Note to New Members ×

Terminology - What the heck is a skiboard?

carvedog

Stolen from Jack on another thread.

ski blades, skiboards, snoblades, fruit boots... whateva.

So it finally quit snowing enough for me to get a few days in on my Burners last week. You would have thought that most of these people haven't seen a carving board before. Granted the split tail throws people a bit, but this was ridiculous. I must have heard ten times or more in the lift line "look at that ski board". At least a half dozen accused me of being a mono skier. :angryfire

So where does this term "ski board" come from. I have never heard of any of the even the most lame commentators on TV etc call a snowboard of any kind a ski board.

Where does this come from? Why do they do it? Oh the agony of it all.

Stolen from Jack on another thread.

So it finally quit snowing enough for me to get a few days in on my Burners last week. You would have thought that most of these people haven't seen a carving board before. Granted the split tail throws people a bit, but this was ridiculous. I must have heard ten times or more in the lift line "look at that ski board". At least a half dozen accused me of being a mono skier. :angryfire

So where does this term "ski board" come from. I have never heard of any of the even the most lame commentators on TV etc call a snowboard of any kind a ski board.

Ski Blades... Snowblades...Skiboards..

Fin used to make a skiboard bindings even......

http://skiboards.com/videoclips.html

anyone ever see the infomercial for SLED DOGS made by greg stump ?

Yellow Snow: The Ride From Black to White

I hope that crap helped finance his pad in Whistler

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1996_April_24/ai_18216962

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-18409540.html

action cinematography by noted extreme sports director Greg Stump

You get this too, huh.

Two weeks ago I had some trend-setter (complete with fully camo outfit - including helmet) ask me, in a very disparaging way, why I ride a "skiboard".

My crafty reply is unsuitable for posting in a family oriented forum.

I'm usually a pretty tolerant person but the gloves come off at the hill.:boxing_sm

With all of that said (and to prove I'm not a complete prick); I did have a very nice lady on skis ask me the same thing in an earnestly interested way and I explained to her that it was an alpine snowboard and we engaged in decent 15 min. conversation about it.

Attitudes make all the difference.

Here are some links on what they are. I sort of look at them the same way until I started to find out that very much like hardboot snowboarder, they are a very small group, fairly close knits, with small production products, not unlike hardboot snowboards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skiboarding

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/html/sport.htm

How they feel when you call them snowblades:

http://www.sbol.ws/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1218

Bomber Elite Snowboard bindings (note: same reputation there as here for Bomber bindings, and the majority of people there don't snowboard):

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=bomber_elite&Category_Code=bindings

As a side note, I bought them planning on using them for snowkiting in the near future, as they are wide and non cumbersome and definitely carvable.

Aside from my above comments...

Mrs Tex rocks the skiboards and loves them. She had some major knee problems and surgeries and thought she would never ski again. She got on salomon snowblades, then Line skiboards, and now on Atomic Big easy's (98cm I think) and really enjoys them. I have tried the Salomons but I overpowered the bindings a few times and got speed wobbles...fun and useful for tooling around, but they are just not good for higher speeds

Actually, back in the '70s, Tom Sims referred to his boards as ski boards in a couple publications and Bob Weber initially called his patented version of the snowboard a mono-ski.

I use a pair of Head liners, 93cm long, 93mm wide & built for carving. If you can carve skis you, can carve these. when I got them they had cheesy tyrolia's on them that only went up to DIN 7. I was maching down a blue run laying hip dragging carves got to a shady/icy spot & they both popped off & left me cussin & slidin on my a$$ at 20+ mph. Went home, took the craprolias off, threw them away & mounted an old pair of solomon demos Din12 & haven't had a problem since. they hold a sweet carve if I stay centered, and are great for practicing switchcarves:biggthump

definately a challenge in soft snow:eek:

bigfeet, ski with toes were funny

Ski Blades... Snowblades...Skiboards..

Fin used to make a skiboard bindings even......

or just plain "Blades" is the only terminology I've heard used in reference to these sliding tools until this clarification.

I just wish the term "skiboard" was never created...or would just go away. Like Jerry said above, I have heard it used Ad nauseam in reference to the burners :barf:

I think I feel a new and improved explanation coming on here:

"Actually, this IS a prototype SKIBOARD (cause we know skeez rule & snowboarders are knuckldraggers;)). These actually ARE skiis laminated into a special mono-type ski/skiboard hybrid with the gap purposely left in the tail section to improve top-end speed performance. See, eliminating that material in the tail allows for a lighter ride and lower drag coefficient...so definitely FASTER. MAJOR float in the pow...excellent in tight trees...and of course nailing that 540 in the park...I'm just testing on groomers today."

Seems reasonable enough

Like rollerblading on snow. Lots of fun, and a good change of pace when you are snowboarding in hard boots. Demoed "BIG FOOT's" in the Summer of 1991 while training at Hood, and went home with a pair.

Bought two pair of short Dynastar skiboards for my kids when they were too young to board, just to keep them off traditional skis.

The Mike Nick's by Line were the best. Have two pair of them for me to ride, along with an old Rossi mono ski and a "World Board".

Skiboards are great in the park, and for teaching "old snowboarders" in hard boots to do 180's and jump, before putting them back on their snowboard.

Never buy longer than 98cm. If you are a "cross over" skier that got into snowboard hardbooting, they are a lot like Cliff

Taylor's GLM ski method from the 1960's for teaching newbies how to carve on skis - direct parallel.

Can you tell I'm a fan? Buy them cheap on ebay. If you want new ones go to getboards dot com (they also have an "outlet store" on ebay.

Anyone into "freeboarding" or "streetboarding" (old "snakeboarding") when there is no snow? Have fun. - "ghost"