Note to New Members ×

VIRUS – fresh of the press

Ray

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bought the board last year from bola@ "allboardsports.com" frank hadn't made an inlaid titanal cyborg but has a pattern now if anyone else is interested

I might be mistaken, but I think Frank will not make the Undertaker or Cyborg in Titanal anymore, unless he has lots of free time. It can be done. But so far, ursle, you have the only ones ever made :biggthump

I might be mistaken, but I think Frank will not make the Undertaker or Cyborg in Titanal anymore... maybe only if he has lots of free time. But so far, ursle, you have the only ones ever made :biggthump

That's serious stuff, well ray, you know where they are if you need them...

(I tried to get a titanal black death but no go)

back to the eye candy

two undertakers 14.2

black death 14.1

terminator 17.1

Bobdea, we have few here, but comparing them is not easy as such cause it is always also personal reference what on likes and dislikes. I mean comparing Gladi to wide BJ or to luxuary Tinkler is very tough call cause all those boards are from totally different world. Perhaps more suitable call would be compare Gladi to Prior Metal WCR and even there are quite big differences on board setups. That might be something i could compare this winter, if i found time, cause we have bouth here and i might be able to get my hands on them.

Zylons are great boards, surely. But me personally dont lighten myself so much.

I mean for that price i can get Tinkler or two Pen/Priors. And with Tinkler i can adjust board behavíour according date and slope as i want.

But if i would have money enough i certainly would add one (perhaps) to my quiver, another story is then how much slope time board would get.

Even now my "titanal" Pogo Impact, is mainly gathering dust, and that is one great board.

As said once earlier i used to be guy who haited anything weider that 18cm but now i have found byuty of wider boards too. So last winter i spent my time quite equally between Tinkler TNT 178 and Pen BJ 821 (182cm) and then very small ammount on long Tinkie, Pogo or BJ 721. And this year it will be even more complicated to have now also Pen FJ there too, so let's see.

Pokkis, I think you have never ridden one!

The color is not everyones favorite, but if your (or your kids) poo looks like that, please meet your doctor!

We all know that your boards and your choice of boards are the ultimate challenge.

But there is one small thing!!!

I saw you riding in Sölden last year!

If that´s all you have to show, I´m thinking what do you adjust on your Tinklers or do you realize what the difference is between your boards exept of the length and the design!

The only thing I see is proclaiming against VIRUS in all forums.

Let everybody ride what he wants!

If you have to tell the users constructive critics let them know!

If not keep it for yourselve!

Hope to meet you for a ride in Aspen or somewhere else!

We can do all models in Titanal!

Swoard stopped the production at our factory

because they don´t want to increase the quality ( and pay a higher price for!) They switched to Nidecker and now can sell a series production board for a higher price. May the future show what the quality is now.

We freezed our production of wide boards for extremecarving 4 years ago as we began to wrk with swoard. now we restarted to make wide boards, with total different materials and shapes ( which the most of the 2 D Swoard changes I did!).

Our so called X-tremecarving boards have ellyptical sidecuts, carbon kevlar composite construction, full ash woodcores ( no weak spruce cores with two ash stripes in the insert area). All boards are custommade on the riders weight.

And that for a reatail price cheaper than a series Swoard !

This board is also availlable in a Titanal version!

We are really know what we are talking about, cause we built the most of the existing so called Extremecarving boards!

Sientific tests about Zylon showed that the aging of the material is less than 10 percent in a 5 years decade and that only if the material is affected by oxygen. Under the epoxy the material will keep his strength the same like carbon, Kevlar, titanal, glas fiber.... cause all materials are getting weak in their using process!

Most boards I have owned and tried during the last years (including Tinkler) cannot be compared against these Virus boards. The construction and materials used alone does not allow such comparison. BUT that’s just my opinion AND everybody is different!!!

You ask 10 people and get 11 different answers :rolleyes:

Find what YOU like most and ENJOY!

Also, Virus concentrates mostly to build boards to have tons of FUN with. Carving boards mostly, not racing, not freeride, but fun, extreme and still easy to use carving boards. Please keep in mind.

PIECE!

:ices_ange

In fact boards can and are compared here and everywhere frequently. It is the nature of differences and human interactions with the multitude of choices we have. I have also ridden Virus and literally hundreds of various snowboards of every make and model for over 23 years. The Virus snowboards are of very high quality and Frank is a craftsmen operating at a very high level. So are numerous other builders. Since we are sharing our personal experiences and opinions. Mine is that out of the dozens of current high end alpine snowboards that I have either owned or demoed. The Virus was in the pack of "mono-construction" high end boards. The model I purchased from Frank felt soft under my weight and pressuring. It rode well, yet fell far short of the "Duo-Construction" boards built by Mike Tinkler.

It appears to me that in general the Virus snowboards work well for the lighter riders that prefer very narrow boards. I loved the camber and sidecut, however the flex was soft and I was not infected. Perhaps the Tinkler anti-virus had already already immunized me? Enjoy what ever alpine snowboard you prefer and feel fortunate that we have such excellent choices.

The color is not everyones favorite, but if your (or your kids) poo looks like that, please meet your doctor!

We all know that your boards and your choice of boards are the ultimate challenge.

If that´s all you have to show, I´m thinking what do you adjust on your Tinklers or do you realize what the difference is between your boards exept of the length and the design!

So your comfortable with this statement, or do you think you may have overstepped what is fair and prudent?

I enjoyed meeting you at SES, I am thinking this is perhaps a bit out of character. Granted their may have been prior conversations we are not privy too. I wish you and your fine products many years of success.

I'm sorry if i offended you or your bords somehow, but unfortunately i can not find that on my comments.

Only "negative" i said is that zylon does not look good, as you say yourself also, and i commented pricing of zylon boards refering to other boards and i think that comment is corrct one.

I said also that look of board is not relevant how board works.

And what comes to dark history, i have bought 2 Viruses and been totally happy with them both.

What comes to my riding, all of us have our own riding skills and ways of riding. When i go to ride, i dont do that to show, i do it to have fun.

But we will meet again in Sölden ;) so from my side we can end this one here.

I too know that certain someone with said Gladiator! ;) I'm hoping he is feeling generous enough to let me take it for a test ride as I've been in the market for a new board for a few years! We'll see! :)

Don't do it guys, your wallet wouldn't like you :D. There is something about the ride quality of a Virus that other boards don't have. Ride it and you'll get infected :p

So your comfortable with this statement, or do you think you may have overstepped what is fair and prudent?

I enjoyed meeting you at SES, I am thinking this is perhaps a bit out of character. Granted their may have been prior conversations we are not privy too. I wish you and your fine products many years of success.

I´m always happy about constructive critics and I try to make everybodys wishes of the board he want´s to come true. We try make every board to match the riders skills and if he wants to have a stiffer board, I have never ridden a Tinkler, they look very good and handcraftly worked at the higes level. But its a total different board in comparison to a Gladiator or Berserker ( which are lots more aggressive!)

I don´t like if guys are surfing through different forums and try to make negative publicity without any knowledge of the product.

I have lots of respect for every custom board builder and every rider who shares his knowledge and experience to make our sports grow, but I don´t like guy which are only try to make negative publicty to push their own products!

Everybody has the right to speak free, why should shut up if somebody always trying to shoot against me!

It´s not the comparison Tinkler - Virus, every rider should have the free choice to buy what´s matching his skills best.

I hope you understand that´s not against you Brian, I only quoted your post!

After Thor hounded me to try one, then Ray and Frank set me up at SES, not only did my wife say it was okay to get infected, she let me do it again.

Tantalus 175 is an amzing ride and "little red" gets a try out this season. If anyone knows the name or any other information for "red" - let me know.

As for Frank and his building, they are A++ boards in looks, construction and ride. Having said that, I do have Donek, Madd, F2, Volkl and Prior boards and I ride all of them. Virus boards just have that something different which make them a great ride to offset the other guys.

Since everyone has an opinion, I can see why some people may not drool for one. Personally, they make me drool more than a St. Bernard in the middle of hot summer.

post-207-141842236342_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing something was lost in translation because that's a ballsy statement coming from a manufacturer. It reads like a personal attack against an individual on a public forum.

After Thor hounded me to try one, then Ray and Frank set me up at SES, not only did my wife say it was okay to get infected, she let me do it again.

Tantalus 175 is an amzing ride and "little red" gets a try out this season. If anyone knows the name or any other information for "red" - let me know.

As for Frank and his building, they are A++ boards in looks, construction and ride. Having said that, I do have Donek, Madd, F2, Volkl and Prior boards and I ride all of them. Virus boards just have that something different which make them a great ride to offset the other guys.

Since everyone has an opinion, I can see why some people may not drool for one. Personally, they make me drool more than a St. Bernard in the middle of hot summer.

That "Red" one was beefy!!

Ray what sort of goodies do you have coming?

I received my new custom Cyborg Zylon right before I went to Chile in August and had a blast with it! After a few days of riding I decided I want more (even more) torsional stiffness. So I ordered a second Cyborg (for those specific exteme days) with the identical core flex, but about 20% more torsional stiffness… classic design, all flat black, with black Virus decals, my favorite color combo. This should be the bomb, can’t wait to hit Ajax with it :eplus2:

Gladiator review

And oh yeah, get the damn thing tuned by someone who knows what they’re doing. Your riding will be better for it and the Gladiator will be, well, armor less without it. Like the Black Adder without the codpiece.

Enjoy.

that goes for all your boards, in particular Priors, they come out of the factory with a crap tune.

that said my metal WCR is the best all around carver I have been on thus far, and I do have a metal coiler as well.

Why do your guys ride such narrow boards?

@Bobdea: Why not?

@Bob Jenny: Good review. Similar to my experiences on the Gladi - especially the rocket feeling at the end of the turn. Push it from your rear leg and the board will throw you up into the next turn.

Just a comment on the soft nose: You have to get used to it, but it makes sense. You will notice that, when riding this board in soft or bumpy conditions, or in powder.

Let me also add a pic of my babies.....

As for the review, my views are very similar. Also agree with Pogokoenig, the soft nose (although a bit surprising from Virus) makes the board absorb unevennesses better. You have to be completely centered and balanced, then it will just click.

Zylon indeed is an amazing material, could not describe the feeling better than the previous comments, you just try it end feel it.

As this thread has become a Virus thread (and I guess it's obvious from the pic that I'm a Virus fan) to be balanced I would also add some criticism:

- customer service I think suffers a bit nowadays.... delays, unanswered e-mails.... I guess Frank is too busy

Kindest

post-2318-141842236348_thumb.jpg

SO.

Here is the BIG question.

With the exchange rate so good (for other countries), what are we looking at for prices on these now?

If it (Bob's) was $1800 2 years ago, are we looking at $2500-$3000??????????

A range is fine, I am not looking for actual, hard numbers.