Note to New Members ×

Board Transport

tex1230

So I've been thinking about buying a Thule rooftop box...end of season sales and all...

But I would have to take it off every time I want to park inside...

I read on the carver's almanac that some people put their board in bags to protect them on rooftop racks (I have a normal Yakima clamp-style rackand use it for my son's skis and rentals, but don't like to carry my boards up there because of all the road salt we get on the east coast)

Does anyone here use a bag in a rack? where can I find a bag that is long enough for boards onto the mid-180's and wou't have a bunch of loose fabric flapping around and shredding itself?

Sure, they take a few minutes and 2 people to put on, but it's worth it to just be able to dump all your gear in there. I like knowing it's locked up and out of sight (I usually take 2 boards to the hill and don't like leaving one in the back of the car). Plus, when all your gear is wet and muddy at the end of the day it can all just go in the box. No struggling to put boards in bags amongst all the carpark slush, and then you have a gross wet bag to deal with when you get home. Yuck. The box just comes off and we store it upright in a corner of the garage, it doesn't take up much room.

We also find ours great in the summer for hauling the camping gear, especially when we want to use the back of the car to sleep in.

The box goes on the rack doesn't it? Instead of having the clamps on there you just have the box.

I was gonna say another thing. What we did is stretch wrap our gear (similar to saran wrap, only tougher) and stick it in the rack. Worked pretty good, but that was for a long trip. It'd be a pain to do for a daily thing.

If you have someone handy with a sewing machine (just marry an seamstress), cut the square end of the ski bag open and sew it flat. It makes a great fit for one alpine board. Just cut off all the straps and buckles so they don't flap around.

Are boxes quieter than racks? I'd imagine they are. I just lothe that howling sound up there when I drive.

My new Yakima Sky Box Pro has claws that attach to any style of racks with a push of four cam style levers inside. Four boards with bags fit plus room for maybe one or two more. It opens from either side, and I can remove it without any help in maybe 20 seconds. Just wish I could fit boots and boards in at the same time. Oh, and no freaking wind howl.

i have the thule box. it is really good for trips with multiple people and lots of equipment (usually 5 pairs of skis and 2 boards), but without alot of gear, things tend to slide side to side. also, the box limits the length of board you can put in. i have a 177 tanker which fits fine, but my coiler is a no go.

as for taking it on and off, my thule doesn't requre tools, it just has hand tighten knobs inside that attach to the roof rack, so on and off is really not that hard.

Why not put the boards in a double ski tube and tie that to the rack? Like a mini-Thule.

I was thinking of doing that, but the SportTube things don't open in a convenient way. You would probably have to take the whole tube off the rack to take the boards out, and it would be cumbersome if you had more than one board in there, or if you had your boots in there as well. Then you'd have to relash it to the car and repeat the process at the end of the day to get the boards back in the tube.

just put my boards, skis, bikes, dogs, etc inside

I wouldn't mind the dogs moving back and forth between front and back... but I'm a little concerned about sharp edges flyin' around the inside of my Explorer should I have an accident while driving. I'm planning on getting a roof box for next season.

Brad

My Boardsleeves. Fit in a sportube, good to take on the hill for board check or extra race boards, fully padded. Prices are still sketchy cause they are hand made locally but can be customized to length. the boards in the pics go up to 179. I have used these in a rocket box or in the back of the car too. They will fit in a rack as long as the bar width is sufficient but are not completely waterproof. If you are interested in one you can expect to pay from 50$ for a single to 100 for a triple. Keep in mind the triple will only accommodate one full set of bindings with second board kits on the other boards. I have plenty more pics where these came from. Some lucky winners walked away with a single and a triple at the session. If you know who won, I would like to contact them for feedback. Thanks, Art

post-120-141842230122_thumb.jpg

post-120-141842230124_thumb.jpg

post-120-141842230125_thumb.jpg

I use a board sock, similar to a surfboard sock, that I put my board in before I put it in my Yakima powder hound ski racks. I went looking for one and couldn't find the website Boardsock shop that I bought it from. Oh well I guess when my ragged sock dies I'll just sew a new one myself. Anyway find a surfshop that also sells snowboards and it's likely they will have snowboard socks

tex,

How much clearance do you have between your vehicles roof rack and the top of your garage door? Just trying to get an idea. There are some fairly flat roof boxes around, but if you are talking only a matter of 5 or 6 inches clearance currently, then that might even rule out those.