Note to New Members ×

What makes the board turn?

Phil

I was just reading this thread:

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3556

That was my first visit to that forum, so I am not going to post there.

I have two questions. In my mind they are the same, but I think that a lot of people see them as different - feel free to see them either way.

1. What makes the board turn?

2. What movements (in order if possible) do you make to cause your board to turn?

Have at it...

1. sidecut radius.

2. hips, knees and ankles, along with a little toe movement.

that's the skinned down version of it. someone can expand on this i'm sure.

Something like that works for me too ... though I find that what works best for me (particularly on heelsides) is to try to look at and focus my shoulders on what I want to be the center of my carve radius before I start doing anything with the rest of my body. So for me I try to initiate the turn with my head/eyes and bring it down to my feet. I also like to push against my board progressively through my turn. But I think my body knows a lot more about what's going on when it's going on, than my mind does now sitting in front of a computer trying to describe it.

I know I've got it right when I feel like my knees and hips are really loaded up in the turn. Particularly the knees.

I can't say I'm advanced enough that anything that I do with my toes makes much of a difference :-)

2. What movements (in order if possible) do you make to cause your board to turn?

Have at it...

Unweight board ( one of four possible ways) move knee or knees toward new edge. (or if riding flat towards desired edge)

Lather, rinse, repeat as necesary.

Some move other things besides knee towards new edge, this almost always causes inefficiencies of one kind or another.

I was just reading this thread:

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3556

That was my first visit to that forum, so I am not going to post there.

I have two questions. In my mind they are the same, but I think that a lot of people see them as different - feel free to see them either way.

Have at it...

I will assume you're serious

http://www.amazon.com/How-Racers-Ski-Warren-Witherell/dp/0393303446

this link leads you to a book by warren witherell, pioneer in the art of the carve

your job is to get the board on edge and freeze, the boards job is to hookup and carve, it's line is dictated by mass, inertia and angle of deployment

it's all about how far on edge you can get the board, whatever it is you do to get it there doesn't matter, what matters is the angle you can rail, I love that picture of steph on her rear edge but I'm really looking at the board, it's railed, the fact that she's perfectly balanced makes it a great picture

OK

none of this counts if you touch the snow with anything but the edge of the board ;)

jmho