Note to New Members ×

Where do I get'em and what size?

photodad2001

So I'm thinking about getting the hard boots and bindings. (and they all rejoice) Now there isn't a shop within 8 hours drive that carries hard boots for snowboarding around where I live. Sorry, typo, I meant 18 hours drive. Now I'm looking at ordering on-line or getting them here on BOL. Problem though. I am very against ordering footwear that I can't try on before buying. In various brands I wear anything from a US 10 to a US 12. I have a pair of Airwalk 10 and halfs, a pair of Burton 11s, K2 12s, and Vans 11 and a halfs. All fit very well... though different sizes. How do I get some boots that fit?

Buy cheap used to try. If no luck, sell for the same price. Repeat. Once you figured out the right ones, go for a new or good lightly used pair...

And do not worry too much about street shoe sizes that many soft boots use. Measure your foot for mondo point. There's couple of very detailed articles about sizing the boots on BOL.

From what majority of people here say, here's few rules of thumb:

Burtons - narrow fit

Raichle SB / Deluxe Lemans / Track 225/325 series - somewhat narrow fit, especially forward

Raichle AF / Deluxe Suzuka / Indy / Track 700 series - a tad wider

Head / Blax - even wider

UPZ / UPS - wide toe, narrow heel area

Go at least 1/2 size smaller then your measured mondo poin, especially on Raichle/Deluxe.

By using thermo liners, you'll be able to enhance the fit.

Bomber has a time-proven method of getting you in the right boot. Usually it works on the first try, and if not they will work with you.

More info here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/

Buy used and you're on your own.

I'll second what Jack is saying there. Forget about relying on your standard US foot size, measure your mondopoint as dicated by bomber and order based on that. I was totally freaked out about spending ~$500 on a pair of boots without first trying them on, but using the method outlined by bomber it all worked out really well. If you end up going with the Head Stratos Pro to cover for your wider feet, I'd also get a heat-moldable liner (like the deeluxe speed liner) as some people (like me) found it hard to get a proper fit with the standard Head Stratos Pro liner.

Otherwise: don't size up to compensate for wide feet. Have a bootfitter punch out your boots to fit your wider feet if need be but you don't want to be swimming around in boots that are too big.

Good luck!

Just for reference I was measured at 27.5. I got mp26 raichle 123 boot shells with mp27 raichle thermoflex liner. I guess I got lucky cause those fit like a m. effin glove. Second in comfort only to my Cabela's hiking boots which I've been breaking in for 5 years or so.

I'll second what Jack is saying there. Forget about relying on your standard US foot size, measure your mondopoint as dicated by bomber and order based on that. I was totally freaked out about spending ~$500 on a pair of boots without first trying them on, but using the method outlined by bomber it all worked out really well. If you end up going with the Head Stratos Pro to cover for your wider feet, I'd also get a heat-moldable liner (like the deeluxe speed liner) as some people (like me) found it hard to get a proper fit with the standard Head Stratos Pro liner.

Otherwise: don't size up to compensate for wide feet. Have a bootfitter punch out your boots to fit your wider feet if need be but you don't want to be swimming around in boots that are too big.

Good luck!

Where would I find a bootfitter? Even snowboard shops that are a several hour drive don't carry the hard goods and I doubt would offer that service. This is sounding like I may have to buy airfare.

Where would I find a bootfitter? Even snowboard shops that are a several hour drive don't carry the hard goods and I doubt would offer that service. This is sounding like I may have to buy airfare.

That may be the case, but that depends upon how well your boots fit off the bat. Otherwise,

If I were you, I would buy boots and liners and see how far I could get at home, which will probably do you just fine. If after riding them a few days on the local hills they still don't seem right, then maybe find a trip out to a mountain that has a good bootfitter at the base village, and plan on working out the kinks on the first day. I've worked with bootfitters at the mountain a few times and that has been pretty good for me - take a few runs, report back into bootfitter and make adjustments, take a few runs, repeat, rinse, dry.

cheers!

I just downsized my boots a whole size. My feet measure 28.5, a 28.0 shell was a little big, so I went down to a 27.0. Every person's feet are different though.

You don't NEED a bootfitter for the first basic fitting, Bomber has great liner molding instructions as does YYZ Canuck: http://www.yyzcanuck.com/E_tech_cooking.htm

My recent experience at SureFoot in Aspen was positively crappy compared to the results I got molding them at home.

Good luck!

The hardest part of advising people on boot siziing is convincing them that smaller is better. Everyone seems to think they have a good fit for the first few days. Then they have to start cranking the buckles to stop thier feet moving around and thats when it gets uncomfortable.

IMO if you don't quiery whether you have bought too small a boot initially, it will end up too big. Use ultra thin socks to start with and you normally end up with thicker socks.

BobD

Buy something with a heat moldable liner, and do the shell test before molding. If the shell is right, they will fit. If the shell is wrong, return them for the right size. I measure 27.5, but am riding Indies at 26.5, 1 finger clearance when I do the shell test. Don't forget about the footbeds, almost everyone needs to trow them away and buy some good ones. Stock footbeds are junk for around 95% of the people. Most ski shops will be better at fitting hardboots than a snowboard shop.I think I paid around $35 for some superfeet footbeds and another $20 to have them fit and mold the liners. Now I have custom boots!

Definately need the wide fit.
Then Deluxe's are out as an option. Plan on Heads or UPZ's. If you ever want to go with step-in bindings, UPS's are out. Follow the advice above and go with heat-moldable liners, it will make fitting your wide feet much easier. Also, custom insoles will help with the fit.

Not trying to make it sound like you have to drop a ton of $$, but you might as well have the big picture in your head because getting a comfortable fit with wide feet can become expensive. Also, buying quality products the first time around will save you money in the long run. I have size 9 EE width feet, so I understand the issues.

~$150, but they are 7 years old have been in three pairs of boots. My thermoflex liners are 6 years old and have been in two pairs of boots. I ride ~50 days per season, so I will get plenty of mileage out of the equipment before replacing. To date my insoles are fine, liners and shells might get replaced next season or the season after.

Also realize that when comparing a mondo 27 and 27.5 boot, the shells are the same, the stock liner is slightly roomier on the 27.5.

Ok, Here is what I am going to do next year for new boots. The shells fit a range of sizes. I am going to figure out what size I wear and order that size and the next one or two smaller. Then after I get them, I will size them to my foot on carpet or at a boot fitter and return the ones I don't want. I will check this out first from who ever I buy them from to make sure it is ok with them.

When you are looking at spending this kind of money for boots that are going to be around a while, I don't look at another $50 to ship and return the ones that don't fit as a big loss.

I have wide, too, and normally have a difficult time finding shoes that are wide enough. I measured my foot size as a 26 MP, and ordered UPZ's in that size, along with TD2 step-ins. I couldn't be happier with the combo. The boots have a very snug fit and are widish as hardboots go. I'm using the stock liners, but replaced the insoles with a pair of $30 Superfeets.

I wondered when you were finally going to come to the proper side of snowboarding. It only took you 221 posts in 6 weeks later to realize to come over. You wont regret it. I took the leap 5 years ago and havent looked back.

As far as boots, I started with some older raichles 223, not so stiff and a little more forgiving and two seasons later jumped up to Deeluxe indys, much stiffer and more responsive.

as long as you take care of them they should last several years, look at some of the rear entry boots that are out there.

I have seen several posts on BOL for burtons breaking, but have only ever ridden their soft boots.

The thing you need to worry about is vaccuum fever. I got it in year two, once I got the knack for doing some decent turns, it made me more interested in how other boards behave, so out went the money and in came the boards, resold what I didnt like and held onto a few. Wife hated it. Good luck in your adventure, becuase its all better from here on out!!!:biggthump

What kind of life do hard boots have? Is this going to be something I'm going to need to replace every few years or are they going to be around to pass onto my grandchildren?

The shells will probably live longer than you do. Buckles can fail, but they can also be replaced. The liners will pack out after a couple/few seasons. Heat-moldable liners can be rejuvenated a couple times just by going through the molding process again.

And some more random thoughts...

My feet measure 26.5, I have Raichle (now sold as Deeluxe) and UPZ boots, both in size 27. I tried UPZs in 26 and found them too small, length-wise, even after a lot of work from a good boot fitter. Years ago I was riding size 28 Raichles because that's what it said on the US-to-Mondo chart, and they worked ok, but 27s are way better.

UPZ will fit wide feet better than Raichle/Deeluxe, My Raichles are a bit narrow but my UPZs fit great. But, note that a boot fitter can do a LOT to accomodate funny feet. My Raichles actually fit pretty well, because I've had the shells stretched, had some material removed, and had the liners molded with strip of foam on the sides of my feet to make a little extra room. With the UPZs I only needed the foam strips during the liner-molding process.

Hard snowboard boots are very similar to ski boots, so a good ski boot fitter will have everything it takes to help you out. I get fitting done for both ski boots and snowboard boots at a ski shop and it's all the same to them.

If you feet have any odd bumps on them that are prone to getting blisters in regular footwear / work boots / etc, show the boot fitter. My heels have bumps at the bottom of the achilles, and my boots have matching divots. It turns out that there's a lot of material in this area in both brands of boots and it's easy to grind a divot. I wish I could do the same with my hiking boots. :) Last time I went for fitting there was a guy getting almpst-golf-ball-sized lumps molded into the shells on the outsides of his feet, this was done by stretching rather than grinding, but you get the idea: boots can be modified to accomodate all kinds of stuff.

I'm also using $30 superfeet footbeds, probably the same thing as AK-in-PA. I have 'real' custom footbeds too but these happen to fit me pretty well with minor modification.

Anyway, yeah, take the plunge. :)

What kind of life do hard boots have? Is this going to be something I'm going to need to replace every few years or are they going to be around to pass onto my grandchildren?

I bought some SB324's off the classifieds that look like Moses must have been the original owner. Aside from the known issue with Raichle can't adjusters, they seem really no worse for the wear.

I'd second the advice to at least get fully heat-moldable liners... definitely as good as advertised, especially if you have non-standard shaped foot.

BTW, I wear 11.5 street shoes and a 27.5 boot (27.0-27.5 shell). If you're trying to buy something or get advise, and someone asks you what size street shoe you wear - DON'T TELL THEM!

________

Extreme Q Vaporizer