Note to New Members ×

Clydesdale class challenge.

carvedog

Looking at the calendar and figuring out that Sun Valley opens in one month, I am going to try to get my butt in shape a bit for the season. I am looking to loose 10 to 15 pounds in the next month so maybe I can fit in my snowboarding pants. I thought maybe some of you would like to join in. So to not make it too complicated pick an attainable goal of weight you would like to loose. Then choose two or three other small things you can do for better health. For me it is staying off booze ( for arthritis see below) and working out/hiking 2-3 times a week besides hunting. Could be yoga, the gym and a hike for some cross training.

Elk hunting was a good warmup ( not done yet ), but I have been working on some other things too. Quit tobacco two months ago - had one small relapse - and that seems to be working pretty good.

What kind of prompted this whole thing was some info I found while researching arthitis and other types of joint pain. (Which one you ask? Motocrossed ten years, high school football, 14 years teaching snowboarding, 10 years river guiding full time and a whole ration of other stupid stuff designed to ruin your body. Like night mtn biking without lights. :smashfrea:smashfrea Hit that tree in Montana left ankle, right knee two surgeries from motocross and snowboarding etc........

One disappointing item was the production of purines that was linked to consumption of beer :mad: . I may be oversimplifying this and if anyone knows better please chime in. There are proteins that crystalize in the joints that are known as gout or gouty arthitis. That protein/crystal thingy is linked to purines. Increased production of which seems to be linked to consumption of beer and over consumption of food as well. :( It seems like red wine in particular has no affect on these purines. Beer produces twice as much as any type of hard liqour.

So I have been off the beer for about two weeks and it does seem like everything is working a little smoother. :o Could be just my imagination but I will take whatever help I can get at this point. I am fired up to have a good season. :biggthump

Sometimes writing things down gives them power so that is what I am doing. What are you doing?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Ski Team Co-Captain is leading dry-land training today. His e-mail stated: We will probably spend less than two hours.....

I told him I was only planning on swimming for maybe half an hour :biggthump

I don't know how much I weigh but I would like to participate in this online thing. My goal therefore is to exercise four times within the next four weeks. (and I won't count my minimal daily stair rate of 474 stairs)

I'm ahead of you guys. I kicked my boot camp program off three weeks ago. I have been suffering ever since. Thanks to Terry for pointing me in the direction of "The New Rules of Lifting" ...

But anyway, even after three weeks, huge improvement. Haven't lost any weight but look a bit different. And there have been a few mornings where there was not enough oxygen in the gym.

So my goal by the end of November is to do Hypertrophy Workout II, Day 2 without having to stop and cry in the middle of sets. That should do it.

Looking for straight weight loss.

The Plan -

basicly working the weight watchers plan. for the first two weeks, I am eating solely vegetarian, or a weight watchers prepared meal (to ensure I stay within my points.

I am continuing to play soccer two days a week, and picking up an indoor team that will add another day or two.

I also plan to start up in the Gym after the first 10 pounds are gone, Focusing on cardio right off the bat, then starting to work in some core strength exercises.

why? cus right now I feel like a million bucks...In small change. really heavy, and generally useless in day to day activities...

so what's the plan? just write on here your progress?

i'd like to shape up... don't really need to lose weight per se but i want to be stronger/fitter

i started a running program and i was doing really well til my knees started killing me.

(years of dance will do that) f-ed up cartilage to the nth degree ... PLUS... i have an issue with being a bit top heavy so my chest was always in pain after running.

any ideas? should i walk instead and just make the walks longer distance?

also need help increasing my upper body/arm strength

swim.

walking is a waste of time. you really have to walk A LOT! to make any difference. check out a calories per hour site and youll see compared to anything else walking doesn't burn much. of course it is better than nothing but if your trying to get in shape its a slow route to take.

so what's the plan? just write on here your progress?

i'd like to shape up... don't really need to lose weight per se but i want to be stronger/fitter

i started a running program and i was doing really well til my knees started killing me.

(years of dance will do that) f-ed up cartilage to the nth degree ... PLUS... i have an issue with being a bit top heavy so my chest was always in pain after running.

also need help increasing my upper body/arm strength

Yes the plan for me is to just check in and let us know how it's going. If you don't check for a week then I am going to send the "Coach" to your house and see why you haven't been working out. :eek:

My knees and joints hurting me is what prompted this for me. I am going vertical with my walking/hiking. A couple of places that I can go have a steep uphill that I can circle around and go down a gentle slope for the return (easier on knees). I also ride a stationary bike when I can. I like this as I can crank for a while and read Rolling Stone or something and feel worked out and relaxed. Plus I am so not cool enough to take a spin class.

Yoga is going to be one of my primary workouts. On my own and a few classes to keep fresh. Done correctly it adds strength and flex and it's great for my back. Should help yours too Ais, but maybe that is only an issue when you run. A small set of weights even five pounders could do wonders for upper body tone. Maybe check with a physical therapist to get lined on a simple program that you can do at home. Swimming is great if you can get to a pool.

So I'm glad to have people check in with ideas and progress.

I think it is going to be a sick year and I want to be ready for it. :biggthump

I third the Swimming- its my only workout other than the stairs and walking. One of my favorite exercises is actually to put a pull buoy between my legs and do the crawl. Swimming is just great for everything although I don't know how effective it is for losing weight- I swam with many older women and most of them didn't seem to lose weight. We all got stronger though (fitter/firmer) :biggthump . I also found that it was more helpful to me than a chiropractor.

swim.

walking is a waste of time. you really have to walk A LOT! to make any difference. check out a calories per hour site and youll see compared to anything else walking doesn't burn much. of course it is better than nothing but if your trying to get in shape its a slow route to take.

yeah i am relatively fit, i want to be fitTER... finding somewhere to swim that doesn't cost me a kidney might be tough though...

however i should look into it, because i know swimming is one of the best things you can do especially when you have joint issues

thanks for the advice! :)

walking or swimming are the best bet. running burns muscle. Unless you are built like a kenyan it hurts. Joint pain and bust pain both.:lol: walking is great fat burning without sacrificing muscle mass. Guys, you don't want to lose your muscle mass or you won't retain the weight loss long term. you need the muscle to burn future calories. girls you may want to lose a little muscle depending on your shape goals but the same principal applies.

moderate weight bearing exercise is the key to building quality muscle mass. so if you are hitting a preseason weight routine and walking or swimming you are getting the best of both worlds.

the inline skaters among us are also doing fine no need to walk or swim for them.

I third the Swimming- its my only workout other than the stairs and walking. One of my favorite exercises is actually to put a pull buoy between my legs and do the crawl. Swimming is just great for everything although I don't know how effective it is for losing weight- I swam with many older women and most of them didn't seem to lose weight. We all got stronger though (fitter/firmer) :biggthump . I also found that it was more helpful to me than a chiropractor.

that's because they replaced fat with muscle!:biggthump muscle is heavier so less muscle is put on than fat is removed size wise.

I would encourage all of you to forget the scales and use a body fat measuring system or simple waist and neck measurements instead. weight is a poor indicator of fitness and strength. Just be sure to use the same method each time and use the same instrument or person to do the measuring so you get a consistent result. women will often maintain the same average weight and men will often gain weight as their fitness levels improve.

the inline skaters among us are also doing fine no need to walk or swim for them.

Other than the fact it is very close to pavement inline skating seems to be pretty cool work out wise. Is there some law that says you have to dress like a reject from an 80's workout video to inline skate? Don't want anybody questioning my manhood you know. :p

A manly way to rollerblade is to take a dog and then try to go faster longer than her.

Don't know if that would work - my Golden Malcolm, is 14 and has really slowed down this year.

We took him on his last river trip (multi-day anyway) earlier this month and while he enjoyed camp, getting into and around the raft was a big challenge. Glad I can lift a 100lb dog easily.

Come to think of it, he may be the only dog that I could out blade.

post-805-141842237378_thumb.jpg

I'm in. Plan is at least four 5AM Crossfit workouts per week.

Goal #1 - Get down to 195lbs

Goal #2 - 190lbs

Today fully dressed (boots, jeans, full pockets...) I was 219lbs, so probably 210lbs in reality.

I have been mountain biking a bunch this fall and working out for two weeks, the nice thing is that my knee has not bothered me at all!

Crossfit looks pretty cool.
The gf has been doing it for 5 or 6 months and has had great results, more so that her typical 1 to 1.5 hour workouts at the gym 6 days a week.

My problem is if I lift, I get big. That is not what I want at this stage in life. I have enough trouble finding pants that will fit my thighs and a$$ and not be 5 inches too big in the waist.:o

Weekly checkin: If you are in, then check in. :p

Food went pretty well this week. Other than the 8 or 10 twixes last night as I was guarding the candy dish and handing it out.

Got a couple of good stretches in, not quite yoga but almost.

No booze ( or beer anyway ) and that feels pretty good in the joints.

Other than that I suck. Pretty stressful week at work but that is such a pansy excuse. So I need to try harder. How are you all doing?