Note to New Members ×

Stance width

Fleaman

5'10", 31" inseam

Carving decks - 19.25 - 19.5", flat or 3 degree toe lift on front, 3 degree heel lift on back, negligible canting

Soft boots - 20 - 21"

Hard boots on powder decks - 20 - 21", 3 degree toe lift in front, flat on back

I tweak my stances as necessary to accomodate for changes in my body and gear.

I think it came from rcrobar, who posts on here occasionally. It seems to work for me and makes a lot more sense than judging stance width on height.

If I remember right, he originally posted it with more digits, like 0.612345 or something. :) But a bunch of people (myself included) checked our jeans and our stances, divided, and came up with figures that were all right around 0.6, so there you have it. That's the one true figure, and all who deviate are heathens.

I do have Cateks so changing the cants is no problem. I think I might go wider to 21-21.25 or so and check it out.

I see a lot of softbooters with really wide stances and was wondering if it works for them in the park, it should work in the powder and trees.

5'11' 32" inseem,

I like a 22" center center stance , flat flat, and 5-8* of splay, I will go as low as 21" stance if thats all I can get from the inserts.

I ride alot off piste and trees, I find the wider stance helps a great deal.

I have lots of body mass so no problem bending boards,

I do get made fun of by some with my "caveman stance"

I dont care it works for me.

Dave*

Dave, your post sums up my 22" stance word for word. I am 5'11" - 6' with a 32" inseam. A wider stance has helped my riding with both hard and soft boots, on and off piste.

5'11' 32" inseam,

I like a 22" center center stance , flat flat, and 5-8* of splay, I will go as low as 21" stance if thats all I can get from the inserts.

I ride alot off piste and trees, I find the wider stance helps a great deal.

I have lots of body mass so no problem bending boards,

I do get made fun of by some with my "caveman stance"

I dont care it works for me.

I'm sure I scooped the .6 guideline for someone on the EC forum, a few guys had different guidelines to help narrow (or widen) things out. Another stance width ratio is your height divided by 3.5.

Here is a link to the 3.5 ratio:

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&highlight=stance+width

Nothing beats on hill experimenting!

I'm just short of 6', 32" inseam, ride about 19" on plates with 5-10 deg of splay.

Over 20" my game falls appart, especially heel side turns. However, last week I increased my softie setup to over 20" and I improved...

~6.2 proportion you'll find in the Golden Rule, Leonardo's drawings of ideal human proportions, Vitruvio's cannons, etc.

I don't think the height has too much to do with it, more the inseam length and hips width, and shape of your legs/knees. The only height implication is higher CG that might require bigger base to balance.

However, nothing beats the experimenting.

Boris