Note to New Members ×

Michigan Carvers

BShaw

Roll Call:

Where are all of you riding?

Mt. Holly locally, Nubs Nob (Favorite)

Would there be any interest to get a number of us to meet up and ride somewhere?

I like Nubs

Occasionally I see someone on the hill but never been able to catch them in a lift line. It would be nice to ride with other HB boarders.

I'm a Crystal Mtn rider also. (The pow day we just had yesterday was AWESOME!) I'd like to make it to nubs, but I have a hard time gettin away. If anybody wants to meet my roommate and I at Steamboat on feb. 2-6th though, I'll be there.

I'm a soft-booter, but I've ridden with hard-booters a few times.

I'm in the Detroit suburbs and prefer Mt. Holly, but I'd be willing to meet up at Alpine Valley or Pine Knob.

I've been to some of the places in northern lower Michigan, but I'm more likely to go to Bristol (near Rochester, NY) or Holiday Valley (near Buffalo, NY) for weekend trips.

I'm not doing a lot of riding this season. I have a toddler at home, and I'm super busy at work until the end of February. I might be able to get out a bit more in March.

Looking at my schedule, I'm thinking the next time I'll be on snow is Sunday, January 13, at Mt. Holly, morning session.

Hi Pat,

I tested it and my e-mail seems to be working ok.

I would love to get a group of us up at Nubs. I was there last week Friday, Conditions were excelent, grooming was great (as it always is). The next weekend that looks good (weather), I will be heading to up there. Write now it looks like January 12th and 13th.

My Coiler EX Titanal is not the correct choice of board for our local hills, The runs are not steep/fast enough to really use the board. But at Nubs, it was excellent.

I may try the runs at Alpine Valley with it...

How is your new board working out?

Howdy

First post, just found the site.

I live in S.E. Mi. & ride Holly, Brighton and Alpine locally. I've got a pass at Caberfae so I'm there about every other weekend. I've also got a MSIA White Gold card and I'm gonna try to punch every pass on it.

My old K2 Slalom with the dayglow pink base & soft boots kinda stands out. If ya see me on it give a shout. Always lookin for new carvers to hang with.

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved up to Hancock and got a pass at Ripley. Talk about a hard hill to carve on... Anyway, if there is anyone else up this way that attempts to ride an alpine board I would like to know who you are. I know there is always the 2 hour trip to Marquette, but that won't happen very often. I'll let everyone know if I get a chance to head down state toward my old stomping grounds too. Hopefully that will happen at least a few times this winter.

pebu, i haven't been on the freestyle board since 05 and it was only for the boardercross event at uscsa nationals that year. i'd have to say boarding the pow is way more fun than skiing it though, so what do you think, is it worth bringing the skis and the freestyle board and switchin it up at the hill, or should i stick to one or the other?

it gets real choppy if it'snot right after a dump, but it's still worth it. You're not gonna be surfing pow, but it's still a blast. There are a few spots here and there where no-one seems to go and it's not hard to find them. But I'd suggest going up there at least once, just to see what it's all about.

• 2 weeks later...
I live in S.E. Mi. & ride Holly, Brighton and Alpine locally. <...>

My old K2 Slalom with the dayglow pink base & soft boots kinda stands out. <...>

Trebron --

Were you at Mt. Holly yesterday morning? I think I saw you in the parking lot (black (Dodge) Nitro with a gefilte fish?). You had already left for the hill when I figured out why your K2 with pink base was registering with me. I thought I'd be able to find you on the hill, but it turned out no (there were quite a few folks riding boards with pink bases, let me tell you).

Yep wrong car tho, I'm in a black Dodge Ram. I was there from open till 4, but I didn't pull out my Slalom till about 11. Saw a couple of other carvers out there. Was taking turns running down Mozart with one of em for a while, but we never ran into each other.

Pink seems to be a popular color this year. The kids seem to dig my board lately, I've gotten alot of comments about it this year. The guys in the ski check were freakin out over it the other day.

"Dudes come check out this sick ride"

I'm planning on riding Bittersweet & Swiss Valley on Saturday.

• 9 years later...

Dead thread revival!

I'm going to be driving up to Troy, MI area for work on the 30th coming back on the 1st.

I'm looking for my options:

Alpine Valley offers night skiing, 230ft vert.
Mt. Holly offers night skiing, 180ft vert.
Pine Knob offers night skiing, 180ft vert.
Mt. Brighton offers night skiing, 230ft vert.

Any hill better than the others for carving?

Edited by lonbordin
10 year old thread revival, record? ?

I've heard from @LambertoMI and @Chouinard so there's a possibility I'll get to ride with other carvers... always a cool thing! 

Right now it looks like I'll be hitting Mt. Brighton or Pine Knob on the way in Tuesday (not sure when I'll get there).

Wed->work

Thurs->if no work evening at Pine Knob

Friday-> I'm going somewhere on the way out! :biggthump

22 minutes ago, Pat Donnelly said:

Bring your sunscreen for tomorrow (01/30/2018).

Pine Knob promo "Tremendous Tuesday" - day rate of $26 if purchased by 2:30 p.m.  

Good for a.m. Session only which is 10:00 to 5:30.

I will be there at 9:55 a.m.

Cool Pat. Good to know. Thanks for the reply!

Sunscreen was on but the light was flat at Pine Knob. Fun riding with @Pat Donnelly. He showed me all the runs at PK. ?

I realized when I switched boards it wasn't as slow as my Coiler was telling me.  When I was packing the car I realized what the problem was... I waxed the Coiler with the warm weather wax, sigh.

The SL is very finicky. Must be centered!!! I wish it had more torsional stiffness. If I'm out of sync with my feet it's very sad. It's softer than I remembered.

Hoping to hit PK Thursday night... We will have to see.

Maybe Brighton on the way out Friday morning, maybe. :biggthump

Well work messed with my schedule and plans... so I re-imagined and went to Pine Knob for an early session (open 'til noon).  I'm so glad I did!  

Got to ride with @Pat Donnelly again and watch him make some tight turns on that Coiler xtra-tight!  Nice!  Sun was out! Snow was nice!  Groom was excellent.  And uncrowded... a perfect recipe for carving! (Thanks Pat! Nice riding with you.)

Hey @bigwavedave! First run, unmolested tracks shot! W00t! :biggthump

20180202_100429.jpg.0027b31b86466d419797ed3508b53b3d.jpg

Right before we packed it in overcast skies and flat light took over with a little bit of snow so perfect timing.

I'll be back up in a month... Brighton for sure next time... Heck I want to sample all the wee bumps.

Here's Pat in transition tryin' to deal with the crowds-

20180202_101430.thumb.jpg.25f192c886179da728842d2839fc3e11.jpg

Edited by lonbordin
I like the spray off Pat's board... he was going fast! (Zoom in on the photo)
  • Like 1