Note to New Members ×

bruce varsava is a genius

tex1230

Coiler 176 EX = Magic board

If it handles tomorrow's ice the way it handled today's soft chop, I'll be thinning my quiver.

I still haven't gotten my hands on a metal board, but until proven otherwise this is the board!

Thanks again bruce!

hell yes !

got a pic of her, tex ? blue with the black tattoo ? like mines ?

post-123-141842244382_thumb.jpg

As said the Schtubby Project and designs are from SHRED. He initiated this project, and also made the designs for the unique topsheet so he gets all the credits and Bruce also of course. Thanks SHRED for making/designing me the dutchy orange one!

The specs will be as follows: 171 cm, width about 20cm, sidecut about 13SCR, the nose and tail will be a surprise to me, is still to be designed. So SHRED, ARIS and I are anxious to see what will come out of the kitchen of BRUCE. These specs where early stated here with pictures of the topsheet by SHRED. METAL of course!!

Bruce told me this week he was just returning from his suppliers:

Been busy Christmas shopping. For me that means going to all my suppliers and making sure I have enough board building materials to get me through the holidays! Topsheets are waiting for me at the post office so I will get them today. Actual boards are not materialized yet but they are coming up soon on the schedule. Finally I can get back to work today, too much shopping! Just picked up a new batch of wood yesterday.

BV

post-105-141842244415_thumb.jpg

The specs will be as follows: 171 cm, width about 20cm, sidecut about 13SCR, the nose and tail will be a surprise to me, is still to be designed.

Cool, thanks for sharing, sounds nice. Pretty close to mine. I've specified 14m, 21cm, 170cm, and a 155cm running length for extra schtubbiness. This is 5cm longer than would be dictated by the typical 15cm nose length, 5cm tail length formula. I could copy yours, but I have boards that are 12m and 16m, so I want a 14m to fill the gap. Also after riding my Madd 180 (16m), I've realized the benefits of shallow sidecut depth - makes the board more maneuverable.

After this, I'll just need a 200cm/18.5m and my fleet will be complete!

After this, I'll just need a 200cm/18.5m and my fleet will be complete!

So a Tinkler can fill that gap! Here's mine.....I love this one with a titanal plate on it................ Never experienced of riding a board this long so easily.

Long turns of course, bending to shorter ones, no probs, 202cm, 18,2cm width, 14M SCR.

post-105-141842244427_thumb.jpg

So a Tinkler can fill that gap! Here's mine.....I love this one with a titanal plate on it................ Never experienced of riding a board this long so easily.

Long turns of course, bending to shorter ones, no probs, 202cm, 18,2cm width, 14M SCR.

imo, 14m is too short for a 202. My 170 will be 14m. I spent a day on ~tb's 205cm 18.5m gun and it's simply a whole other ball game. Big fun.

Why a schtubby ?

After I got my Madd 180, which has a 16m radius, I realized that you don't need as much length as I thought, and that shallow sidecut depth = better maneuverability. 16m is usually found on boards about 195cm. Heck, my skis are 170cm and 15m, and they work great.

I've never had a schtubby, but the theory is that you get a board that carves like a long board but rides like a shorter board. In other words, you simply get a more versatile <i>snowboard</i>.

Then you must have some very wide groomers overthere and no crowds. Or can you simply push such a board to very shorter radius'?

I was at Stratton. I was surprised at how relatively tight it would turn. I thought it was just going to rail me into the woods, but it didn't. Sure, you have to stay on the wider stuff, and it is difficult to whip it around for a quick stop, but it is very carve-able. I will have one someday. Actually I'm torn between getting a schtubby and a 200 now. argh.

Jack get a 195 or 200. My 195 is one of my fav boards in my quiver. It's Todds 195 board with a 16.75 radius. You can ride it at Sunapee when we meet up or the ECES. What you've got a 158, 177, 180 and nothing bigger... you NEED a 195, especially at the Loaf, trails are big enough to ride a big board all day there.

Or have Bruce make you a split tail 195, you can adjust the tail to change how tight you can turn the board. Ben's has a Coiler split board and a regular 195, I'm sure he'll let you ride them :D

Jack get a 195 or 200. My 195 is one of my fav boards in my quiver. It's Todds 195 board with a 16.75 radius. You can ride it at Sunapee when we meet up or the ECES. What you've got a 158, 177, 180 and nothing bigger... you NEED a 195, especially at the Loaf, trails are big enough to ride a big board all day there.

Or have Bruce make you a split tail 195, you can adjust the tail to change how tight you can turn the board. Ben's has a Coiler split board and a regular 195, I'm sure he'll let you ride them :D

Jack, just let me know when you want to ride them and I'll bring them both for you to ponder. My Coiler 196 is a 17+ radius. It's 17m up front and larger out back. I know nothing about the split tail for specs but I know it rides big.

the Madd 180 and the 'loaf must be a good time. I had a couple rippin' days there on the burner 197.

Maine has it good, two major ski resorts in that state and they are certainly two of the five best in the north east.

Jack, I am real interested in the tinklers but I almost feel like he caters to people that got the big board bug but puts shorter SCRs on them so they're ridable. I share the feeling of not really needing the extra wood.

I had a F2 speedster that was in the high 160's that turned fairly wide for it's size and though I did not like that board it was very easy to ride and made a super versitile carver because of the short actual length mixed with long radius.

maybe the schtubby will be my next venture, once I get off the Coiler AMs, them things rip, if you haven't been on one get on one. the AM is the one to rule them all for me!

the Madd 180 and the 'loaf must be a good time.

It is. :eplus2:

Jack, I am real interested in the tinklers but I almost feel like he caters to people that got the big board bug but puts shorter SCRs on them so they're ridable. I share the feeling of not really needing the extra wood.

I don't know what the deal is there. I thought Tinklers were all custom, but yes, they all seem to have short sidecuts for their length. They sure are purty though.

I had a F2 speedster that was in the high 160's that turned fairly wide for it's size and though I did not like that board it was very easy to ride and made a super versitile carver because of the short actual length mixed with long radius.

F2 race boards typically have long sidecuts. Their 173 has a 14m. Same as Prior's 185 (187).

maybe the schtubby will be my next venture, once I get off the Coiler AMs, them things rip, if you haven't been on one get on one. the AM is the one to rule them all for me!

My Schtubby will be that. The AMs, 4WDs, Axi do nothing for me. Waaaaay too short sidecut. I demo'd a 174 4WD and couldn't get off it fast enough. Too turny. The numbers on all those boards don't add up to me.

Ben, you're on.