Note to New Members ×

VIRUS – fresh of the press

Ray

The Zylon color is cool, it's the natural color of the fiber, and it's got that fiber shimmer look to it. Love it or hate it I guess, but it looks tech. I like it.

I know a certain someone who has a Gladiator, but I refuse to ride it because I can't afford to fall in love with it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's the draw about these boards?

I hear conflicting accounts, I've been told that I'm not missing anything since I have a metal prior, that kesslers are better and so on and then I have people tell me the exact opposite or there is one guy that just tells me that at the price I'd pay for a virus just to get a tinkler.

pokkis, you've been on tinklers and metal prior(even if it does say Blackjack it's still a prior), have you been on the these fancy new Virii as well?

every board is different, and all are a blast to ride. Not so with the mainstream market (though i have seen a slight trend towards more directional shapes this season). Can anyone really say that theyve ridden a modern alpine board that wasn't worth riding?

Bobdea, we have few here, but comparing them is not easy as such cause it is always also personal reference what on likes and dislikes. I mean comparing Gladi to wide BJ or to luxuary Tinkler is very tough call cause all those boards are from totally different world. Perhaps more suitable call would be compare Gladi to Prior Metal WCR and even there are quite big differences on board setups. That might be something i could compare this winter, if i found time, cause we have bouth here and i might be able to get my hands on them.

Zylons are great boards, surely. But me personally dont lighten myself so much.

I mean for that price i can get Tinkler or two Pen/Priors. And with Tinkler i can adjust board behavíour according date and slope as i want.

But if i would have money enough i certainly would add one (perhaps) to my quiver, another story is then how much slope time board would get.

Even now my "titanal" Pogo Impact, is mainly gathering dust, and that is one great board.

As said once earlier i used to be guy who haited anything weider that 18cm but now i have found byuty of wider boards too. So last winter i spent my time quite equally between Tinkler TNT 178 and Pen BJ 821 (182cm) and then very small ammount on long Tinkie, Pogo or BJ 721. And this year it will be even more complicated to have now also Pen FJ there too, so let's see.

every board is different, and all are a blast to ride. Not so with the mainstream market (though i have seen a slight trend towards more directional shapes this season). Can anyone really say that theyve ridden a modern alpine board that wasn't worth riding?

You are fully correct, any MODERN alpine board is worth of riding.

Some are not necessary worth of buying but there are no real bad-apples anymore.

Most boards I have owned and tried during the last years (including Tinkler) cannot be compared against these Virus boards. The construction and materials used alone does not allow such comparison. BUT that’s just my opinion AND everybody is different!!!

You ask 10 people and get 11 different answers :rolleyes:

Find what YOU like most and ENJOY!

Also, Virus concentrates mostly to build boards to have tons of FUN with. Carving boards mostly, not racing, not freeride, but fun, extreme and still easy to use carving boards. Please keep in mind.

PIECE!

:ices_ange

bobdea,

it's 14.1 wide and my rear foot is turned up over 75, the pls are 1" high, gives me a lot more freedom before boot out, I just had to modify the pls a little

hans

bought the board last year from bola@ "allboardsports.com" frank hadn't made an inlaid titanal cyborg but has a pattern now if anyone else is interested

more viruses

two undertakers on the left, a black death and a zylon terminator, the terminatoe is mounted with 5/8th's" palmers, the black undertaker is mounted with 1" palmers

The silver undertaker is titanal, :1luvu:

I've seen several new constructions and desgins in Frank's factory yesterday. Very nice wood finish boards, something with a swallow-tail and snd so on. I think Frank will announce someting when season is started in November.

BTW: I don't like thy Zylon look either, but once you've ridden this flexible material you are stuck to it. Hmm, really like a spider-web.

is this the same zylon that is known to degrade? there was zylon that was in bullet proof vests that got taken off the market because it degrades allot faster than anyone thought it would. A few cops found this out the hard way.

it can only be safety rated for 30 months.

Bobdea,

for sure, Stability of Zylon is decreasing and is influenced by different factors. But which material is not? Just one thing: Zylon is aboiut 1.5 times more stable than carbon. Hey, if it looses 30% of it's ability in probably 5 years, You are in the region of carbon.

Zylon boards are completely different in comparison with Titanal. Titanal makes a board very calm and stable and takes flexibility from the board - more equalizing character. The Zylon boards are much more flexible and provide a more agressive feeling -> more reactive. It is not a question of better or not. It is a question of your preferences.

I have no idea what "can of worms" you are refering to... I was just making an observation. Besides, doesn't Frank make the Swoard anyway?

Thor, there are several topics about this. Virus has stopped the production of Swoard at the end of last season. For many reasons the cooperation with Swoard ended.