 190 though.

older priors and f2s in the longest sizes are good for me and don't run a danger of folding when you crank a turn in soft snow.

I can't suggest the rossi 184, I have folded them more than once. I've heard this is NOT a issue with the 190 though.

older priors and f2s in the longest sizes are good for me and don't run a danger of folding when you crank a turn in soft snow.

Really? rode it for a year and never folded it...

I only sold it 'cause 15m sidecut and Vermont weekends do not go together well!

Edit: Skunk ape/doughboy 190 has a 10m scr - I think that's ridiculously tight for a big board...and the one problem I had with Lib (maybe corrected now) was delam at the center because the inserts weren't reinforced and couldn't handle the pressure of the plate bindings.

jack's right tho -- they're not exactly carve board but is doable.

yah, i know skunk ape and doughboy do use the same templates on those compressor -- tho the magne-traction's a nice addition.

ill just stick to my old school boards (remember imperial bolts size? 1/4 20. :) )

as for the rossi 184, i hear they do fold easily, too.

also, the delam -- that's old issue from early 90s. no longer the case since mid 90s.

Really? rode it for a year and never folded it...

I only sold it 'cause 15m sidecut and Vermont weekends do not go together well!

Edit: Skunk ape/doughboy 190 has a 10m scr - I think that's ridiculously tight for a big board...and the one problem I had with Lib (maybe corrected now) was delam at the center because the inserts weren't reinforced and couldn't handle the pressure of the plate bindings.

10 meter on a softboot ride feels twelvish to a hardbooter if you actually ride softboots on it....

yes, the rossi flung me more than once and I have heard other people say the same thing. look in the picture gallery on this site and you'll see one post failure with the poor racer flying upside down.

I love my 185. I only weigh 150 and I'm 5'10 (if I stand up extra straight)and stuff my street size nines into mondo 25 Raichles.That said It holds on to heel edge carves better than any board I've ridden and I have the stance set back an extra 2cm. It loves to be tipped and driven into tight carves on steep(a couple of 30-35 degree slopes at Silver)runs and so is more versatile than one might think.It will also go at least as fast I am willing.A rider bigger than I am would probably find it easier to handle but I like having to stay awake to ride it.Overall it is not quite as versatile as my Coiler 182 Am but is enough fun to be worth what I paid for it unused and in the wrapper;which is the same as opening bid on the board you're looking at.

He is a good 275lb, 6'4" I think. Big feet.

Any suggestions?

If you're talking about the fellow we rode with at Stratton, I'd be amazed to find out he weighs any less than 310lb. That dude is Gignormous! (And not gignormous like Bobdea's avitar either.)

Well, like I said, he is a new carver.

Right now he is on a Liquid 171 freeride board.

Size 13 boot BTW, so the wider the better.

I don't think he is going to be extremecarving anything soon, but I just wanted to get him on something that can carve.

Custom is the way to go, with most things. I don't see him spending $600+ on a board anytime soon, so, I am keeping my eyes for something.

I was tempted to pull the trigger on that Oxygen board, but its too narrow...

And yes Mark, it is for the big guy we rode with at Stratton...

Would some type of stiff, long freeride board work? There are probably some around that could handle the weight, plates, width and still be a good carving board. Would a 170 A-frame be good enough? REI had them on sale for $319. Probably too short for him though. Doh! just saw that he is already on a freeride board. Probably be pretty hard to find a "stock" board that could handle the weight/size.

I have had a ball carving on my Frontier 185. not that they are available anymore since I been looking for three years to replace this board.

Looks like the tanker 192 is my next board. I chose the tanker cause I like the more forward stance and it was one of the narrower boards in the tanker line. I think it is 22 or 23 waist - not sure. I know they make them wider too.

I am back down to 250 after being more than that :angryfire this winter.

28.5 to 29 mondo. FWIW.

Well I run 225 Lbs in skivies and my

Arbor Woodie finally started to loose its pop this winter.

It's a 166 regular width and until this winter even with four full time seasons it carved as well even on blue ice let alone courderoy as the Burton FP with hard boots it replaced as my teach board.

If he doesn't like fairly high angles then find a woodie wide. However it will not be as fast edge to edge.

Arbor woodies are famous in many circles for their carving ability. With my SIS boots and bindings the winter I was without a hard boot board while teaching full time I wore out two sets of DaBone gloves from laying way over carves so the board can really do it.

Not really a forgiving beginner board but he can grow into it.

GWS:biggthump