Note to New Members ×

New edge design

jtslalom

I was talking to a friend the other day and he was telling me about his new board and how the edges were serrated. I don't know if this is something that is brand new to edge designs or not but it sounds like a pretty good idea. I don't know about tuning though. The board he bought is a free ride board that he rides with soft bindings. I don't remeber the company but it was a well known one. I wonder if any company makes a hard/carving deck with serrated edges?

Lib tech - magna traction

has been around for a few years now -

don't think anyone has done it on a carving deck yet

I'd hate to try to tune it

We have done that about four years ago, I still have that board!

It was 175 cm with 18.5 in waist and a 4 mm wave aroung the sidecut!

Easy to tune with a grinding machine!

It's not quite serrated. At least not the boards that I've seen. But it's a wavy sidecut. I've heard two theories on this design. 1, when you tip the board up on edge, there are two pressure points (at the nose width and the tail width) and having multiple points like this helps distribute the load. 2, when up on edge and decambered, your snowboard has one long contact point. These "serrations" decrease the area of the contact point, thus increasing the pressure, so now you have better edge hold.

Personally I think the idea is bunk, but then again I'm a bit of a traditionalist...

Cyrus,

As you tested one, how does it feel ?

I'm sure you compared it to a similar board without the wavely edge.

My guess is, for freeride it will work as described by marketing and will be something good for the ride. However for carving decks, as we dig trenches deep into the snow, the whole length of the board is in contact and pressure the snow making the need for multiple contact point useless.

Blue sky

Didier

I would imagine it would slow an alpine deck down, as the undulations in the edge profile would probably act like teeth in the snow to some extent. IMO: this is somewhat of a crutch, as with proper technique you can set an edge confidently in just about any kind of snow.

And while I imagine that this creates an advantage for most snowboarders in most conditions, I would imagine that it would be nothing short of catastrophically unstable on boilerplate (hello, chatter?).

One of my fellow instructors at Lookout has a libtech with that feature and loves it.It seems to me that it inspires confidence in hard or icy conditions from what I've been hearing.That said, I agree with the opinion that it is not needed for carvers used to pressuring edges and shaping turns more skillfully.Afterall,turn shape is the biggest factor in determining speed control.

This is from Lib Techs website

SNOWBOARDERS ARE DIFFERENT THAN SKIERS.

Snowboarders stand sideways. Snowboarders transfer energy into their boards and to the snow through two feet attached to one board. Snowboarders ride a fixed stance width.

MAGNE-TRACTION IS DESIGNED TO GET MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE FROM THESE SNOWBOARD SPECIFIC CONTROL PARAMETERES.

Magne-Traction makes snowboarding easier and more fun.

MAGNE-TRACTION SHIFTS THE CONTROL, EDGEHOLD, AND POWER FROM YOUR TIP AND TAIL TO UNDER YOUR FEET WHERE YOUR BALANCE IS CENTERED.

- The nose and tail are no longer the primary tools used in turn initiation. This results in a more catch free tip and tail. Less chatter/ratgtle when running a flat base, less hooking of tip and tail, less surprises, less falls. Better control for freestyle tricks, better tracking and an easier snowboard to ride.

- Magne-Traction allows you to have input to the edge space between your feet like you never had before. This results in more control over your snowboard. More control switch, more control with one foot out, more control on traverses, more control on ice.

- Magne-Traction directs power to the parts of the board your feet control. More edge hold. Less fatigue. Less falls. Better turns even with a wiede stance.

MAGNE-TRACTION FREESTYLE ADVANTAGE One of the best things about Magne-Traction is that the extra edge hold you get allows you to ride your board de-tuned for the park and rails and still get great edge hold all over the mountain. Take a file and round your edges so they don’t hang up on the rails, boxes, or ledges. Then go ride everywhere.

TESTIMONIALS TRAVIS RICE-FUEL TV- MAGNE-TRACTION VIDEO TECHNORMOUS TUNING

Magne-Traction is snowboard geometry based around the mechanics of snowboarding. Most boards have a sidecut that is based on ski theories of one pressure point, the boot, inputting power into the board. Snowboarders especially todays freestyle snowboarders have wide stances that make it difficult to apply pressure to the board between your feet. Magne-Traction directly addresses that issue by abandoning antique ski theories and creating genuine snowboard geometry. Magne-Traction is 7 specific bumps along the length of a sidecut each designed and specific size and purpose. The three between your feet are the deepest bringing to life the area between your feet. As you move out towards the tip and tail, the bumps become progressively smaller, making the board more catch free and freestyle focused. The end result is a board that turns under your foot instead of from the tip and tail, creating a more intuitive, simpler mechanic, easier ride and skateboard like feel. Tip and Turn. Each bump increases edge aggression like a serrated knife. The result is better edge hold with less effort. Park and Rail riders can detune a Magne-Traction and still have better edge hold than a regular board. Magne-Traction has been awarded 5 Good Wood awards by TransWorld Snowboarding Magazine. Magne-Traction is the first significant improvement in snowboard design since deep sidecut. Lib Tech invented Magne-Traction.

I didn't see this mentioned previus but the Magnetraction takes advantage of the fact that at no time when we are riding are we ever on a perfectly flat surface...not even skidder "groom" (scraped down to ice). It's still got waves, dips, depressions. Our straight (for all intents and purposes) edge cant make contact with all of the snow surface 100% effectively 100% of the time unless we were riding on an iceskating rink (and even then that would be questionable.)

The Magnetraction has a wavy period of 4-6" not like a serrated knife at 20teeth per inch. These waves allow the edge to get into the waves, dips, and depressions better than our edge. BUT!...only for a very brief instant, likely 1/10th of a second so is only intermittently beneficial. Besides the only way to effectively compare is use two boards identical, one with and one without using the same rider on the same exact line...starting to sound impossible.

There may be benefits (most likely the confidence building )however momentary but we know our current edges and proper technique make Magnetraction not necesary.

J

serrated edges: the new asym?

sounds kind of wierd to me, do you mean, like steak knife serrated? imagine the damage you would do in lift lines.

Not like steak knife.

This page: http://www.lib-tech.com/magneTraction/index.html#

top right look along the edge fo the red board near they dude doing a back flip. Wavy is a better description.

more like this sim_6.gif

J

If you just want to ride on a crap ice day and not be concerned about scritching out so often,try a Magnetraction.I think the only thing you may object to is they are not quite as stiff as the boards you may be used to. They seem sort of noodley as they are probably designed for the park/rail crowd rather than carvers and even freeriders....It was a fun enough ride but I didnt liek it when I tried to rock it up on a high edge, didnt work quite right.... :lurk:

DSC03310.jpg

DSC03311.jpg

This is my current board, and you can clearly see the wavy sidewalls and edges on the pictures. I don't like it, it's a weird ride, I don't feel secure.

It works great for quick turns at low and medium speed, but doesn't hold an edge on long turns at high speed. I can feel the edges hook the snow and release several times during a turn, it's like having 50cm long edges between the legs and nothing on tip and tail. This is not a soft boots carving board.

And I probably didn't get the trick to handle it well.

Anyway, bought a more classical Duo GLX.