Favorite Riding Conditions

abakker

Favorite Riding Conditions  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Riding Conditions

tex1230 said:

"Donner Summit or later?

I rode with those guys for a couple of months in '91"

....before, at Boreal, in '90 (of the '90-91 season, when Burton's best showed their loyalty and stayed with cross-M, whcih landed a team ride with Hot) , when Donner was still dry, and Boreal had manmade, then later that season (90-91) at Donner when they finally got snow.

....clearly you and I met. Jim Rippey was cut from the team two weeks after I came on (he and I were both banned from Boreal for accidentally riding through their 'slow' signs at the base, ripping two of them in half), Mike Kildevaeld trained with us shortly for a couple weeks a month or so later....Kurt Torvig was the assistant coach,( this the season before he began his own program at Squaw).

Jerry and Tara picked my teammate and myself up from our Truckee digs each morning, some mornings one of us would have to ride in the bed of Jerry's pickup, next to his and Tara's dirtbikes (we were thankful when Shaun Palmer bought Jerry's RM, we had more room for the morning commute) ...colder mornings Tara would squeeze us both into the cab.

Tara remains the most solid personality I've ever encountered in snowpsorts.

after short few eeks in '91-192, I headed to Europe, as I was no great slalom competitor by any stretch, and I saw their open DH and SG courses of as just the ticket for my enjoyment.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Groomed cruisers! Wide open groomed cruisers with perfect corduroy. Not too steep - I get going too fast and have to scrub speed.

I like powder on my soft boot setup or my powder skis but not on an alpine board. Last time I tried it I buried the nose and flipped over.

tex1230 said:

"Donner Summit or later?

I rode with those guys for a couple of months in '91"

....before, at Boreal, in '90 (of the '90-91 season, when Burton's best showed their loyalty and stayed with cross-M, whcih landed a team ride with Hot) , when Donner was still dry, and Boreal had manmade, then later that season (90-91) at Donner when they finally got snow.

....clearly you and I met. Jim Rippey was cut from the team two weeks after I came on (he and I were both banned from Boreal for accidentally riding through their 'slow' signs at the base, ripping two of them in half), Mike Kildevaeld trained with us shortly for a couple weeks a month or so later....Kurt Torvig was the assistant coach,( this the season before he began his own program at Squaw).

Jerry and Tara picked my teammate and myself up from our Truckee digs each morning, some mornings one of us would have to ride in the bed of Jerry's pickup, next to his and Tara's dirtbikes (we were thankful when Shaun Palmer bought Jerry's RM, we had more room for the morning commute) ...colder mornings Tara would squeeze us both into the cab.

Tara remains the most solid personality I've ever encountered in snowpsorts.

after short few eeks in '91-192, I headed to Europe, as I was no great slalom competitor by any stretch, and I saw their open DH and SG courses of as just the ticket for my enjoyment.

ok...I was the tall skinny kid on the lib tech...mostly worked with Kurt...lived in Squaw in a house behind the post office. I quit racing after a big dump...Kurt berating me for not showing up at Donner when there was a Huge storm and we were hucking over by the train tunnel :D instead of running gates...

ok...I was the tall skinny kid on the lib tech...mostly worked with Kurt...lived in Squaw in a house behind the post office. I quit racing after a big dump...Kurt berating me for not showing up at Donner when there was a Huge storm and we were hucking over by the train tunnel :D instead of running gates...

....you hung with Rob Wells, right?

you may remember he protested when my buddy and i were competing in the squaw valley series, saying that pros shouldn't be allowed to

compete in it. did you live with some guys off of tiger tail?

you remember "Fly"?

great to read you, here. i'm presently not far from you, back in my hometown in Orange County, NY. maybe we'll catch up for some turns:biggthump

I'm curious: what do you ride on a day like this? I never heard you talking about softboots... well maybe once.

well, I said firm perfect groom, so that would be hardboots and any one of my 3 alpine decks.

I think you meant, what do I ride when there's powder, and that would be my '97 Burton Custom 164 and yes, softboots.

shades.jpg

c. 1995

Haven't been able to justify upgrading the old soft gear. I think when it finally disintegrates I will get an Axxess and go 100% hardboots.

....you hung with Rob Wells, right?

you may remember he protested when my buddy and i were competing in the squaw valley series, saying that pros shouldn't be allowed to

compete in it. did you live with some guys off of tiger tail?

you remember "Fly"?

great to read you, here. i'm presently not far from you, back in my hometown in Orange County, NY. maybe we'll catch up for some turns:biggthump

Yep - Rob, Jason Morvay, and Chris "Uncle E"

Lived on Lanny Lane with about 20 guys in a big house...A-frame on the corner...always a party there...

You riding this weekend?? I'm heading up to Bretton Woods today after work.

I still have a soft setup, but the board is a noodle (1992 burton Air 6.1) and the boots are too soft. I upgraded the boots in 2001 (I previously had some Airwalk Advantage with the big rubber lower part), but I did not know back then about the difference in flex, so I have some very soft freestyle boots.

I got a used Burton Alp this year to try an all mountain board in soft snow conditions (I already tried my freecarve board in soft loose snow), but I didn't like the width, so it's either a narrow all mountain or going back to soft boots for soft snow. The jury is still out on this one...

I voted for pow, but gotta say that the feeling of carving(on a day when I've got my mojo workin) on groomed two to three days after some fresh is equally thrilling, especially if I'm holding onto the steepest slopes without skidding.Both sensations are as good as sex, but maybe that's an off topic subject.

Both sensations are as good as sex, but maybe that's an off topic subject.

See, when I made that comparison I was told that I wasn't doing it right (the latter of the two). I couldn't really argue with it though, because I have had alot more practice on a board...

3 ft. of unconsolidated fresh on virgin snow is the best treat imaginable, and on a real pow stick you can laugh at all the people struggling on trauma park boards. I have had many more memorable days on perfect groom than in the pow, though. And icy groomed snow scares off most people, so the privacy of carving that stuff is unique, as is the sound you make. My favorite is late season backcountry, June/July, when you know most everyone else has given up, and you are doing what you love, when they are mowing the lawn!

I know I'm going to have a fun day when I step onto the snow at the lift and it "squeeks" underneath my boots. After experiencing "Tahoe Snow" for the first time on an alpine rig recently at Heavenly I finally understood what people have been talking about when they say the snow there is awesome. I'm definitely planning a trip or two over there next season. :biggthump
Hi Paul ,I will see you next year at Heavenly. Groom is fun Cuban

I'll take untracked trees and steeps over groomers any day, anywhere except back East.

However, since this is a carving forum, I'd have to say I actually prefer cutting holes in the earth on a warm, almost slushy day. 48 degrees, sunny and about 11:30 on a midweek day. Not too hard, no slush piles, but good ol' soft cornsnow that let's you turn upside down.

And, add some rollers into the mix so you can launch directly into a screaming backside carve, jeez... I love springtime. One of my favorite turns comes at the apex of a roller where you get that extra oomph, the weightless-yet-connected drop into the next tongue-dragger...

Rockies, Sierras, Cascades... just do it!