Note to New Members ×

Deeluxe 325T or 700T?

PointBreak

I’m new to Bomber and to carving. I’ve been (attempting) carving and Nastar racing in soft boots on a Palmer 162 Honeycomb this year and I’ve decided to invest in “real” equipment for next season. I’m considering a metal Coiler (RC ~170) but that’s another topic.

<O:p></O:p>

I’m looking for boots that are forgiving enough for learning but that also work for recreational racing. I am planning to get a BTS kit with yellow springs. I’m 6’ 175 lbs size 26 with average width feet.

The folks at Bomber told me that the 325T (marketed as firm) and the 700T (marketed as stiff) actually have about same overall stiffness but that they just flex “differently”. They also suggested that with the BTS kit shell flex was less important. I’m looking for a good reason to pick one boot over the other. One idea is to get both types, bring them to my boot fitter (Stan and Dan’s in N Conway NH)<ST1:p and let them decide will work best.

Any advise or opinions would be appreciated…

I’m looking for a good reason to pick one boot over the other. One idea is to get both types, bring them to my boot fitter (Stan and Dan’s in N Conway NH)<ST1:p and let them decide will work best.

Any advise or opinions would be appreciated…

If it were me, since you are a good candidate for either boot, color would make a difference in which one I chose!:biggthump

I have been riding a pair of 700's all season and love them. I would recommend getting a variety of the springs and try them out. I have ridden both the blue/blue then progressed to blue/red and now red/red. I am 175lbs. As far as flex and forward lean the BTS allows adjustment for both. The 700's have been good from the start but do need a footbed to get them dialed in. I would say that I have average feet also.

You would love any board you get from Coiler!!

We have a pair of the 225s and the 700s. I do not know about the effect the plastics have on the stiffness of each boot, but with the BTS, they each pivot at the cant adjuster anyway so the plastic is less relevant.

What I found is that the shape of the tongue on the 225s (I assume it is the same as the 325s) affects the stiffness dramatically with the BTS when compared to the 700s with BTS.

The 225's tongue wraps much further at the ankle. When the tongue is in the boot and the boot is flexed forward, the 'wings' on the tongue at the ankle press against the boot cuff and create a much stiffer boot. The 700s do not have this and flexes forward much more freely with the BTS.

The 225s are Rebecca's boots and I ended up cutting the 'wings' off the tongues to give her a more flexible boot for her lighter weight. She was already on the yellow springs. She is very happy with the modification.

As has been said by others already, the boot molds are different and the boot that fits your foot the best is the one you will likely want to ride in.

post-2671-141842254368_thumb.jpg

I've got a question. I've been to the Deeluxe site and they've got 3 models of hard boots. The 700 has the heat moldable liner, but as far as the others go, which is the best for a going on 22 year vet of softies to pick up for his first pair stiffies. I looked at the UPZ's but I want a really forgiving boot that has a some flex to it so if I feel the urge to bust out a Damian Sanders style cross rocket grab I've got that in my arsenal.

Thanks to all of you for the great input. <O:p</O:p

<O:p

Trying both boots seems to be the best option, but based what I’m reading here, the 700T’s seems to be the favorite…hope I can make them work for me too. I did talk to Stephanie at the Starting Gate in VT. Unfortunately they did not get any Deeluxe boots this year but they do have AS700s in my size.<O:p</O:p

Buell,<O:p</O:p

The tongue photo is very helpful. If I end up in the 325T I’ll probably amputate the wings as you suggest to smooth out the forward flex. <O:p</O:p

I already love this message board!<O:p</O:p

My test results only apply to using the BTS system. I did not test the boots with the locking lean adjusters. Also, my test are by hand flexing since I am testing 25 mondo 700s and 22 mondo 225s.

One important thing to remember, if testing the boots for stiffness by hand, make sure you push the tongue forward as well as the back of the boot. In my first test, I was only pushing the back of the boot and got much different results once I made sure the tongue was coming along.

Pointbreak, if you go with the 325s and choose to soften them up using my method of trimming the outsides of the tongues, I would only remove a little plastic at a time. You can always take more later. The difference in before and after flex for Rebecca is significant.

As stated before if you like a hardboot with a soft forward flex take the 700T. No question about that. The only downside of this boot is that the liners are a bit thinny for my taste. So I changed the topbuckles which you can do standard (there are made extra holes for it). And I wear shintronics to fill up the gap between my liners and my shins. These shintronics also works good when you have shinbang or want more control!

I don't no anything about the new 325's. I had the older, former red ones. I didn't like the fit (they aren't asymmetric like the 700) and they were too stiff for my taste. But that was earlier. They now use other materials for the boots.