Note to New Members ×

Last day for MADDs

RJ-PS

I see that this is the last day to order a new MADD. I am having an issue convincing my wife I need another board, although perhaps once I get a madd I will be able to sell all my other boards? Beside the point.<br>

The question......is there a weight issue involved? I would like to get the 158 because I don't have a short carving board, but I weigh 200 lbs. <br>

And another question of lesser importance to me, if I get the 158 will I be able to sell all my other boards?

Thanks for all the help guys! Regardless of whatever else is going on in the posts, I still use this board to increase my knowledge of hardbooting.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be better for your size, and it's equally as magnificent. I liked the 170 better just because I like a longer board anyway. Anything <163 is too much of a constant balancing act for my taste, but people obviously love the 158 too. If I read the vibe at the ECES correctly, the nod went to the 170. I thought it was a comfortable size while being lively and playful.

If you get the 170, you'd be able to sell anything in your quiver in the range of about 163-180.

Also I think they may extend the deadline to Friday, but you should consider that a rumor for now.

-Jack

Its a $100 deposit by tomorrow to reserve your board. The total price is $500, or $540 with a full grind+tune, and $20 for shipping. The 170 and 158 are the same price and delivery is supposed to be midsummer.

They need 25 orders of each type to do a production run. I sure hope enough of us have placed our order. =)

The other Madd thread has links to paypal in your deposit.

You know I was under the impression that it would have ptex 5000, but they did not make any indication of this from the email. They just said it would be the classic Madd construction that retails for $800.

I sure hope it is ptex 5000 though =).

"Madds have forward-loaded camber, which requires a more aggressive carving technique and takes a bit of getting used to."

-carver's almanac

Though I would bring that issue up since you were talking about weight/board flex issues with the Madd. Bordy rides the 158 and before I read that quote he did mention to me that the 158's are tricky.

Here is the rest of the carver' almanac info about the Madd boards-

"The 170 cm length board is easy to ride and is suitable for beginners. It has incredible edge hold, and lets you concentrate on your technique without worrying about maintaining a precise center of mass. Optionally, you can throw your weight forward, and the board will convert all the force into speed without folding at the nose. As a result, it's possible to perform diving turns on ice, and to maintain speed on the flats. The board feels like two boards in one:

First you concentrate on throwing your weight into the nose and letting it propel you forward.

Then you shift your weight back, and you can almost hear the tail click into engagement and lock in for the rest of the turn.

The 158 cm length (8.8 M radius) board requires an advanced weight-forward technique and is not suitable for beginners. Whereas on the 170 cm model you can optionally throw your weight forward, it's mandatory on the 158. It is also necessary to maintain a more precisely balanced center of mass to get the optimal edge hold characteristics. It offers the unusual combination of small sidecut radius and high stability, which is optimal for narrow runs. The 158 also proves one corollary: the length of a board does not necessarily matter."

The old base was sweet! it does not hold wax as well but it looks cool as hell and hard.. very durable ,,BTW how fast do you want to go on a 158 any way!

Put Zardoz Not Wax on it! if you need to go faster! really just as Jack, when we put it on his Board!

Please! give me the cool speckle cork board base!

Shred!

Ptex is a trademark of german company IMS.

Their current flagship is the 4000 electra "galium" that has 15% of carbon inside. They are actually test riding ( world cup skieers do ride on them this season ) an 4000 R that will have less tendency to get dry, and has more gliding possibilities ( if its still possible to go faster than a 4000 E!)

Range is:

4000 R ( still in test)

4000 E (also called Electra or Electra galium)

2000 E

1000 ( I think they stopped producing the 1000 )

Anything above 4000 is not Ptex, its likely to come from competitor Isosport, and they have ( sounds like AMD/Intel/ PPC race) 5000, 6000 and 7000 bases that they cannot call Ptex...

Am not sure about what numbers are equivalent to the 4000 E but there should be a top range stuff that does... maybe someone has a clue...

So if the madd has some Ptex its not 5000 ! its the other brand.

Might be a good idea to know exactly what base u get :)

Nils

while listening to Scott Firestone talk to the Madd guy, the new boards won't have the old type base, I guess the material isn't available anymore. I think the demos had p-tex 2000 (?) bases but am not sure. They were discussing base materials and they are looking at other materials but am not personally sure what they were. Scott or Madd Mike should pipe up here and explain further. Scott's comments should be right on 'cause he spent a lot of time on the Madds @ SES.

Guest Doug M

Let me get this straight.All they need is an order for 25 boards and can't get enough orders to do a production run???No wonder all the board manufacturers bailed on alpine.I want to know who all the dopes are who sent money to someone who can not support a 25 board production run.What happens if you have a quality problem???If they cannot get the capital to fund a few boards how do you think they would/could handle a problem with them???What's the deal????? Leap of Faith???

Doug M

I have faith in the Madd team. They totally came through on an issue I had with a used demo prototype board, so I am confident that if anything happens to the new boards, they'll be there 100%. And with the construction methods they use to make their boards, I HIGHLY doubt anyone will ever have problems with their Madd =). Just ride it and ride it until you've worn through all of your ptex!

Yep , Funny I rode bof uv em! they are both different, and rock in different ways...but dang good construktion! don't need faith if YOUR MADD! I had to have both, so IM GETTING BOTH! It just plain silly to pass up a board like this, so ya gotta get both! heck I was thinking of double it.. cause you know once there made,,, 10 years from now someone will pay more,, its like a Ducati! Its uniquie should see da MADD in da Gugenheim next to the 916!

Right said Shred!:mad: