Note to New Members ×

Poach, poach, poach, and poach again!

wavechaser

one more reason I'm glad i don't ride Burton anymore.

Actually I've wondered if hardbooters could ride Alta etc. and get away with it. People are so clueless about alpine now, I bet we could just say "it's not a snowboard", or, "it's a monoski" and glide on by to the chair.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one more reason I'm glad i don't ride Burton anymore.

Actually I've wondered if hardbooters could ride Alta etc. and get away with it. People are so clueless about alpine now, I bet we could just say "it's not a snowboard", or, "it's a monoski" and glide on by to the chair.

especially if you are using Catek or Bomber step-in's the look is so automatic that it fools a lot of people

all set with MRG (but I did grab a stack o stickers at the ski show for my 2 planker bros)

I'd just as soon hit Castlerock and that new chair.

but, I was thinkin' Burton's overpriced splitboard would work...if one was so inclined.... :rolleyes:

http://snowboarding.about.com/od/backcountry/ss/how_split_works.htm

http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/split_boards.html

http://www.dogfunk.com/dogfunk/BUR1569/Burton-420-Kit.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO003&CMP_SKU=BUR1569&mv_pc=r126

cuz you can buy it....for $20

post-123-141842242777_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842242778_thumb.jpg

I remember a story from a few years back about two guys who poached DV on skwals. And apparently, DV either didn't have a problem with it or let the issue go for that one day.

Anyone else remember this?

Aparanly skwals are aloud at DV:

Deer Valley was stupid...running into people isn't gonna help.

I have a letter from the marketing director that says Skwals are ok...so that's a start. not much difference between a skwal and an alpine board.

hey, who doesnt get a kick out of going where theyre not supposed to. I for one think it would just be a good time. Those ski patrol who tackled the snowboarder, what the hell was that, isnt there some nazi ski patrol code against hurting others or something? and the girls who were harrasing the skiers, bad move, makes us all look like jackasses.

this competition could justify me buying a prior splitboard. Woohoo new gear!!!!

That was a funny video but it also reminds me why I can't stand snowboarders. And on alpine gear it's like you can't go with either group-skiers are like "dirtbag" and snowboards are like "alpine freak." The best part was the tackling, I mean, it's like they robbed a bank or something, that was hilarious!

Entertaining:lurk:

very funny video, i especially loved all the highlights of "high ski fashion":cool: All those subliminal message photos in the beginning were a little over the top though. Would Muhammad Ali really condone poaching a ski resort? would he really care?

And these people don't GO anywhere else - they're phobic, so you won't ever deal with 90+% of them.
It doesn't matter. word will spread via word of mouth, Usenet, message boards, whatever. There is nothing good about this and if Jake Burton had never been born I'd have had plenty of Sims or Wintersticks or any number of other boards to ride.

It doesn't matter. word will spread via word of mouth, Usenet, message boards, whatever. There is nothing good about this and if Jake Burton had never been born I'd have had plenty of Sims or Wintersticks or any number of other boards to ride.

If this really is his idea, he's not encouraging very passive resistance... more like an all out assult on the places. Great way to get equality for skiiers and boarders... war:AR15firin :smashfrea

id hate to disagree, but what hes promoting isnt war on skiers, its simply peaceful protest, they even set up guidelines, specifically asking you not to hurt anyone, to always buy a lift ticket for the place your poaching, and not break the law, among other things.its not about getting free rides and so forth. its about getting the point across that what theyre doing is wrong. stance based discrimination i tells ya

I gotta wiegh in here. Anybody that thinks skiing and boarding are different is a clueless ignoramous. they're not called board lifts. without the ski manufacturers we would still be hiking with glorified snurfers, bent pieces of plywood w/fins & rubber straps.

Without snowboarding revolutionizing shape & flex, skiers would still be struggling to turn on long skinny fence pickets, instead of easy turning snowboard shaped skis.

Jake is not boardgod. In 85 Tom's boards were better. It really comes down mountain ettiquet. Azzholes are azzholes be they on 1 stick or 2.

I could go on & on, but the horse has already been fed to the dog & scattered in the yard.

:argue::lurk::smashfrea

I gotta wiegh in here. Anybody that thinks skiing and boarding are different is a clueless ignoramous. they're not called board lifts. without the ski manufacturers we would still be hiking with glorified snurfers, bent pieces of plywood w/fins & rubber straps.

what? I agree that technology from one helped the other both ways (thank GOD (or whoever) that the snowboard shape came to skiing!) but the demographics of the participants are way different. Except for the niche group of alpine snowboards, I'd be they are just like the alpine skier group.

what? I agree that technology from one helped the other both ways (thank GOD (or whoever) that the snowboard shape came to skiing!) but the demographics of the participants are way different. Except for the niche group of alpine snowboards, I'd be they are just like the alpine skier group.

I agree, Also let's not forget there are skiers that are just like snowboarders/jibbers they just happen to be on skis, which they CLEARLY proved since they were able to get on the lift wearing skis!

So who/what exactly are these resorts banning? It seems to me that they want to ban the people, but they really they just ban the gear, and when decent people ride that certain gear, they get the shaft. :angryfire

What they really need to is ask people beore they buy a lift ticket is "are you young, dumb and full of ***?"

It seems to me that this whole poaching thing isn't really meant to change anybody's mind. To me it looks like a publicity stunt - something to get attention. Looks like it worked.

I think the video is kind of funny - although the girls physically messing with people seems to cross a line for me.

I don't really have an interest in any of the skier only mountains. It's somebody else's business and there are plenty of other great mountains. When I lived in Aspen 10 years ago they didn't allow boards on Ajax. I would have liked to have ridden there more for convenience as the lifts leave right from the edge of town, but whatever, between Highlands, buttermilk and Snowmass there was more than enough terrain.

Even though Burton posted rules for this video contest - I can't believe that they would be followed even remotely by some. It looks like more of a "here's some guidelines to get us off the hook when you get yourself into trouble."

Good sig, Divebomber :-) I bet they would get in because they are a non-threatening curiosity, much like recumbents are to road cycling.

We are more like the mountain bikers :biggthump And gangsta kids are the BMX'ers :rolleyes:

Has anyone here ever tried to get into one of these resorts with an alpine setup? Did you get in? I bet a lot of guys with narrow boards and high angles wouldn't have any problem. If kids in the lift line can believe that these aren't snowboards, certainly skiers could be fooled.

Here's my idea for poaching Taos:

Alpine board on one foot and a skate-ski on the other. Poles too.

I figure the skate-ski is small enough to tie onto your back when your boarding down the mountain and you can use the poles as discussed in the carving tips section here on BOL.

The only problem is I don't have UPZ boots to clip into the skate-ski, and all of my bindings are Intec.

Otherwise I think it's worth trying a half day lift at Taos on a full on alpine setup with poles. I think they'll be confused enough. The only problem I can see is if I remove my back foot to get on/off lifts they'll know it's a snowboard. Getting on/off a lift on a alpine setup with 50+ deg angles will be very uncomfortable to say the least (not to mention sketchy).

I don't see how they can turn you away if you have a "ski" on each foot despite one being 40cm and the other being 173cm...

From article: http://www.onthesnow.com/drupal/news/state/NM/454/news/2007/jan/27/taos-stays-snowboard-free-but-out-to-launch

“Skiers come here because we don’t have snowboarding,” says Marketing Director Adrianna Blake, “but we still have jibber terrain.”

Note this anonymous comment:

by Anonymous | November 21st, 2007 05:10 PM

"Last spring break my family went to Angel Fire. My children were 8 and 6 and had never been skiing. I wanted them to learn to ski first since my husband and I do not snowboard, we wanted to be able to help them. After a day of lessons they were ready to hit the slopes. Unfortunately, hit them, my son did, with the help of a snowboarder!!!!! Taos being snowboard free is the reason we choose to ski there after Christmas this year! Thank you Taos, let the boarders go where they want...we need a safe place!"

Taos promotes the same aggressive techniques that snowboarders pioneered. If it was just the snowboarding they were banning and not the people would they still cater to their skiers with terrain parks and half pipes? Note the anonymous comment above. I remember in late 80s and early 90s watching skiers collide frequently with a polite outcome, however if a snowboarder was involved all hell broke loose on part of the skier and their party, complaints are made, etc. Perhaps Taos would allow snowboarders a special pass after a rigorous background check, socioeconomic profile, their age was over 35 and have at least 2 children thus proving their family friendly nature.

Taos outright says that their skiers come there because there are no snowboarders. Its pretty nice riding at Angelfire, NM., Santa Fe, Red River as it seems all those kind of skiers are over on Taos and they can stay there.

Its pretty nice riding at Angelfire, NM., Santa Fe, Red River as it seems all those kind of skiers are over on Taos and they can stay there.

Yeah Angel Fire is great for lack of skiers!

Not to mention the park is off to the side (lift serviced) so most of the jibbers stay off the slopes as well. It's a win-win situation for carving. My only complaint would be all the traversing getting to runs-especially on the front side.

The thing that sets at least MRG apart is the terrain. It is the only natural-terrain-only mountain in Vermont. They don't make snow and they don't groom. So if you want trees and tough terrain, it's where it is at as far as Vermont goes. So it kinda bothers me that they don't allow boarders jsut because there is no other mountain like it in Vermont. There are also no novices there. They are not a family mountain, they're not there to get you started. They there for people who want the challenge. That's why their stickers say "Ski it if you can". That's not a jab at snowboarders actually, even though it can and is often taken that way.

The thing is that skiers don't see the difference between novice riders and advanced riders. Novice skiers stick to the bunny slope because they have to. They'd kill themselves on a black diamond. A novice snowboarder can go down black diamonds as soon as they can balance on an edge. So skiers see a rookie out there scraping the crap out of an otherwise advanced trail and they think all snowboarders do that.

So MRG so far as I can tell is the biggest offender of the negative and outdated steroetypes about snowboarders. It's not a business decision about offering an alternative to individuals who want a skiers-only resort. They genuinely believe that snowboards ruin the snow for skiers.

The other three, as far as I can tell, they are just offering an alternative

to skiers who want to eat in an all-skier lodge and go to the bathroom in an all-skier bathroom use drinking fountains that only skiers can use, and have their skier kids play with other skier kids without...

wait this all sounds familiar...

I'm just saying if Martin Luther King jr. were alive, his kids would be snowboarders and he'd be telling them to poach the crap out of those uptight monkeys.

What it does is by getting the skier-only mountains upset about it, it only points out how silly they are for being so upset about it.

My old roommate is an annual season pass holder at MRG and he goes there not for the skiers-only schtick but for the terrain. But it is pain in the ass for him because a lot of his friends snowboard (myself included) and it means he has to ski alone for most of the season. And to be honest, without a park and the jibber crap for the softbooters, the only snowboarders who would go there are the kind looking for the terrain. So there's no reason for them to hold on to it. It's really dumb.