Note to New Members ×

Neti Pot

Jack M

I think this thread is hilarious because I never even heard of a neti pot until I moved to Colorado...actually, I think it was just a couple weeks ago...perfect timing for this thread to be revived!

All the hippies (no offense because I am quickly becoming very crunchy living in these parts) apparently use them out here, and I was terrified when someone showed me the video of one! Haha disgusting! What ever happened to good old fashion nose blowing? :barf:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What ever happened to good old fashion nose blowing? :barf:

If you ever have one of those weeks where you blow and blow and feel like you just can't get everything out.... well once you dump a half a cup of warm water through there, you'd be surprised about what comes out that wouldn't with all that blowing.

It took me a few minutes to stop laughing at the picture of this woman emptying a gravy boat into her nose!

Seriously though, Johns Hopkins University did two separate medical studies, the latest one in 2001, in which they found that over 90% of chronic sinus infections were found to be caused by fungus. These fungal infections were untouched by antibiotic therapy (duh) but were diminished by saline solution therapy. So, why do most US doctors keep prescribing antibiotics for sinus infections?

Some folks add anti-fungals like pau d'arco, olive leaf extract, and grapefruit seed extract to the saline solution, too.

Mark

You tell 'em, Mark!

Sup, brother?

here's a hint don't buy your nutritionals from the companies that say they don't work:freak3: All the drugstore brands are made by drug companies.

try a reputable brand like

Emergen-C

Actually I'm using the Rite-Aid version of Emergen-C. They call it Resurgen-C. I read the ingredients side by side, and they appeared identical to me.... no?

• 2 weeks later...

Started using the squeeze bottle version after reading this thread. It seems to help keep me a little clearer. Do you guys just use regular tap water? Do you mix your own salt water? I have been using the packets that came with the squeeze bottle, but I don't see why I should buy expensive packets of salt when I have plenty of salt in my kitchen. Would appreciate any info from the long time users.

Nice to see you here again.

The (Neti) pot is one of those items (along with vitamins, minerals and herbs) that is hated by the FDA and their sacred cow the AMA. You simply can't make any money selling doctor appointments and unnecessary and useless prescriptions to customers (oops, I'm sorry, patients) who beat sinusitis by pouring warm saline solution into their little heads.

It would not surprise me to see an all-out ban on sales of Neti pots in the years to come. Or, once health care is (fully) socialized in the US, you might not be able to buy one without a prescription, eh? Remember to get your flu shot, too. You wouldn't want to miss out on yet another opportunity to be fleeced by Big Medicine this year.

Contact me via e-mail BOL.

Mark

I hear Tommy Chong will be lending his name to a new line of Pyrex Neti Pots.

Perhaps the masses will now embrace this silly remedy for cleansing the sinuses.

Stupid hippys.:rolleyes:

btw, the flushing worked with a stainless coffee creamer in the shower. not fun but it prevented the potential cold from sidelining me.

thanks for the info, now back to the binger:freak3:

CC 2007, I was there :biggthump

Chong for President

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DMFGqh822s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DMFGqh822s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ruVl_y5mus&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ruVl_y5mus&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

wow, I haven't actually seen one in action. Last year (I think) Oprah had these on her show. We had moms buying these from my pharmacy like they were going out of style. Then all of the sudden, they were back ordered for 6 months or so.

Our supplier couldn't get a hold of them at all. Apparently they're really good. I've been lucky enough to avoid sinus infections and I embrace the cold weather.

Flu shots, I don't believe they're very necessary, unless you're at high risk (youngster, elderly, or constantly around either of the 2)

Jack, the store generics are often made by the same manufacturer as the actual brand, and if not, they still are identical.

As far as vitamins go, Dr. D is right, you can have 1000% your daily value of any certain vitamin, you're body isn't going to absorb more than it really needs. There can be dangers with going over board with too many natural products, but I haven't learned about specific ones yet.

As far as getting antibiotics for sinus infections, I always laugh at that. There is a walk-in clinic doctor thats next to my pharmacy and every day he calls in a dozen or so Zpaks (Azithromycin 250 mg) for people's sinus infections. As Dr. D stated, bacteria is one of the last culprits of a sinus infection. People are just making their bodies more resistant to the bacteria in their body by taking that amount of antibiotics.

Best thing to do to stay healthy is take multivitamins with plenty of calcium and vitamin D, and since we all like snowboarding, I highly recommend glucosamine for the joints. That stuff is wonderous.

Having been in pharmaceuticals for the last 12 years, I've had the opportunity to speak with 1000's of doc's.. and, sample about everything in the closet...ohh..and sell about every class of medication.

My two cents:

Zicam for our family works reeeaaalllly well. We use the nasal swabs. Cuts the cold symptoms down to 2-3 days and even during that time, symptoms are very mild. (no/little sneezing, runny nose, congestion).

Having lived in the dakota's, I found that MANY people with chronic sinusitis in fact had a sinus fugal infection. There are a couple of different oral treatments available and probably (don't know, didn't try) some homeopathic ones as well. The story usually went like this: "My doctor put me on another antibiotic for my sinuses. They seem to help a little, but I've got bad sinuses, so, I need them.". One cycle of an antifungal and *BAM*, knocked out. They can carry a higher side-effect burden.

Fluticasone proprionate(flonase), and other products like this, are potent anti-inflammatory's(corticosteriod). Works great to reduce sinus symptoms, poison ivy (as a topical).

Flu shot? Never had one, can't remember if I've ever had the flu. However, my 11yr old son has been puking since 9pm last night and feels like crap..so, I'm assuming he's brought it home. I've successfully (well, can't conclude that the treatment was the reason as I didn't get the flu..) managed to sidestep getting symptoms of the flu by taking a valtrex (antiviral) or two during these times when my family brings it home. I don't shy away from the boys either.. warm puke (and dog poo) make me wish I had severe nasal congestion!

zpak has (3year old data) greater than 38% incidence of resistance to it. It is WAAAAY overprescribed. You can thank your doctor for that since he/she writes the prescription!

Where do you get Varcho Veda?

I found that just googling a bit. Pretty sure you can get it mailed to you in the US. I'll look for the link again.

I had an herbalist on vaca in Vail in my van to DIA tell me that Echinacea is key to take with you on vacation,at the first sign of sniffles and it'll boost your immune system and hopefully beat the bug. He swore by it, had his whole family with him and said nothing will ruin a ski vacation like a sick kid. I know many don't believe in taking echinacea but my body seems to respond well to it.

also, can you just use this hose system instead of the neti pot ? seems like it would get a better blast up into the sinuses.

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/sc/shopexd.aspx?id=257439&PLC=1&GFM=41&referer=http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/product/nasal-irrigation-antrum-syringe/exam-room-supplies/antrum-syringe-nasal/257439/257439.aspx&EOR=x&ESR=2&dir=shp2&b=sf5e&w=1282&h=578&f=N&tp=120740&frompg=99&topg=99&menupage=0

like a face enema :barf:

KC, don't be such a wuss ;)

edit: found it

http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/Netipot/NetiPotGateway.aspx

they're in PA

sorry , donny douche is really annoying but this is kinda interesting

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLYK9RC1mTw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLYK9RC1mTw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

post-123-1418422680_thumb.jpeg

Haha no willy I start to gag when I do it! Then I have waster going in one nostril, and coming out my mouth and other nostril!

what Kimo said, it takes a little concentration and practice

kinda like circular breathing :rolleyes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RM5uVrqzSE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RM5uVrqzSE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

avoid the gag reflex :biggthump