Note to New Members ×

A snowboard Christmas donation needed.

Phil

There are a lot of kids who end up getting very little for Christmas every year. There are also a lot of people and agencies who try to make sure that these same kids have something special under the tree.

My wife and I were taking part in one of these programs this year. Today I asked the person in charge if there were any more kids left on their list. She said that there was a boy who wanted a snowboard but that nobody really seemed to be able to help.<O:p

Somehow it has been determined that the boy needs a 147 snowboard with bindings. I was not part of the process of determining this, so I will take the info as is.<O:p

I am looking for anyone who may have a board sitting around that you would be willing to donate. You will receive a donation form in return which will allow you to claim it on your taxes (you will have to determine the value of the board – the agency cannot do it for you).

<O:p</O:p

I am going to take care of getting a lift/lesson package for the boy. I am also willing to pay for shipping for anyone willing to donate the gear.<O:p</O:p

I hope that it goes without saying that the board should be in good shape. It may be used, but we are not looking for sloppy seconds.<O:p</O:p

Thanks for your consideration. Drop me a line if you can help.

can you take paypal?

Trailertrash has the right idea! I don't have a newish 147 freeride board kicking around, but I'd be more than happy to contribute some $ to the cause - let us know. And how is that boy fixed for gloves/goggles/jacket etc.?

I wonder if anyone here is familiar with the <a href="http://childsplaycharity.com/">Child's Play Charity</a>? It's run by two guys who produce a webcomic about gaming, and it organizes donations of toys and games for pediatric wards - they're on track for $1 million+ in donations this year.

That could be a great model for how the BOL community could come together and lend a hand to the next generation of riders, though maybe we'd operate on a smaller scale (at least at first :biggthump).

Thanks for the replies. I have PM'ed a few of you.

I am going to hold off on the money thing until I can see if I can just get the board and bindings. If I can't, maybe I'll take you guys up on your monetary generosity.

As far as other equipment is concerned, it may be a good option. I do not know a thing about this kid, though, so I would like to find out about him before I get you guys to deck him out in gear.

Thanks for all of your generosity. When this lady told me her request, I thought of BOL first, knowing you guys would be willing to help.

If there is anyone else who can help with further options, I am all ears....

Phil,

I just pulled a 150 twin out of the press today that was missing an insert. It fell out just before layup and was not caught. It is a custom for Charter Communications, so impossible for me to sell even as a blem. It will just sit on a shelf somewhere collecting dust. I'll donate the board. Maybe one of you other guys will donate the shipping cost or some bindings for him. Give me a call.

So far so good.

If, by Tuesday, we still need bindings, I may take some of you up on your paypal donations and just go out and buy a pair of bindings for the boy.

I'll check around first, though - someone probably has bindings.

I'll keep you posted...

Today, I talked to the GM of Bear Creek Resort (where I work). I told him the story that I told you last night. I also told him that I was going to donate free lessons to the boy. I asked him if he would be willing to donate a lift ticket to the cause. He immediately agreed and told me to stop by the office to pick it up at the end of the day. When I went in, the lady handed me the ticket and I looked at it in shock. They had given the boy a SEASON PASS!!!

This just keeps getting better.

Thanks to all of you who have volunteered your help. I will be in touch with any of you that I have missed ASAP.

I'll keep you updated as things progress...

Today, I talked to the GM of Bear Creek Resort (where I work). I told him the story that I told you last night. I also told him that I was going to donate free lessons to the boy. I asked him if he would be willing to donate a lift ticket to the cause. He immediately agreed and told me to stop by the office to pick it up at the end of the day. When I went in, the lady handed me the ticket and I looked at it in shock. They had given the boy a SEASON PASS!!!

This just keeps getting better.

Thanks to all of you who have volunteered your help. I will be in touch with any of you that I have missed ASAP.

I'll keep you updated as things progress...

that's AWESOME - that kid is going to be so happy!!! <new age moment> New equipment and a season pass, I can't think of a gift that could bring more positive energy into this kids life!!</new age moment>

I have a set of Limited junior bindings. Tell me where to send them. I'll throw in some mitts too.

Also, anyone who wants to help out with this kind of thing, check out Burton's Chill program. My son and I helped out a couple of seasons ago and it was a blast. Some of the kids could really rip by the end of the program.

http://www.burton.com/Chill/Default.aspx