Note to New Members ×

What are the pros & cons to a rounded tail...

Jeffrey Day

Guest sandarapark
You bet. Variations are endless:

Square, flat

Square, rounded corners, flat

Square, rounded corners, upturned

Square, tapered corners, flat

Square, tapered corners, upturned

Square, chamfered corners, flat

Square, chmfered corners, upturned.

Then apply all of the variations above to rounded or elliptical tail.

Then apply the split, swallow or fish tail variations to both of the above groups.

Then consider asym variations to all of the above...

:D :D :D

So, which kind of "round tail" is being talkedabout here?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ridden both from multiple manufacturers and my preception is that the rounded off tails are slightly smoother in the transition, but if I want to get the board to "pop" comming out of a turn, that the lack of that last bit of edge makes for a soft release with less "pop". . . I personally dont like it, but understand why those whom do . . . do. ( i said doo doo)

If you took a madd 158 and rounded the tail, I dont think people would like it. but take a board that is supposed to be a smooth damp ride (like these metal boards) and the rounded tail is a match.

and for the record. . . effective edge does matter quite a bit.

Guest sandarapark

I mean, is it the;

Square, flat

or

or

or

or

or

or

sorry for the misunderstandng

Well, in the case of my post above, and the product mentioned by the original poster, the tail is rounded and up-turned.

And, based on my experience, what Todd says is true regarding "pop" out of the turn. (I DO know that Todd has some, uh, reservations with regards to the Prior product ;)

I've really enjoyed this feature on this particular deck.

I mean, is it the;

Square, flat

or

or

or

or

or

or

sorry for the misunderstandng

I think we are talking about the square with rounded corners and a 2" or less upturn. Not like a freestyle board which is round and turned up.

Bubba: Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea.

Dude, if you can remember all that by heart, either you are talented or have no life. :biggthump

effective edge doesn't mean much other than how long the edge is between point A and B which is all good but with different sidecut geometries it becomes something that is less signifigant than say running length

(I DO know that Todd has some, uh, reservations with regards to the Prior product ;)

Im not 100% sure what you mean by this, I have the utmost respect for the prior boards, especially the metals.

when it comes to the effects of different tails shapes, most of the comparisons I have done have not been on the prior product line, but I believe the difference in how the boards behave due to tail design hold true regardless of manufacturer or construction.

edit: PS: whatever benefit may exist . . . is cancelled out for me when the board falls over while leaning up against the wall . . . DOH!

I'm with TB on this, the only time I notice that my Prior metal has a rounded tail is when I go fakie for whatever reason (planned or not). Oh yeah, and when I try to lean it against the wall. Otherwise it's invisible. If you think the rounded tail gives you less to push on, just move your bindings forward. It's all about effective edge, not tip and tail shape, Shred proved that.

• 4 months later...
so you say rounded tail on longer boards just adds unwanted weight and has no benefits even on uneven terrain?

Who/Where is this information coming from :confused::confused:

i say longer boards because i'm thinking of getting a Prior Metal 187 or something similar...

Groov, if you can, demo one first. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

It's all about effective edge, not tip and tail shape, Shred proved that.

What exactly did Shred proove?

While effective edge is an important component affecting the board's stability at speed, I would say that "It's all about effective edge" is a stretch. What kind of terrain? Snow conditions? Appication (race, freecarve, all-mtn., etc)? Depending on your application, tip & tail profiles are definitely going to be a variable in the equation.

Maybe we need to define what "it's" is ;)

Eric, I understand the concept of "pop" (or whatever term you want to use) at the end of a turn and how tail shape/configuration can affect that...as well as other board variables.

I was just a little confused as to how Ursle's response really related to my earlier comment.

Interesting enough, I've ridden a fair share of of square-tail decks (with and without taper) and can say that the rounded-tail Prior had as much or more of this perceived "pop" that we speak of than some of the square tails I've been on. This perception obviously varies from rider to rider.

I think you'll see most of (if not all) metal boards going to some sort of rounded tail design simply for durability and torsional stiffness. It adds a level of rigidity to the tail that doesn't exist with the traditional square tail. The metal designs are so thin and soft that they almost "need" to have some sort of torsional stiffness added at the tail. Then there's the problem of the rider that likes to stuff the tail of the board into the snow on his way to lunch... OUCH.

Eric, I understand the concept of "pop" (or whatever term you want to use) at the end of a turn and how tail shape/configuration can affect that...as well as other board variables.

I was just a little confused as to how Ursle's response really related to my earlier comment.

Interesting enough, I've ridden a fair share of of square-tail decks (with and without taper) and can say that the rounded-tail Prior had as much or more of this perceived "pop" that we speak of than some of the square tails I've been on. This perception obviously varies from rider to rider.

I thik he just replied to the last thread, i didn't assume it was addressing your comments (but?). And I didn't mean "pop" as latent energy release (ala ol' Prior SL's), but actually leaning and and demi-ollieing (as in, the action of popping). Clear as mud? :D

What exactly did Shred proove?

While effective edge is an important component affecting the board's stability at speed, I would say that "It's all about effective edge" is a stretch. What kind of terrain? Snow conditions? Appication (race, freecarve, all-mtn., etc)? Depending on your application, tip & tail profiles are definitely going to be a variable in the equation.

Maybe we need to define what "it's" is ;)

I am at a total loss as to what shred proved, but I am certain of what it is :D

Using the tail to hook and boost, or "pop". I like square tails with taper for this reason. I can use the tail to hook, but am not "forced" to.

This opens up a whole new can of worms! depending on sidecut geometry you can vary the degree of said HOOK. The identity fans among us love them because their geometry controls the hookability rather than the tail. the standards have a tighter radius in the front so they hook up instantly when you lay them over but the radius relaxes as it goes back allowing you to unhook and pop into the next turn at will. No more getting "stuck" in a turn. this doesn't work well for racers back in the pack since a rutted course doesn't need to hook up so easy and it really needs to hold the turn further through the turn. Johns answer to this was to build some boards backwards so to speak. the geometry reversed allows the racer to hold the turn as long as needed through a rutted out gate. As your standings improve and the need changes you go back to the standard board. So much more to it than just a round sidecut:biggthump

I've always ridden rounded tails. I tried a friends flat (square) tail last season, and it is a different style of ride and turn finishing onit. If you try to slide through turns with a flat tail, you are getting broke at some point. It is more of a "hop-chop" style turn in which you need to be quick on the edge change. IME, the last foot of a board is a key part to what and how you are riding on. FOr northeast conditions... unless it is really good conditions with fresh snow and groomers with a thick packed base that is soft enough to get a good bite into, I'll always reccommend a rounded tail over a square hands down. Another factor is that riding fakie or switch at anypoint on a flat tail is near impossible, and on crowded slopes, you really need to be able to do that........ even on a carver.:nono:

have more imaginary pros and cons of a flat tail than there actually are as far as ride differences

I've ridden allot of boards and my reasoning is specific. I have been on boards that are the same board but one has more tail to it and for forward riding the only difference that's worth a damn if you're way in the back seat (where you should not be) or if you're switch but that's obvious. any other differences are really subtle.

with the metal boards I suspect it has more to do with durability than anything else. I'd have to ask a builder though to really speak with authority.

I do have a tail put on all my boards BTW, I just think you guys are way over analyzing this

I've always ridden rounded tails. I tried a friends flat (square) tail last season, and it is a different style of ride and turn finishing onit. If you try to slide through turns with a flat tail, you are getting broke at some point.

Why would you want to slide a turn anyway? :lol: