Note to New Members ×

$104,655.60 Ad in the Washington Post

Recon

Here is someone with the money to fund a rebuttal to what Howard Dean, Democratic National Committee Chairman, said recently that many Republican have never done an honest day's work in their life. The following full page ad was placed in the Washington Post by a businessman named George J. Esseff, Sr. He paid $104,655.60 to run the ad and only did it because he is sick and tired of the way that "the rich" are portrayed by liberals these days. It is a great read.

Maybe you're a Republican?

In today's America ask a growing number of high school and college students, their teachers and professors, the self-anointed media elite and/or hard working men and women of all ethnicities, the question, "What is a Republican?" and you'll be told ".. a rich, greedy, egotistical individual, motivated only by money and the desire to accumulate more and more of it, at the expense of the environment, the working poor....and all whom they exploit..."

I am a Republican - And I am none of those things....and I don't know any Republicans who are!

WHAT I AM first and foremost, is a loving husband of some 52 plus years, the father of four and an American who's proud of his country...and his country's heritage

WHAT I AM is the grandson of immigrants who risked every-thing, including their lives and those of their children, to escape tyranny in search of freedom.

WHAT I AM is a man who grew up during the Depression and witnessed first hand the effects of the Stock Market crash and the soup lines that followed. I watched as both my parents and grand parents, who had very little themselves, share what food they had with a half dozen other families, who had even less.

WHAT I AM is someone who worked his way through college by holding down three and four jobs at a time and then used that education to build a better life.

WHAT I AM is a husband who at age 24 started his own business for the "privilege" of working 60, 70 and 80 hours a week, risking everything I had including my health, in search of a better life for myself and my loved ones.

WHAT I AM is a businessman whose blood, sweat and tears....and plenty of them..., made it possible for me to provide a secure living not only for my family and myself, but also for literally hundreds of my employees throughout the years. Employees who in turn were able to buy their own homes, raise their own families and give back to their communities and their country.

WHAT I AM is a man who believes in God; a God who has blessed this country... and all for which it stands.

WHAT I AM is someone who knows, if you doubt miracles exist in today's world, you need only to look into the face of those who received them....and the eyes of those who give them.

WHAT I AM is an American who's proud that his President embraces a belief in God; proud of a President who understands, as "politically incorrect" as it may be, there is evil in this world and for the security and safety of all freedom loving people everywhere, it must be confronted...and it must be defeated.

WHAT I AM is an American who takes comfort in the knowledge that our President refuses to allow decisions concerning the very safety and security of this nation, to be governed by the political whims of foreign governments.

WHAT I AM is tired of hearing from leading Democrats who see only negativity in America; racism in her people; class warfare in her society and "political incorrectness" in her character.

WHAT I AM is a former democrat who now understands that it is the soldier and not the reporter that guarantees us our freedoms of press, speech and dissent.

WHAT I AM is a man who believes in the sanctity of life. A man who is repulsed by the pandering of the political left for votes, at the expense of the unborn.

WHAT I AM is a husband and father who believes in the sanctity of marriage and the preservation of the family unit.

WHAT I AM is a ex-movie goer who is repulsed by those insecure, socially inept, elementary thinking, ego-inflated "entertainers" who have appointed themselves "experts" in the fields of national security and geo-politics and then use their forum to attack this nation, its leaders and its actions....much to the delight and encouragement of our enemies.

WHAT I AM is an American who understands the difference between "censorship" and "choice." Evidently, these individuals do not, because when these same "celebrities" receive public ridicule for their offensive actions, the first thing they yell is "censorship." What they seem incapable of understanding is...the right of free speech and dissent is shared equally by those offended...as well as those who offend. I support and will continue to support those films and performers whom I choose to and refuse to support those I don't. It is my right as an American a right I will continue to enthusiastically exercise.

WHAT I AM is a voter, tired of politicians who every time their voting records are subjected to public scrutiny, try to divert attention from their political and legislative failures by accusing their opponents of "attack ads" and "negative campaigning"....and the news media who allow them to get away with it.

WHAT I AM is a Catholic who loves his God and his Faith....and who's been taught to respect all religions whose teachings are based in love, peace and charity. As such, I am embarrassed and ashamed of those individuals in both private and public life whose decisions and actions are devoid of any sense of character or morals; individuals who are only driven by what's best for them....rather than what's right... often times at the expense of many....including our national security.

WHAT I AM is a realist who understands that the terrorist attack that murdered hundreds of innocent Russian children could have occurred here, in our heartland. That's why I sincerely believe America needs now, more than ever, a President who sees with a clear and focused vision and who speaks with a voice when heard by both friend and foe alike is understood, respected and believed.

WHAT I AM is eternally grateful to Ronald Reagan for having the bravery to speak out against Communism and the courage of his convictions in leading the fight to defeat it; and George W. Bush for the vision, courage, conviction and leadership he has shown in America's war on terrorism amidst both the constant and vicious, personal and political attacks both he and his family are made to endure.

WHAT I AM is a human being, full of numerous faults and failures, but a man nonetheless who though not always successful has continually strived to do "what's right" instead of "what's easy." A man who is challenging the religious leaders of all faiths, to not only preach to their congregations the fundamentals of "what's right" and "what's wrong," but to also then hold them accountable for their actions in both the public and private sectors.

WHAT I AM is disgusted with the Courts who on one hand call the murder of a pregnant woman a "double homicide," but then refer to the abortion of her baby as "pro-choice".

WHAT I AM is someone deeply troubled by a political party which embraces a candidate whose primary "leadership" qualities center around his protesting of the Vietnam war and his labeling the honorable men and women who fought in it, (50,000 of whom gave their lives in that action), as rapists, and war criminals (John Kerry). That same political party then stepped forward this year to block the appearance of a true Vietnam war hero, retired Admiral and former United States Senator, Jeremiah Denton, (a man who spent seven years and seven torturous months in a North Vietnam prison), from speaking before an open session of the California legislature as part of that state's 4th of July celebration. The reason Democrats gave for refusing to allow this American hero to speak! before their state legislature was because of the "conservative" nature of his views. As an American, that troubles me deeply....as well it should you. (Are you listening Mr. D?)

WHAT I AM is a man who feels the need to spend, ONE HUNDRED & FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED & FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS ($104, 655.60, tax paid) of his own money, to purchase this advertisement, in order to set the story straight. Some may say this money would have been better spent feeding the world's poor. At the risk of sounding self-serving, as an American and as a Republican, for the last six decades of my life, I have done exactly that...and more. Following the examples of my parents and grand parents, I have used my earnings to feed the poor, shelter the homeless, provide housing for the elderly and medical care for the sick.....and continue to do so...and I'm not alone in that work.

WHAT I AM is someone who is paying for this announcement at my sole expense in hopes of opening the eyes of those led blindly by ill-informed elements of our great nation, who, through either ignorance, or malicious intent, repeatedly attack and belittle those of us who belong to a political party that holds true to the belief, "The rights of the governed, exceed the power of the government." For those interested, I am speaking only as a tax-paying individual who is in no way associated with the Republican National Committee, nor with any of its directors, or delegates.

WHAT I AM is a man who understands, "the American way of life" is a message of self-empowerment for all.

WHAT I AM is an American who is grateful that our nation gives each of us the opportunity of self-determination and the right to benefit from the fruits of self achievement.

WHAT I AM is an American who wants to preserve that way of life for all who seek it.

WHAT I AM is blessed to be an American.... and proud to be a Republican.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those same people who define republicans unrelentingly as

"a rich, greedy, egotistical individual, motivated only by money and the desire to accumulate more and more of it, at the expense of the environment, the working poor....and all whom they exploit..."

Define themselves as "open minded, peace loving, non-discriminatory, loving to all..."

Last year in my girlfriend's dorm, the people in the room next to her had a sign up to that effect, defining themselves as these open-minded blah blah blah people and classifying all other people as the "evil republican". A quick note scribbled on a post-it and stuck onto said sign pointing out the hippocracy and inherent contradiction of their statements, and they came over and apologized and took the sign down.

Almost 225 years ago, George Washington warned about almost exactly what we're going through today- a clash of political parties and followers of them blinded by them and their rhetoric :smashfrea . Saddest thing is that today, G.W. himself wouldn't stand a chance of being elected...

I vote republican more often than not, and I would call myself "more republican than not" if asked, but I don't let it tie me down. Last mid-term election that we had, I voted for a Democrat and a Republican. I believe in balance more than anything, and I'm sticking to it.

BTW, political posts are reeeaaaallllyyyyy risky around here :lurk: .

Just want to make sure you all don't make generalizations about liberals in the same way that Howard Dean makes generalizations about Republicans.

Yeah, I've met my fair share of "open minded" liberals who immediately hate anybody that doesn't agree with them, but I've also met my fair share of conservatives who think all the liberals are terrorist-loving America-hating defeatocrats bent on destroying the fabric of the American family.

Just remember that there are reasonable people on both sides of the aisle.

Just remember that there are partisan people on both sides of the aisle.

Fixed. (With partisan meaning - someone who firmly identifies as belonging to one political affiliation, who considers those of other political affiliations as being both very, very wrong and utterly possessed of absolute unchangeable [and immoral or evil] opinions that are focused on destroying the life, country, society, culture, and family of others.)

This is why I hate partisan politics. The either/or setup means that polarization, and the dehumanizing of the "enemy" is very nearly inevitable.

Why can't I support some policies from one side that I agree with, while supporting other policies that are "politically opposed"? Why do two-party systems (left/right) have these particular groupings of policies or political ideologies, and force me to choose one or the other?

I'd much rather just vote for individual policies, or for individuals who I believe possess integrity, honesty, the will to do what they set out to do, and a true intention to do good than decide if I want to compromise some of my values for others.

I am very much tired of the "Liberals are evil"/"Conservatives are evil" mudslinging. It's bad enough that upon occasion, one party will refuse to back the other's attempt to do something that both parties likely think is the right thing.

Well I posted this thread ! Knowing That yes it would be controversial!

We have a divide country on this issue/ My family is even divided on this !

However If we can get past the name throwing all can learn from the debate !

I would encourage all To read this book ////Culture Warrior- By O'Reilly///It looks at both sides/ & Bill, Although I don't agree with every thing he says / Covers it very well ! Sooooooooo The challenge is Read it Then have a discussion !

Culture Warrior

Billy boy is a jack ass, even most hardcore conservatives that are capable of seeing beyond talking points and independant thought can see that.

from the above post it's obvious that you supports states that are closely linked with religion, so if your vision of the US is something like taliban era Afganistan, Iran or Saudi Arabia by all means continue post stuff like this.

Republicans in general are ****ing dense, a group that is easily the most corrupt political force in the US that is willing toss ethics out the window as well as go against their core values to make sure a select few (like defense contractors) get their way.

I have allot less problems with people that are Barry Goldwater types. you know, the ones that understand personal responsibility and live by it? That also understand why we can't have a nanny state for Haliburton and don't give a **** what YOU do in your OWN house as long as it does not hurt them, not this fake ass **** that we see out of modern republicans that basically wants to set up a pro-corparate theocracy.

I'm no Dem here talking either so don't start that argument, that's right be scared, I'm that far left with a occasional sprinkling of far right(libertarian) ideas.

had you knew posting political response as risky avenue, you wouldn't risk posting it, would you? :biggthump

bro...english?

Recon, we're encouraged to avoid political discussion here.

the reason? "Political parties" make people idiots.

If we can get past the name throwing all can learn from the debate !

I would encourage all To read this book ////Culture Warrior- By O'Reilly///

Bill O'Reilly isn't interested in any debate. He is the enemy of debate. All he wants to do is shout rhetoric from his side and ensure that the very word "liberal" is seen as an insult. I'm very thankful we have very little of this sort of crap in Canada.

Recon, I have listened to and read some of O'Reilly, and that guy is a partisan attack dog. I don't disagree with everything he says, but he is a prime example of somebody who picks and chooses or fabricates facts to support his position, and a prime example of somebody who demonizes his opponents instead of arguing from a logical position.

Your challenge, in return, is to watch anything by Michael Moore, and then understand that the way you feel about the guy personally, the skepticism you apply to every sentence, the distain you feel for the hate he has for things he doesn't agree with, and the giant gaps of logic you see in his arguments, are exactly what liberals see when they watch or read O'Reilly, and neither the lefties watching O'Reilly or the righties watching Moore are wrong, in my opinion. Where they are wrong is in not seeing the hate, and not applying the skepticism when they see the guy on their own side.

See:

Confirmation Bias

The study was carried out during the pre-electoral period of the 2004 presidential election on 30 men, half who described themselves as strong Republicans and half as strong Democrats. During a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scan, the subjects were asked to assess contradictory statements by both George W. Bush and John Kerry. The scans showed that the part of the brain associated with reasoning, the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, was not involved when assessing the statements. Conversely, the most active regions of the brain were those involved in processing emotions (orbitofrontal cortex), conflict resolution (anterior cingulate cortex) and making judgment about moral accountability (posterior cingulate cortex).[3]

Dr. Westen summarised the work:

“ None of the circuits involved in conscious reasoning were particularly engaged. Essentially, it appears as if partisans twirl the cognitive kaleidoscope until they get the conclusions they want, and then they get massively reinforced for it, with the elimination of negative emotional states and activation of positive ones.... Everyone from executives and judges to scientists and politicians may reason to emotionally biased judgments when they have a vested interest in how to interpret 'the facts'.[4]

Also scroll down to "Polarization Effect":

In 1979, Lord, Ross and Lepper conducted an experiment to explore what would happen if they presented subjects harboring divergent opinions with the same body of mixed evidence. They hypothesized that each opposing group would use the same pieces of evidence to further support their opinions. The subjects chosen were 24 proponents and 24 opponents of the death penalty. They were given an article about the effectiveness of capital punishment and were asked to evaluate it. Then, the subjects were given detailed research descriptions of the study they had just read, but this time it included procedure, results, prominent criticisms and results shown in a table or graph. They were then asked to evaluate the study, stating how well it was conducted and how convincing the evidence was overall.

The results were congruous with the hypothesis. Students found that studies which supported their pre-existing view were superior to those which contradicted it, in a number of detailed and specific ways. In fact, the studies all described the same experimental procedure but with only the purported result changed.[9]

At least American political parties are only shooting rhetoric at each other... They've got it way worse over in the middle east. As disgusting as ignorant political zealots seem around here, I always remember that it could be worse.

(note: "... disgusting as ignorant political zealots ..." does not intend to imply that all political fanatics are ignorant)

Our history is full of assasinations and attempts thereof,a civil war,riots between factions that were generally made up of people from opposing parties,abortion clinic shootings...one can only imagine the amount of shooting that might take place if one party tried to actually take away assult rifles and handguns as gun control,while there are certainly exceptions to towing the party line,tends to be lobbied for and against along party lines.Every country,even ours, has it's extremists.

Here is someone with the money to fund a rebuttal to what Howard Dean, Democratic National Committee Chairman, said recently that many Republican have never done an honest day's work in their life. The following full page ad was placed in the Washington Post by a businessman named George J. Esseff, Sr. He paid $104,655.60 to run the ad and only did it because he is sick and tired of the way that "the rich" are portrayed by liberals these days. It is a great read.

Maybe you're a Republican?

WHAT I AM is someone deeply troubled by a political party which embraces a candidate whose primary "leadership" qualities center around his protesting of the Vietnam war and his labeling the honorable men and women who fought in it, (50,000 of whom gave their lives in that action), as rapists, and war criminals (John Kerry).

I know better than to post in political threads, but with the season winding down, I'm a little restless, so...

I'm also deeply troubled - deeply troubled that an unlawfully elected (at least the first time around) Chief Executive who used his privileged background to <b><i>evade</i></b> his own military service is now sending thousands of young Americans to fight and die in Iraq. Say what you want about John Kerry, but he served his time (earning 3 Purple Hearts in the process), and drew his conclusions from what he saw on the front lines.

The abysmal results of GW's pet war in Iraq shows that he's applying what he learned while AWOL from his cushy National Guard assignment - nothing.

that quote of mine was a comment to Justin's post and him knowing/admitting its risky to post a political response.

Me? I would never :ices_ange .

I'm very thankful we have very little of this sort of crap in Canada.

Oh don't give me that crap. You may not have it in SK, but I sure hear plenty of it here. The other theory goes that since you grew up with it, you don't notice it as much. I don't notice it much back home in NH, and I actually pay attention there because I need to vote- here I don't pay attention and I hear plenty of it, in addition to Canadians debating about american politics :rolleyes: .

Yeah...we've got it here as well. Just...not so much, relatively. Still a lot though.

I know quite a number of conservatives and liberals (or of other affiliations) who quite simply cannot accept that another political party could do anything good.

I know liberals who think the conservatives are evil incarnate. I know conservatives who think the liberals are evil incarnate. I know conservatives who believe that their party can do no wrong. I know liberals who believe their party can do no wrong.

I enjoy shooting both down when they are foolish about pursuing the "party line" in an illogical manner. It's as though many who identify as belonging to a political party (partisans) see it as defining their beliefs and values, rather than the other way around.

Actually, since we're deep into politics, I'll comment on our last election:

Best possible result: Minority conservative government - the liberals get smacked down for some corruption scaldal issues, but we do not get a conservative government that can do whatever it wants without getting agreement from at least some non-conservatives. Actually, the federal conservatives have been rather nice this time around, even going so far as to chastise our provincial conservatives for their privatization programs and attempts.

I like minority governments, which is why I want proportional representation. Well, that and the fairly major facet of getting more than two viable political parties, although if I could I'd do away with parties altogether. We really need to get on that...(either/or/both)

Recon - nice post, appreciate it...

I am a Republican.

Please please please do not throw out that ****ing moron Bill O'reilley as a spokesman for republicanism. the guy is a windbag who will not listen to or consider opposing points of view. He and his brand of bull**** pseudo journalism deserve to be placed in the same garbage can as Michael Moore and his crap, doused in gasoline, and set on fire.

...somebody who picks and chooses or fabricates facts to support his position, and a prime example of somebody who demonizes his opponents instead of arguing from a logical position.

That's why I don't argue with too many people, despite really enjoying arguing. In some cases I don't talk to certain people because I know we'll get in some kind of argument.

Making it worse, is that those type of people that I do meet tend to not have the patience or attention span to listen to what I'm saying, and usually cut me off just before the end of the first sentence. Hence my preference for non-realtime, written communication like e-mail or message boards. :)

Ah, that's what it's called ! I always wanted to know the real name for it. I always referred to it as the College Student Protester Method.

Talk about timing. I just saw an episode of Family Guy last night, which covered this very topic. It was the one where one of the characters (I believe she's the mom. I don't watch the show, so I'm guessing) is running in some election. It was pretty funny.

'later...

Why can't I support some policies from one side that I agree with, while supporting other policies that are "politically opposed"? Why do two-party systems (left/right) have these particular groupings of policies or political ideologies, and force me to choose one or the other?

I'd much rather just vote for individual policies, or for individuals who I believe possess integrity, honesty, the will to do what they set out to do, and a true intention to do good than decide if I want to compromise some of my values for others.

I feel the same way. Well said.

'later...

Recon - nice post, appreciate it...

I am a Republican.

Please please please do not throw out that ****ing moron Bill O'reilley as a spokesman for republicanism. the guy is a windbag who will not listen to or consider opposing points of view. He and his brand of bull**** pseudo journalism deserve to be placed in the same garbage can as Michael Moore and his crap, doused in gasoline, and set on fire.

Most of us on the right side and beyond refer to him as "that Leprechaun":lol:

If we are talking about talk show hosts the only right winged one that isn't in some incestuous relationship with the party is Michael Savage and some days he's a little crazy.

I hope everyone is aware that these people are in the entertainment business not the government business. they get paid to piss you off. The more controversial they are the better the ratings and the bigger the paycheck.:freak3:

That absolutely includes both sides of the aisle. Mr Moore is no exception.

I have no obections to a political discussion because its places like this where people already share common interests, that the realization that we are not so different occurs. I have noticed a strong shift in values among the party whining lately that is interesting. All of a sudden Libs are standing up for individual rights other than free speech. Republicans look more and more like Liberals every day. When I talk to people I find that the split on ideas is nearly 90 degrees off of the party line. I don't think the parties, either one, care a spit about their constituency any more. They are both up to their ears in Corporate lobbyist money. Hard to know where to start the cleanup process:angryfire

What ever happened to our government actually being run by individuals who actually represented the people? It is a shame that it takes so much in the form of resources (time, money, know the "right" people), that only the very rich and well connected can become elected politicians. I think that anyone who can make it to the congress, senate, or presidency, only does it by selling out to special interest. I know that is a cynical view, but how else do you explain the crazy things our government does in the name of the American People?

While I consider myself to be republican, I still think a woman has the right to decide what happens to her body. I think drugs should be legalized. I think prostitution should be legal in all states. And living in Ca, I desperately hope that the imagration laws on the books will some how be enforced before the state language becomes spanish.

Sorry, starting to ramble, I will get off of my soap box now.

I have noticed a strong shift in values among the party whining lately that is interesting. All of a sudden Libs are standing up for individual rights other than free speech. Republicans look more and more like Liberals every day. When I talk to people I find that the split on ideas is nearly 90 degrees off of the party line.

I couldn't agree more - both lefties and righties are getting pressured in such a way that our priorities are gradually aligning. Who gives a fig about a disagreement on prayer in schools when (for example) our food supply is unsafe, or the government is wiretapping without warrants?

I don't think the parties, either one, care a spit about their constituency any more. They are both up to their ears in Corporate lobbyist money. Hard to know where to start the cleanup process:angryfire

Amen to that. I'd take a Republican with integrity over a Dem with a fat corporate bankroll any day. Don't know that there's such a thing as a politician with integrity on either side of the aisle though.